R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: The answer to the sewer flusher problems? Maybe!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe answer to the sewer flusher problems? Maybe!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: The answer to the sewer flusher problems? Maybe!
    Posted: 13 Jul 2012 at 12:47am
I was doing some mods on the under-bunk storage area today putting in support to hold the lid up:

Then I decided to look under the other part that is screwed down to see what is under the area of mystery. (I'm just nosy!)

Here's what I found:

On the left is the shower/toilet wall, and the right side wall is the garage area of our 182G. The white hose is the sewer flush-out valve that wraps around and disappears into the shower wall. It had been zip-tied to the cold & hot water lines, and had a major kink in it - I'm surprised any water got through at all. You can see the kink after I removed the zip tie.

I was surprised to find out that the flush-out hose does not go directly into the black tank, but instead goes up the wall where the small sink is in the wet bath:

You can see it return back down on the left side of the hot/cold lines, then go into the black tank. I couldn't see where it went, but I suspect that the relief valve that another poster was having problems with (sprayed water on her floor when black tank valve was not opened) is mounted up behind the sink. By the way, the black waste line is from the sink in the back of the garage area, and goes directly into the GRAY tank, not the black tank like others here have mentioned about their 181G's.

To fix the kink, I moved the white hose over and clamped it and screwed it down in a position where it would not kink again:

If I have time in the future, I may see about putting hinges on this lid, building a box to set in here so as not to have loose cargo hitting the wires/lines and take advantage of some of this wasted space.

My question is: would this kink in the hose to flush the black tank be the reason why the relief valve ended up spraying water on the floor of the other poster's Pod? Or was is just because the black tank valve was not opened up? If FR kinks this hose on all the models that have a sewer flush line, it might be a possible explanation...you never know. Some of you might want to look into this area and see what's there.

2011 R-Pod 182G Hood River Edition
"Ribbitt" Pod (now sold)
2000 Ford F150 5.4L V8 TV
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2012 at 8:16am
A shame that with such a small camper to start with, so much wasted space has been found - in all models.  In the example above, if the factory moved all of the lines to one side or the other and then putting a low box around it would allow you to use 85% of the area.  Plus it would look clean/tidy.

To use it in its current state, either just put light items in there like blankets, towel, toilet paper, etc.  Or put a bunch of 1 inch spacers on the bottom of a piece of plywood to create a false floor.  It won't hide the drain pipe but as long as you don't put anything heavy on top of the pipe you'll be ok.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
2Peas-n-Rpod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2012 at 12:30pm
The false floor is a great idea, Doug! I can easily box in the waste pipe, then add the false floor and gain some more storage for things we don't use very often. Great idea! Thumbs Up

Update: I just finished putting hinges on this section, and will be using it on our upcoming trip to store "soft" items, such as extra towels, toilet paper, and paper towels. That sure frees up some more space! I will attempt the false floor idea when we return from our trip to McCall, ID.
"Ribbitt" Pod (now sold)
Goose View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2012 at 3:16pm
  2Peas, we had a Tornado installed by the dealer to clean the blackwater tank before we brought the POD home the first time. I am sure that it is the same as the blackwater clean-out that now comes standard in your trailer. I use it after the tank has drained and close the valve to refill the tank and let it spray water all over to clean the sensors and any crud that is left and have never had any water spray out. I make sure that co-pilot does not open the valve on the toilet for any reason, I don't think that I would let her in the jump seat after getting wet with anything that comes out of that tank.   Goose
Mother Goose's Caboose..2011 RP171..07 Grand Cherokee
2Peas-n-Rpod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2012 at 11:53pm
Goose, I can see it now: "Hey, honey, can you sit on the toilet while I run water through the clean-out? Oh yeah, hold the lever open just a bit. It will help, really it will!" :-D
"Ribbitt" Pod (now sold)
 Post Reply Post Reply