R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSafety Recall

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>
Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Safety Recall
    Posted: 04 Oct 2012 at 2:41pm
Interesting.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Kickstart View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2012 at 6:08pm
Couple posts back, I compared my towing mpg with and without the recall installed wing. I noticed a marked improvement with the wing. Well, now I'm a real believer. We took a trip to my wife's favorite campground (Cape Disappointment in WA state). We've gone there many times, and, as always, I hand figured our towing mileage. This is a moderate tow over lots of up and down foothills (Willapa Hills). Previously the worst and best trip mileage for this trip with this truck have been 10.1 and 11.5 mpg. This trip we got 12.7 and the conditions were not optimal for towing--rain and head and side winds--very comparable to the time we got 10.1 mpg. For my towing combo, I think the wing really does improve my mileage.

I know lots of you have noticed no mileage difference after the install of the wing. For some that could be because your tow rig may be taxed enough towing your Pod that the slight gains enabled by the wing just aren't enough. I'm lucky enough to have a truck that can tow 8000 lbs., and towing at 200 rpms or so less do appear to make a difference.
'10 RP 175-Replaced by 2014 Kodiak 173 QBSL
'12 Toyota Tundra
'05 Sportster (half a Harley)
Retired-We're on Beach Time!
aatonna View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 11:39pm
I began this post last June. Until last week (January 2013) and after the new light bar was installed, I had not take a long enough trip to judge whether I got any better mileage with my tow vehicle (2011 Honda Ridgeline).  Now after retuning from a week at Death Valley, CA (1300 miles with touring miles) I can report that any mileage improvement was negligible, if any.  I ran no more than 57 mph the whole trip.  There was freeway driving mixed with hills and mountains.  I had high hopes, but now I have to be satisfied with the overall comfort and versatility of my R-Pod without illusions that mpg can improve. 

BTW  I highly recommend the beauty of Death Valley in any season but Summer.  You will experience the extremes of 282 feet below sea level to 11,000 foot snow capped mountains and you can drive at least to 6,000 feet above sea level.  Great beauty; great trip.
Art
tsunami123 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2013 at 11:26am
I was wondering about the comments of increased mpg after spoiler installation.  A couple of years ago, I and another member ran some aerodynamic simulations and didn't find any real improvement in airflow using small spoilers on the back of the Pod.
This is where anecdotal information falls apart...single incidents may not be valid overall.  Installing the spoiler may cause you to slow down for increased mpg. Or the first trip you take afterward may have few headwinds or few hills and valleys.  You need to travel quite a few miles under many varying conditions to validate the increase in mpg with the new spoilers.
For example, my niece will not have her kids vaccinated for the flu because a relative had an adverse reaction to the shot.  Now she believes that anyone who gets the shot will come down with an allergic reaction.  And no evidence to the contrary will convince her that it is better to get the shot!
While visiting my local FR Pod dealer, I encountered another Pod owner who recently had the spoiler installed.  He insisted that his mpg had increased from 10 to 15 mpg because of the spoiler.  The dealer had never heard about such an increase in mpg from anyone else.  After the other owner left, we both agreed that the spoiler had little if anything to do with his increased mileage.
aatonna View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2013 at 11:49am
Point well taken.  I saw your test results and the graphics helped me understand the counter-intuitive drag effect.  The untrained, as I was, would assume R-Pod's the shape to result in nothing but low drag.  Not so.  When I began my trek out of Phoenix I was getting nearly 15 mpg and was elated at the prospect that that would be the new norm.  Not so, as I experienced the full driving mix you referred to: headwinds, hills, mountains, rougher pavement.  We were back to 9-10 mpg as before. Too bad a solution isn't out there b/c the R-Pod is the best bang for the buck (and weight).  We have even considered a trade but can't find a comparable light weight and we would never recoup in gas savings what we would spend on the trade.  Tongue
Art
Kickstart View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2013 at 1:29pm
I've only towed 4 trips since the install of the wing, but every one has been a common tow that I've done in the past, and each one has been hand figured for mpg, as always. Every trip has shown an increase in mileage over the averages from former trips. My wing trips have all been with winter blend gas, which never does anyone any good for mileage.

I'll figure mileage this coming camping season, and try to remember to post the results. I'll then eat my crow or have some more info on whether it has helped my mpg overall. We have 3 or 4 common trips that we take of 150 to 300 miles. These are the ones I'll use to compare pre/post wing mpg.  I'm hoping my tow combo is at a sweet spot for improved mileage. I do hand figure, and don't depend on an onboard display. I do use a Scangauge to monitor current mileage and engine performance. No, I'm not seeing that 5 mpg increase, but even maintaining my small gains would be nice with the current gas prices.

'10 RP 175-Replaced by 2014 Kodiak 173 QBSL
'12 Toyota Tundra
'05 Sportster (half a Harley)
Retired-We're on Beach Time!
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2013 at 2:54pm
As posted before the largest impact on my mileage is my behavior.  If I have to travel at 75 then I get 10 MPG.  If I keep it under 60 then I get 15 or 16 MPG.  I had the spoiler from the start so I can't compare.  I can't imagine that little wing that is under the air flow to help.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
barbanjoe View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2013 at 10:43pm
I find it curious that many assume it to be a spoiler, it is the shape it is because of the lights have to be visible from behind, the pod is round thus the shape.
BarbanJoe
010 Rpod 171
02 Jeep 4x4
12 Ram 1500
aatonna View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2013 at 1:28pm
I must now report that my frustration over the fact that the new spoiler did not gain noticible gas mileage improvement, took me back to my dealer.  I traded my R-Pod for a Lance 1575.  It's a foot or so longer, wider and weighs a couple hundred pounds more.  I took an initial trip this weekend and at 58 MPH with steady cross winds much of the 130 mile trip, I got 13.3 mpg, an improvement over the 9-10 mpg with the R-Pod.  The box versus tear-drop design makes a big difference!  I'm using the same 2011 Honda Ridgeline tow vehicle.
Art
Burt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2013 at 2:12pm
Spoilers and MPG.  We're somewhat lucky as our RPod is a 2012 171 HRE and it came with a spoiler and all the "required" running lights.  BTW, they are all LED and really light up nice.

Our MPG was best improved by putting in a performance chip in my opinion.  That, and using non-ethanol fuel in the tow vehicle when towing.  You get more power out of a gallon that way.  We have a Ford Ranger V6, 3.0 Liter FWD and are now getting 2 to 4 MPG better when towing with just a few runs tested.  The vehicle itself now gets 4 to 5 MPG better non towing and in town/out of town.  Over the road, there is a marked improvement in mileage without tow.

The chip we decided on was made by GF.  Most of the big diesel tow rigs that tow are now using performance chips and I seriously believe that the ford "Eco Boost," is not much more than an added performance chip.

Performance chips of the right type do not just dump fuel into your engine, they work WITH all the OEM components of an engine, viz., exhausts, vacuums, fuel input, computer and etc.  Thus, they can cause your tow vehicle to achieve better results and have more ooomph on the hills.

There's my 2 bits worth.

Burt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>