R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedStorage

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Storage
    Posted: 11 Jul 2012 at 8:21pm
Greetings from 2 new pod owners.  We have purchased a 171 Hood River edition and I have already made some changes.  We haven't even de-winterized yet but are going out next week on maiden voyage.

Great news for you all...The Home Depot "Homer" buckets fit perfectly under the mattress lift up!!!  They are also a very inexpensive way to make an LED light for under your RDOME.  I purchased HD's 18 foot LED light "rope," put it inside a homer bucket coiled inside a plastic vinegar jug to diffuse the led lights and left the cord sticking out and plan to use it for outdoor lighting later when we make our maiden voyage.  The HD buckets also  also nestle nicely together and have handles for any other use needed while camping.  Hoses and cords coils nicelyin them.

Other news, I took out the screw fasteners in the covers over the Hot water tank and over the inverter.  There were no hinges on these covers.  I installed magnetic cabinet closers on all four corners to make easy access and also cut a finger hole into the plywood to make an easy entrance/closing.

Additionally, Installed LED's interior throughout and have on order led marker lights as well as the porch light.

Burt, Laura the White Tornado and Buddy the Wonder Dog

g4royce View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2012 at 9:31pm
Welcome!
ChaiPod
2009 RP152
2011 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.5L V6
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2012 at 9:56pm
Welcome.  I permanently removed the screws above the water heater, too.  The plywood stays in place just fine with the mattress holding it down.  Someone here recently added vents in their converter compartment.  I'm considering doing that and then dividing out some of the usable space around the converter for a little more storage.  Another area to look in the 171 is behind the drawers.  Someone here found there is a lot of unused space behind them.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Goose View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2012 at 10:44pm
  Welcome to the Wonderful World of Podding. Many happy adventures.   Goose
Mother Goose's Caboose..2011 RP171..07 Grand Cherokee
The E Train View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2012 at 11:26pm
I am looking at the drawers, too; my 176T has a lot of unused space there. The drawers could be much longer and I wonder if the slide out has anything to do with that. Like, does the slide out have a deeper counter than the non-slides, and they just use the non-slides drawers.....
"What happens in the POD, stays in the POD."
2002 Dakota (pulling a) 2012 R-Pod 176T
marwayne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 12:10am
Here is what I did with my bank of drawers.
I removed the horizontal stiles between the drawers, that gave me space for another drawer.
Wireing I moved to one side, plumbing to the back.
All in all I trippled the storage space in my bank of drawers

before

after
If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

Camper Bob View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 1:02am
As always your work is impeccable.  You really should call yourself, "Marwayne the Magnificent".   Safe Travels.    
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 1:03pm
Perfect.

I've debated removing them entirely and getting another matching cabinet door from FR.  Then using several stacking trays to store some of the things that work well in drawers, like cooking utensils.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
g4royce View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2012 at 5:50pm
Wow! That is excellent work as always!

Our middle drawer is having problems staying on its track and we are debating taking the drawers out entirely and adding a matching cabinet door just like techntrek mentioned above.  Our main peeve currently is that the storage space in our r.pod is horizontal while our grilling and cooking tools are organized vertically in caddys.

ChaiPod
2009 RP152
2011 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.5L V6
FISHTAIL View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2012 at 4:25pm
Yeah, I removed the screws over the water heater too.  But I installed hinges there instead, so that I can open if it I need too, but it will stay put otherwise.

I didn't do anything fancy with my under sink storage like above, but what I did do was to remove those little panels they have in there and modify them so I could move them around.  I moved the one on the left side over about an inch or two and cut out a corner of it to "key" it to fit over the framing.  The one on the right I moved further right as well, and the one in the back I cut down and moved around behind the plumbing to keep things from getting behind the drawers.  I also moved some of the wiring that was down there to get it out of the way so it wouldn't get damaged, caught or wet when I was putting pots/pans down there.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>