Topic Closed2 Month Trip Out West

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2 Month Trip Out West
    Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 6:43am
Big smile Just returned from the trip I had been planning for 2 years. We left Florida on April 30 and returned on July 7th.
 Drove 11500 miles; camped in 21 states; visited 12 National Parks and 8 National Monuments and
got snowed on 2 days while visiting Yellowstone National Park. Temperatures ranges from 27 degrees to 108 degrees.
 My wife and I went with another couple who have a 2010 24' Passport Travel Trailer; I have a 2010 R-Pod 177. Both Trailers preformed flawlessly. The only problem I had was the night my wife says I'm tired of that faucet leaking and them she's holding the cold water handle in her hand above her head and a foot high gyser of water is flowing from where the handle used to be attached to the faucet. I quickly turned off the pump and pushed the broken handle back on. Luckly we were not on city water but using the fresh water from the tank. Only had maybe a gallon of water to clean up. Next day I bought a new faucet and replaced the broken one.
 The only way to work on the sink faucet is to removed the sink and this exposes all of the water connections. Very easy to do.
 We took our time and tried to only travel about 330 miles each time we moved. We had built in rest days. We stayed 2 days at the Grand Canyon; 7 days at Yellowstone National Park and 7 days at Custer State Park. Camped in 14 State Parks; 10 COE Parks and 5 Private Campgrounds.
 The most enjoyable states were Wyoming; South Dakota; Arizona; New Mexico; Nevada and Idaho.
 The best places we visited were Yellowstone National Park and Custer State Park.
 We saw so many Buffalo; Pronghorn Antalope and Elk in Wyoming and South Dakota, that we had withdrawell for several days from not seeing them anymore.
 Really saved alot of money by using the Senor Pass and Camping World ( Good Sam ) cards.
 I will post pictures later. I took lots and lots of pictures.
 One of the best times was in Las Vegas. We visited friends who live in Henderson Nv. and they gave us the grand tour of Las Vegas and Hoover Dam. First night we went to a show and the " Strip " and the second we went downtown  to the old section of Las Vegas.
 I enjoyed the older section better thaan the Strip. I even did a Zip Line down Freemont Street in downtown Las Vegas.
  Overall was a Fantastic Trip.

Tom and Linda
R-Pod 177
Southwest Florida
Footslogger03 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 9:24am
Sounds like a great trip. We did a 3 monther last year "back east", since home for us is Wyoming.

Interesting that one of your stops was Custer State Park in SD. We are actually headed there (Sylvan Lake) next week for a 4 day campout. Linking up with another Pod owner. What did you think about Custer ? Have never been there before so we're pretty psyched.

Glad your trip went well. We also have a 177 and plan our days around 350 miles. Seems to be an agreable pace. Allows for a nice breakfast, a good morning on the road, nice lunch and then finishing up the day and getting to the next campground in plenty of time to set up before dinner and "happy hour"

Looking forward to seeing your pics.

MJ
Livin' the Dream    ...'Slogger
DocTom View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 10:12am
Sounds like a dream road trip to me. Glad all went well and you had a great time. Looking forward to the pictures!
Brush and Floss, It is the Secret of Life!
Goose View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 10:54am
  What a great time!!!!!!!!!!! Goose
Mother Goose's Caboose..2011 RP171..07 Grand Cherokee
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 11:17am
Wow, that is a great trip!  Back in the 80's my parents took the family around the US for 5 weeks, like you we got snow in Yellowstone, and that was my favorite stop of the trip, too.  I'm looking forward to pics.

We are gearing up to take my family around the US in several smaller loops over the next few summers.  Don't know yet if we are doing 2 or 3 summers.  Probably 2 1/2 weeks at a time, I could arrange to do 4+ weeks at one time but I think we'll enjoy it more if we break it up.  Plus we won't have to save up as much money at one time.  I will keep your mileage tip in mind as we plan - if you have any other recommendations/tips, especially long-term-pod-trip related, I'm all ears.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
g4royce View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 12:33pm
Wow! Wonderful trip. Can't wait to see the pics.  
ChaiPod
2009 RP152
2011 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.5L V6
GrandPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 9:10pm
All of us really loved Custer State Park; We camped at the other end of the park, Game Lodge and Grace Cooledge. We did go up to Sylvan Lake area; This is one of the prettiest area we saw. The Needle highway is quite a road to travel; Several tunnels and lots of fantastic views and curves.
 We traveled the Iron Mountain Road when we went to Mount Rushmore. Also great views and curves.
 Most of the wildlife we saw was in the southern half of the park; Lots of Buffalo and Antalopes. We travel the wildlife loop road almost every evening in search of the Buffalo and Antalopes also lots of Prarie dogs and even some donkeys and several Turkeys.

Tom and Linda
R-Pod 177
Southwest Florida
KayakkrazyUP View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 9:25pm
What is your TV for such a trip, GrandPod?
Iteach5th View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 9:40pm
Sounds like a wonderful trip. Look forward to the pictures
"Whether you think you can or think you can't, either way you are right"- Henry Ford

2011 RP-177
2009 Jeep Cherokee
1982 Coleman Redwood pup
kozyinn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2012 at 8:36pm
We just bought a 2011 Rpod 177 and are anxious to try it out. Short trips this year and (hopefully) a trip similar to yours next year. Is there any way we could get a copy of your route?
Dennis and Sherrie
2010 GMC Yukon
2011 Rpod 177
 Post Reply Post Reply