R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDometic AC+Hard Start Capacitor+2000w Generato

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dometic AC+Hard Start Capacitor+2000w Generato
    Posted: 09 Jul 2012 at 4:29pm
Hey Everyone,
My wife and I are planning to full-time in our Pod by the end of the year and travel around the country. This forum has been extremely informative - thank you.

Since we will face all sorts of climates while traveling, we have decided we need a generator capable of powering our stock Dometic air conditioner. I read someone mentioning that the Champion 2000w Inverter Generator was up to the task, so I purchased it, but it sent the unit into overload. I tried installing a Supco hard start capacitor (tried both the SPP6 and SPP6e), but it didn't help. Even with all breakers off but the AC and main, with the generator out of eco mode on a cool night, no luck. As soon as the AC tries to start the compressor, the generator is sent into overload. The odd thing is that when plugged into our 15amp outdoor outlet at our home, the AC will run on the max setting, with the battery charger circuit on, a few lights on, and a laptop plugged in.

Does anyone have any advice? These are the options I have come up with:
  1. Buy another champion and parallel to two when we need the AC (waste of gas and space)
  2. Buy Yamaha's EF2400ishc generator (more power than we typically need, and very expensive)
  3. Install a smaller AC unit and sell the Dometic (probably also expensive, but I haven't done any research yet)
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2012 at 5:50pm
My Champion is 3500 watt running 4000 watt start and it handles all the pod can give it.  If you watch the sales they go for $300 or so fairly regularly.  Selling your current unit and getting one big enough will most likely be the best choice.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
plains View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2012 at 7:02pm
I appreciate the suggestion and will consider it, but I would be concerned with the noise, fuel consumption, and weight. In your experience, how many hours can you get out of a tank of gas, and how big is the tank?

Thanks for the reply.
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2012 at 10:20pm
Mine has a 4 gallon tank, and I have never timed it.  I bought it for the camper and wound up using it for other things.  I know it runs nearly all day on a tank with medium use, but can't help running the air in the pod.  I do know that when the air kicks in the generator doesn't bog down or speed up or anything like that.  It just runs.  Noise level is slightly more than a Honda, but not annoyingly so.  You won't be able to run it in quiet time in a camp ground, but you can't run a Honda then either.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2012 at 10:20pm

Welcome!  If you decide to go with a smaller A/C, we've been kicking around some ideas on another thread here.  Some definitely not-so-cheap ideas, and the latest is really cheap...

http://www.rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1433&title=possible-replacement-for-the-a-c

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2012 at 8:03am
"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road
plains View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2012 at 2:46pm
Ok - so I ended up buying the Ryobi 2000w Inverter Generator from Home Depot today. It retails for $599.99. It seems like it is well built, and it successfully started up my AC on the "AC Fan" setting a couple times, but would only work half the time, and of course flipping back on the breaker for the batter charger would send it into overload. So along with the Champion 2000, the Ryobi will be going back.

Just as a side note - the Champion is whisper quiet compared to the Ryobi. The Champion running full out is quieter than the Ryobi rubbing on auto-idle (their version of eco throttle). Though the Champion can't run the AC (or at least my AC), I would highly recommend it. It only cost $490 at Sam's Club, and the noise, fuel efficiency, and weight are all nearly identical to the Honda EU2000i.

Looks like I'm on the market for a Yamaha EF2400iSCH...
Panama Red View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2012 at 3:36pm
Or you can buy two Honda 2000i's and hook them up in parallel.
plains View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2012 at 4:14pm
I considered that option, well with two Champions as they cost less than half the price, but it would burn more fuel than the Yamaha.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2012 at 4:30pm
Odd that you are having so much trouble.  The newer A/Cs used on the pods are much more efficient than older RV A/Cs.  I measured mine running at 1000 watts (1100 VA) a while ago, with the fan on low.  Granted, the startup surge will make or break you but I would expect a 2000 watt genset to work.  Are you sure something else isn't on that you are missing - like the electric element in the water heater?
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>