R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAnti sway or Equalizer hitch ??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 17>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anti sway or Equalizer hitch ??
    Posted: 19 Aug 2012 at 11:12pm
Verdict is friction sway bar, no WD. I do have a WDH but after 300 miles so far I don't think I'll be needing it.
Bill & Marilyn, Tinker Belle (Yorkie), Sparkle (Mini Dachshund) & Tootsie (the turtle) '12 RP175 '07 Dodge Ram 1500
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2012 at 6:49am
Originally posted by Bill Ky

Verdict is friction sway bar, no WD. I do have a WDH but after 300 miles so far I don't think I'll be needing it.

Like many other topics such as "to cover or not to cover", others feel stongly otherwise.  Smile

"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road
Footslogger03 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2012 at 10:34am
Originally posted by Bill Ky

=========================

When I was researching them I found that the models with the widest usage/better reputations were WDH with Stabilization. Truth be told   ...after doing the measurments we probably didn't need a lot of weight distribution control either (depending on how much "stuff" we crammed into the Pod) but I look at it as a little "insurance". In installing the hitch I didn't position it for "maximum" weight distribution so that the stress on the tow vehicle or the trailer frame would not be excessive and it also pretty much eliminated the "metal on metal" noise. By the way   ...we bought the Equal-i-zer (600/6,000 model).

'Slogger
Livin' the Dream    ...'Slogger
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2012 at 2:54pm
I have an E2 WDH with sway control and I just got back from a 2000 mile trip. This is the longest trip I have taken with the pod. I was carrying a 130 lbs generator on the tongue of the pod so I really needed the WDH. It took me two days to get the WDH set properly. I put axle risers on the pod and added weight to the tongue so all my settings had changed.  I drove for 2 hours the first day and the trailer swayed a little in the wind and was porpoising a little. The first day I raised the brackets to give me a little more Weight Distribution. That was a lot better but I needed a little more sway control so I put another washer on the head to angle it down a little bit more and that did the trick. In a strong cross wind I can get a little bit of sway but it is more than manageable and I don't want to put anymore spring in because I don't want to take weight off the back wheels. With the short wheelbase of my Jeep Liberty and the extra tongue weight I would not feel safe without the WDH and sway control.  The creaking and groaning from the metal on metal sway control freaked my wife out though. 

Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2012 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by Seanl

I have an E2 WDH with sway control and I just got back from a 2000 mile trip. This is the longest trip I have taken with the pod. I was carrying a 130 lbs generator on the tongue of the pod so I really needed the WDH. It took me two days to get the WDH set properly. I put axle risers on the pod and added weight to the tongue so all my settings had changed.  I drove for 2 hours the first day and the trailer swayed a little in the wind and was porpoising a little. The first day I raised the brackets to give me a little more Weight Distribution. That was a lot better but I needed a little more sway control so I put another washer on the head to angle it down a little bit more and that did the trick. In a strong cross wind I can get a little bit of sway but it is more than manageable and I don't want to put anymore spring in because I don't want to take weight off the back wheels. With the short wheelbase of my Jeep Liberty and the extra tongue weight I would not feel safe without the WDH and sway control.  The creaking and groaning from the metal on metal sway control freaked my wife out though. 

The E2 trunnion version is what I'm going to get.  Was the basic installation difficult?  I'm not exactly the handiest of people.

"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2012 at 5:01pm
If you use the online tools available on the main Equalizer web site (I don't think they are on the E2 site) then the initial setup isn't bad.  I didn't have those tools and I spent hours getting my setup right.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2012 at 8:16pm
Originally posted by this_is_nascar

Originally posted by Seanl

The E2 trunnion version is what I'm going to get.  Was the basic installation difficult?  I'm not exactly the handiest of people.

The manual that comes with the hitch is very good at explaining setup. What happened to me was I added over 100 pounds to the tongue of my trailer so my original setup was to light. 
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
Burt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2012 at 10:28am

Burt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2012 at 10:35am
We have an RP171 and the TV is a Ford Ranger 4..0 L V6, 4WD.  We did put on a weight distribution set and later added the sway bar (right side only).  We live and play near the Columbia River Gorge which can get gale force winds.  The POD rides perfectly and has never swayed or been a "rocking" issue.  It tows nicely.

If you live in an area that can get unexpected storms or gusts, both weight distribution and sway bars are recommended and our experiences are proof of that.  Coming up the Columbia River gorge has many areas where downdrafts from the higher mountains can and do bring wind blasts unexpectedly. Crossing the Columbia River bridges can be very windy at times.   The stability of both has been very helpful for our setup.

Good choosing.

Burt, Laura the White Tornado and Buddy the Wonder Labradork.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2012 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by Burt

We have an RP171 and the TV is a Ford Ranger 4..0 L V6, 4WD.  We did put on a weight distribution set and later added the sway bar (right side only).  We live and play near the Columbia River Gorge which can get gale force winds.  The POD rides perfectly and has never swayed or been a "rocking" issue.  It tows nicely.

If you live in an area that can get unexpected storms or gusts, both weight distribution and sway bars are recommended and our experiences are proof of that.  Coming up the Columbia River gorge has many areas where downdrafts from the higher mountains can and do bring wind blasts unexpectedly. Crossing the Columbia River bridges can be very windy at times.   The stability of both has been very helpful for our setup.

Good choosing.

Burt, Laura the White Tornado and Buddy the Wonder Labradork.

Which WDH system are you using?
"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 17>