Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedtowing with Tacoma

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: towing with Tacoma
    Posted: 29 Jun 2012 at 4:38pm
Does anyone on the forum tow an Rpod with a Toyota Tacoma?
How does it do?
Will I need WDH?

Thanks
Patrick
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2012 at 3:10pm
I do.  I having been using one, but have been considering it.  Search the threads and and on the other R-Pod forum.  There are many of us towing with a Tacoma.
"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road
Kickstart View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2012 at 3:57pm
I did, and still would be, but when I went looking for a new truck, I got a better financial deal on my Tundra. My Tacoma was much like nascar's , and did a fine job towing our RP 175 in a pretty tough area to tow travel trailers (10-12 mpg towing the foothills and passes of WA State). I recommend a WDH, as any Tacomas without the Factory 4 leaf rear spring TSB are pretty lightly sprung. A WDH will also help lessen the hobby horsing that all single axle trailers exhibit. A WDH can also help lessen sway due to improper loading, winds, and 16 wheeler semi-suck. I continue to use my cheap, old school EAZ Lift. There are a ton of different brands of WDH, properly sized, that would do well with a Taco/Pod combination.

There are Tacos, and there are Tacos. If you have a 4.0 w/tow package, you'll do fine. If you have a 4 cyl or a v/6 w/no tow pack, not so good to a greater or lesser degree.
'10 RP 175-Replaced by 2014 Kodiak 173 QBSL
'12 Toyota Tundra
'05 Sportster (half a Harley)
Retired-We're on Beach Time!
Footslogger03 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2012 at 6:07pm
Originally posted by pjmingus

Does anyone on the forum tow an Rpod with a Toyota Tacoma?
How does it do?

Will I need WDH?

Thanks

Patrick

============================================

We do - - 2011 Tacoma 4Dr/Short Bed - 4L/6Cyl - 6spd standard trans.

It does "OK" most of the time but struggles with sudden changes in grade now and then. That's when I am glad I have the 6 gears. Thought about moving up to the Tundra but not willing to add the horsepower and lose the mileage just to cover the % of driving when I'm towing our Pod (177)

As for a Weight Distribution/Stabilization hitch     ...we just bought one (Equalizer 600/6,000) and having it put on in couple weeks as we head out on our way to Custer State Park. Reason for going with the WDH is that on our shakedown trip last month we encountered some cross winds and passed a few 18 wheelers that caused some considerable fish-tailing. Didn't like that feeling. Might not have needed the Weight Distribution part   ...but it comes with the Equalizer package. Looking forward to the peace of mind that a sudden gust of wind (which is common out here in Wyoming" or passing an oncoming semi won't cause any sway.

Not saying that you HAVE to have a WDH     ...in fact, it's a personal thing/decision - - but I am happy we made the leap !

MJ
Livin' the Dream    ...'Slogger
Kickstart View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2012 at 7:57pm
Footslogger, I, too, worried about everyday mileage when I moved up from my Taco to my Tundra. I'm happy to say my Tundra with the baby 4.6 v/8 is beating the mileage of my former 4.0 v/6 Tacoma. I generally got 18-21 mpg with the Taco, and I've been getting 19-23 with the Tundra. Caveats are that I'm old, do the speed limit, and don't do much stop and go town driving. I've always hand figured each tank, but use my calibrated ScanGauge (a wonderful man-toy) to let me know how I'm doing during my current trip.

For me, the Taco was never lacking for power towing the Pod, and unlike lots of folks, I wouldn't be satisfied with anything much smaller than the Tacoma for pulling a small trailer. With the Tacoma I used the automatic tow/haul which locked out 5th. Most of the time was spent in 4th, only occasionally 3rd, and that was on some pretty fair pulls. I always thought the Tacoma and the RP 175 was a real fine fit, but I gotta admit it's nice being back with and having the reserve of a  full sized P/U.    
'12 Toyota Tundra
Footslogger03 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2012 at 8:04pm
Kickstart      ...the reason I am waiting on the upgrade to a larger Toyota truck is that I have a little "insider" info that they are about to put the balanced intake/exhaust version of the 4.0 Liter engine in the Tacoma - - like they did in the Highlander.

That engine has more horsepower and better gas mileage than my current Taco AND    ...I can get it with a 6Spd Manual Transmission. I'm "relatively" old too and have a heart condition. That being said, I still like shifting gears and driving according to the tachometer.

But, I am glad that the 4.6L Tundra is working for you. If I could have gotten that truck a year ago WITH standard transmission I would have.

MJ

PS    ...I don't consider a Sporster to be "half" a Harley - - just sayin'
Livin' the Dream    ...'Slogger
Kickstart View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2012 at 9:12pm
Footslogger, a Tacoma with that upgrade would really be a Steak Taco! There's lots about my Tacoma that I miss, and I really do love my Sportster. I just try not to take myself too seriously. No offense meant to anyone but myself, as after 45 years in the saddle and a couple decades plus more before that, my body tells me that my bike time is all too short! I guess when I no longer have a motorcycle in the garage, I'll have to admit to really being old.
P/S I'm bettin' you'll like what the new hitch does for ya. 
'12 Toyota Tundra
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2012 at 10:29am
pjmingus - welcome!
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
MTMatt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2012 at 5:53pm
I am currently towing my 176 with my 2006 tacoma 4 cylinder 5 speed manual w/tow package. It's a slow tow up the passes here in MT, overall though, it tows just fine. I'm pretty happy with the 176 so far, just picked it up last week!

Live to hunt and fish Montana
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2012 at 9:05pm
And welcome to MTMatt.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>