This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLaundry.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Laundry.
    Posted: 27 Jun 2012 at 12:07pm
In one of the other threads, someone had some really good suggestions for doing laundry (or not) whilst podding, so I was wondering what everyone brings along and how they store it.

We have 2 crochet laundry lines that have miniature S-hooks on each end to secure them to trees. Plus measured amounts of regular laundry detergent enough for 2 full loads of laundry, a couple of Tide Sink Wash (handwash) packets, 2 dryer sheets and a small change purse with just under $10 in quarters for the machines.  We also have a ziplock with some bamboo and some plastic clothes pins.  We are also thinking of adding a folding drying rack as one of the State parks we went to had a no laundry line rule.

We never thought we'd have to use any of the laundry stuff we brought and was considering leaving it at home as we usually go on long weekend trips lasting no more than 4 days, but having a chipmunk fall from the branches above and claw-sliding its way down the curved back of the 'Pod during breakfast in bed with the dog = OJ, coffee, tea and breakfast all over the bed.  Star  Definitely had to use the campground laundry facilities then. 

For our longer trips of 2 weeks, since it's just the 2 of us and the dog, we usually take an extra set of sheets and towels each, instead of wasting precious pod-time at the laundromat. Tongue

Does everyone carry a laundry kit in their 'Pod? 
ChaiPod
2009 RP152
2011 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.5L V6
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2012 at 12:23pm
I simply carry a small jug of liquid tide laundry detergent and some dryer sheets under one of the dinette seats.  Its pretty rare that I ever want to do laundry while on the road (it is vacation after all), but emergencies come up.

The only thing I'd ever bother to hang out are towels.  There's some rope in the camper that I can use to rig a line, but usually, I'll just throw towels over a lawn chair, over the spare tire or over the picnic table - whatever is in the sun.

Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2012 at 1:41pm
If you're only gone for a few days, why are you guys doing laundry while camping?  I can't imagine it's any easier doing it at the campground then just waiting to do it when you get home.
"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2012 at 2:34pm
For weekend trips, or even a week-long trip I would agree.  But it comes into play on longer trips.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
g4royce View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2012 at 11:10pm
Originally posted by this_is_nascar

If you're only gone for a few days, why are you guys doing laundry while camping?  I can't imagine it's any easier doing it at the campground then just waiting to do it when you get home.

oh no! We're not planning on doing laundry while podding! We're not *that* disorganized! Tongue 

The line and pegs are for swimsuits and beach towels, and because some campgrounds and state parks don't allow laundry lines, we were thinking of getting an inexpensive drying rack.

The rest of the detergent and stuff is mainly for laundry emergencies that tend to randomly happen when you have a pet. 
ChaiPod
2009 RP152
2011 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.5L V6
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2012 at 1:01am
On our last trip one of the dogs got sick on the bed and we did sheets and blankets in the washers up at the lodge.  Glad we had some detergent and such along.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2012 at 7:46am
We carry a small bit of laundry D etc, just in case. But we have done a full week without need.. and had to bathe a dog on an overnighter.. luckily she didn't get into the camper with the funk on her... 
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2012 at 8:00am
OK.  I had forgotten about the added risks while traveling with a pet.
"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2012 at 9:14am
Originally posted by g4royce

The line and pegs are for swimsuits and beach towels, and because some campgrounds and state parks don't allow laundry lines, we were thinking of getting an inexpensive drying rack.

That's what we did.  Under $10 at Wal-Mart, about shoulder-high and it collapses flat for travel.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Snowbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2012 at 12:35pm
Our " washing machine" (5 gal pail with tight lid ) does not wash too many items at once so we can usually manage  to dry with a few plastic hangers in the shower or a rack set up in the r-dome. We do carry a small clothes line and clothes pins to use for bathing suits and  towels and airing out bedding.

Since we are gone on long trips sometimes( 4-7 weeks), laundry is a must at some point but doing a few pieces most days reduces the laundromat stops considerably. We manage to take clothes for about a week.
B
Tom and Bette
in our 177 "The Gastropod"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>