Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Events and Campouts
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHeat

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Heat
    Posted: 01 Jul 2012 at 9:20pm
Donna and I did last thursday and friday night at Hoosier National Forest, it is the hotest temps we have so far endured. OOhh I put an inside and outside wireless temp gauge in, and we saw 101 thursday afternoon and 103 friday. We hiked 4.5 miles and went to tipsaw beach, but alas, it was too hot. we pulled out Saturday 6/30 morning early to beat the heat, the pod was cool inside with the a/c on, but it is so noisy. Noise is better than hot. We are looking forward to fall camping.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2012 at 9:49pm
We were in Glendale in Elizabethtown.  Gauges had us at 105 Friday night as we set up camp and 103 on Saturday.

We got our butts up early this morning hitched up the Pod, came home and cancelled our reservations for next weekend so that we could recover!
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2012 at 7:37am
I wish you had siad that was where you were at.. We drove RIGHT by Saturday. 
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2012 at 8:50am
Yuh, we usually spend beginning of July and the 4th their for our anniversary each year, they usually have a pretty good fireworks show but of course it was cancelled because of the burn ban.
Dulcinea54935 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2012 at 12:46pm
We spent last weekend in the Twin Cities area of Minnesota, Dakota Regional Park.  Using just the fan in the camper kept things bearable during the day and temperatures very comfortable for sleeping -- without a cover, however.  The campground was located basically just across the street from the Minneapolis Zoo, which we visited twice and handy to shopping and museums.  
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2012 at 9:57pm
No A/C?
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Podsible Dream View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2012 at 5:29pm
Just got in from 3 nights down in the Jersey Pine Barrens. 100 plus for Friday and Saturday. No electricity in NJ state parks! So we roughed it. Slept in the screen house two nights, and after thunderstorm on Saturday evening, in the pod. I found some 12 volt clip on fans at Walmart on clearance and put in some cigar lighter outlets front and back, so we did have moving air.
We sure didn't do much moving around , though!! Great birding though - saw a bald eagle flying along the Wading River at about 40 feet, on it's way some where! Lots of small birds in the pine/oak scrub. Including a pair of Prairie Warblers - a pretty yellow with black stripping little bird. Whip-poor-wills kept us entertained almost all night! There was a tree between us and the next site with a hollow in it and busy pair of flickers feeding a hungry brood all day.
Looked like the heat kept folks home- the camp ground area we were in had more than 125 sites - maybe 20 were filled, and many had reserved tags, but no occupants!

We survived with lots of water and iced tea. A bag of ice 7 lbs lasted barely 18 hours, but the little frig on propane kept Italian Ices frozen just fine!
Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Dodge Durango Crew 5.7 L Hemi V8
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2012 at 7:59pm
Cool!  Tongue
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2012 at 9:39pm
Podsible, I love going to sleep to the song of the whiporwill, nothing like it, unles its Southern Indiana Kady did's (cicada) what a sweet song, I hate it during hot weather and Donna makes me close the bedroom windows and I can't hear the critters outside in the woods behind our house, we are heading out next weekend to enjoy it first hand.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2012 at 7:56am
Originally posted by Podsible Dream

Just got in from 3 nights down in the Jersey Pine Barrens. 100 plus for Friday and Saturday. No electricity in NJ state parks! So we roughed it. Slept in the screen house two nights, and after thunderstorm on Saturday evening, in the pod. I found some 12 volt clip on fans at Walmart on clearance and put in some cigar lighter outlets front and back, so we did have moving air.
We sure didn't do much moving around , though!! Great birding though - saw a bald eagle flying along the Wading River at about 40 feet, on it's way some where! Lots of small birds in the pine/oak scrub. Including a pair of Prairie Warblers - a pretty yellow with black stripping little bird. Whip-poor-wills kept us entertained almost all night! There was a tree between us and the next site with a hollow in it and busy pair of flickers feeding a hungry brood all day.
Looked like the heat kept folks home- the camp ground area we were in had more than 125 sites - maybe 20 were filled, and many had reserved tags, but no occupants!

We survived with lots of water and iced tea. A bag of ice 7 lbs lasted barely 18 hours, but the little frig on propane kept Italian Ices frozen just fine!

I'm very familiar with the area (live about 30-miles away).  Wow, you have more nerve than I do.  It was way too hot for camping like that, in my opinion.  Matter of fact, we have a seasonal campsite in the pines (my larger Jayco) and decided not to go down to the campsite due to the heat and we have full hook-ups there.
"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>