R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAnti sway or Equalizer hitch ??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 17>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anti sway or Equalizer hitch ??
    Posted: 27 Aug 2012 at 8:02am
Originally posted by Footslogger03

Just as another point of reference      ...e-trailer.com offers some great internet deals now and then. That's where we got our "Equal-i-zer" 600/6,000 hitch. As previously mentioned though, you need to buy the "ball" separately because they normally install these on larger trailers that accept a ball that is larger than 2" and the Pod trailer will only accept the 2" size. Plus, the ball needs to have a larger (thicker) shank and be of a certain length so that it won't interfere with the hitch itself. The ball we needed was called an "8K" ball because it was rated at 8,000 lbs. Equal-i-zer and other manufacturers make these but they are generally not available (at least in my experience) at local hardware stores or Walmart/Kmart.

'Slogger

I thought the RPODS used a 2 5/16" ball.
"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2012 at 8:27am
2 inches is standard for the pods, and most trailers.  I think you need to get into the really heavy rigs before you get to the larger ball (and many of them will have a 5th wheel or "ring" hitch instead).
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2012 at 8:55am

OK, thanks.  I think I'm confusing it with my Jayco.  I think that has the  2 5/16" ball.  As far as this E2 hitch, when you purchase the ball, is there enough space to use the wrench to install it or do you need to spend the outrageous price for that thin-walled socket?  I have the long wrench, but not the socket.

"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road
Footslogger03 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2012 at 9:19am
Yes    ...you need a large thin walled socket (3/4" drive) to tighten the bolt on the ball shank. I went to ACE Hardware and bought a 3/4" breaker bar to snug it down rather than use an adapter on my 1/2" bar (which is shorter and has less leverage. I paid around $38 for the socket   ...but now I've got one in my tool box. Another thing is that all 2" balls are not created equal. You need the 8,000lb rated balls with a 1/14" diameter shank that is 2 3/8" long.

'Slogger
Livin' the Dream    ...'Slogger
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2012 at 9:21am
Originally posted by this_is_nascar

OK, thanks.  I think I'm confusing it with my Jayco.  I think that has the  2 5/16" ball.  As far as this E2 hitch, when you purchase the ball, is there enough space to use the wrench to install it or do you need to spend the outrageous price for that thin-walled socket?  I have the long wrench, but not the socket.

I bought a thin walled socket from an autoparts store and it worked fine. I don't think you can get the long wrench on the nut but I don't have the hitch right here to check. 
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2012 at 9:24am

Yes    ...you need a large thin walled socket (3/4" drive) to tighten the bolt on the ball shank. I paid around $38 for it   ...but now I've got one in my tool box. Another thing is that all 2" balls are not created equal. You need the 8,000lb rated balls with a 1/14" diameter shank that is 2 3/8" long.

'Slogger

I could not find a 1 1/4 inch shank 2 inch ball so I talked to a trailer hitch place and they had a spacer that went around the 1 inch to fit the 1 1/4 hole.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2012 at 9:30am
I'm no expert here    ...but I am not certain that the thinner shank with a sleeve has the same rating as a 1 1/4" shank. I had to order one. They are commonly referred to as an "8K" hitch ball. I actually ordered mine directly from Equal-i-zer who, by the way, makes and sells both the Equalizer hitch AND the E2 hitch. Can't remember the exact price of the ball but it wasn't that much and from what I understand you are supposed to use a ball of that capacity as part of the warrany.

'Slogger

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2012 at 10:26am
For what it's worth    ...when I ordered my Equal-i-zer WDH on-line (e-trailer.com) there was a comment at the bottom of the page that said   ..."this hitch requires the 2 5/16" Ball with a 1 1/4" x 2 3/8" shank. Without going out and measuring the hitch on the Pod I went ahead and ordered that ball with the hitch kit.

Long story short   ...I now have that ball sitting on my workbench, since I ended up having to order a 2" ball after the fact. If anyone is interested in buying it just let me know.

'Slogger
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2012 at 12:46pm

I'm no expert here    ...but I am not certain that the thinner shank with a sleeve has the same rating as a 1 1/4" shank. I had to order one. They are commonly referred to as an "8K" hitch ball. I actually ordered mine directly from Equal-i-zer who, by the way, makes and sells both the Equalizer hitch AND the E2 hitch. Can't remember the exact price of the ball but it wasn't that much and from what I understand you are supposed to use a ball of that capacity as part of the warrany.

'Slogger

You are correct a 1 inch shank only has a 5K rating but since a 2 inch ball only has a 5K rating as well there is no issue with using the sleeve since you are not going to get a trailer over 5K with a 2 inch ball on it. 
danthoman View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2012 at 9:28pm
After reading all the posts I think I've decided on the 8k E2 wdh but I'm still concerned about the noise problem I keep hearing about.  Is this really an issue?  I haven't heard about any noise problems with the andersen hitch.  Maybe I'll go with that instead.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 17>