R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSafety Recall

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Safety Recall
    Posted: 03 Jul 2012 at 4:32pm
No notification here yet on the light recall, ours is an 2011 RP-172, I contacted our selling dealer this spring, they did not know anything about it. Donna and I did a 2 night heat blast last thursday and friday night, with a full starting tank of fuel I got 14.7 MPG, but that was with only 80 true miles of pulling on that tank, We have not pulled a complete tank of gas yet, I pull between 50 and 60, 50 uphill (and we got plenty) 60 down hill.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2012 at 7:02pm
Hi all,

I got my recall notice the other day regarding the spoiler and the LED lights. Called my dealer and was told they had no clue about it. Waiting for as call back after they contact the factory.
Outbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2012 at 7:41pm
Last fall, I had the spoiler/light bar and fender lights added under the Canadian recall.  The spoiler work was not very invasive.  Power was run up from near the licence plate under the plastic track filler.  There were a couple of screws used on the track, but the bulk of the adhering work appears to be done with glue or tape.

I'm very lucky to have a dealer who I trust to do the work correctly (well, maybe lucky is the wrong word as I did search around for a reputable dealer before committing to purchase my trailer).  Its not a particularly difficult install, but I could see a sloppy dealer installing things askew on the trailer.

As far as gas mileage: I have seen a 15% decrease in fuel consumption since having this work done.  Nothing else has changed: same tow vehicle, same load in the trailer, same driving habits, same gas stations, same everything.  I honestly didn't expect it - you may recall that I did the first round of airflow simulations back in 2009 (YouTube link).  I'll be interested in hearing other people's experiences with mileage after they've had the recall work done.

Here are some pictures I took last fall on the day I got the trailer back from the dealership:

Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2012 at 9:28am
Thanks for sharing those pics.  Very informative indeed.
"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road
aatonna View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2012 at 12:10pm
I too was happy to see the pictures.  Very informative.  I have sent an email to the lady who signed the recall notice at Forest River explaining my frustration, and the frustration of others on this forum, about dealers having no clue about the recall or about ordering needed parts.  I'll post her reply once she does reply.
Art
barbanjoe View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2012 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by aatonna

I too was happy to see the pictures.  Very informative.  I have sent an email to the lady who signed the recall notice at Forest River explaining my frustration, and the frustration of others on this forum, about dealers having no clue about the recall or about ordering needed parts.  I'll post her reply once she does reply.
In the transportation industry, most recalls are announced publicly before the dealer is aware of it. The dealer then gets a list of all the vin #'s  he either sold or are in his zone area. When appointments are made the parts are ordered unless the parts were pre shipped by factory. In this case the supplier of the parts, not Forest River, is manufacturing the recall kits as the recall progresses. Susan at Forest River has said parts will start being released july 6th.
BarbanJoe
010 Rpod 171
02 Jeep 4x4
12 Ram 1500
TIDALWAVE View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2012 at 7:16pm
Not all dealers seem to keep up with notices sent from manufacturers.  I have a small town dealer near me who had kept up.  He already had five units delivered to him from FR, even before the recall letters were sent out. He pulled the VIN numbers for five of his customers, who he knew would be contacting him the first day they received the recall letters (all five did).
I don't think I would like to have a dealer who knew nothing about the recall.
My Jeep dealer knew nothing about two recalls until I contacted them...their work reflected their attitude to their customers.

TIDALWAVE
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2012 at 8:06am
My dealer had only known about the recall because one other contacted them before I did.  My parts/kit is on order.  I got to tell you though, I'm not real keen on the idea of being the 1st or 2nd unit that my dealer does.  I'd rather them have several under their belt before touching mine.  I've had bad experiences with this dealer before.
"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2012 at 12:21pm
Can you find another FR dealer in your area?
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Outbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2012 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by aatonna

...dealers having no clue about the recall or about ordering needed parts...

To tell the truth, my (Canadian) dealer hadn't heard about the recall either until I contacted them.  They were quick to follow-up with Forest River and get back to me to book for service.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>