R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedInstalling 750W Inverter

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Installing 750W Inverter
    Posted: 21 Jun 2012 at 10:48am
My wife uses a CPAP machine that she needs to sleep. It draws quite a bit of power so I needed a fairly high power Inverter. High power inverters need to have either short wire runs or really big wires. In the past I have tapped right off the 12 volt terminal on the converter and ran an extension cord to the CPAP Machine but this year I wanted to install a plug next to the bed so that I would not have a long cord going from one end of the trailer to the other. There was already a plug where I wanted it so my Idea was to install a switch that would let me change from shore power to the inverter  when we had to shut down the generator and she could use the same plug regardless of the power situation. This drawing is what I came up with. all of this wiring is under the dinette bench with the electrical panel and I have mounted the inverter there as well. I will post pictures of the install when it is done. The only Thing that is missing from the schematic is there is a 60amp inline fuse in the 12volt line for the Inverter.  Excuse the missspelling of schematic in the drawing just noticed it. 

Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2012 at 11:09am
I recommend a DPDT switch, switching L1 and neutral.  Better yet, take a look at this $50 automatic transfer switch:  http://www.solar-electric.com/pomaxpmautrs.html

Some inverters (especially modified sine wave) won't work right or will be damaged if you don't switch both lines.

Something else to consider - make sure you have enough battery reserve so you don't damage the battery by running it down too low.  From CPAP discussions I've seen on a solar forum I visit, usually the machine itself isn't a very big load.  The problem is when you turn on the heater to add moisture.  That is a very large load, and unless you have 3-4 batteries is probably too large of a load.  If she can go without the heater you should be good.  If she must have the heater expect to enlarge your battery bank.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2012 at 11:17am
I didn't re-read much of this thread, but here's a 4-page discussion you can look at.

Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2012 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by techntrek

I recommend a DPDT switch, switching L1 and neutral.  Better yet, take a look at this $50 automatic transfer switch:  http://www.solar-electric.com/pomaxpmautrs.html

Some inverters (especially modified sine wave) won't work right or will be damaged if you don't switch both lines.

Something else to consider - make sure you have enough battery reserve so you don't damage the battery by running it down too low.  From CPAP discussions I've seen on a solar forum I visit, usually the machine itself isn't a very big load.  The problem is when you turn on the heater to add moisture.  That is a very large load, and unless you have 3-4 batteries is probably too large of a load.  If she can go without the heater you should be good.  If she must have the heater expect to enlarge your battery bank.

Yes I was considering a DPDT switch for that very reason and one of the reasons I put this up here was for peer review. 
I have two batteries now.  I have used one in the past and found that it discharged the battery to much. The inverter is supposed to shut before it damages the battery but I have never tested it. My wife says she cannot use it without the heater as her nose gets too dry.
The other thing I am thinking is that the Inverter is chassis grounded and so is the neutral on the AC, I think. So I might have two ground paths which may not be good. so I might need the double pole switch to force the return to use the return path through the inverter.   
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2012 at 2:38pm
Have you tested it with something like a Kill-A-Watt so you know what amps it draws over time?  I imagine the heater cycles on and off so you'll need the average per hour.

You'll want to parallel those 2 batteries and then always use them and charge them as one.

The problem with most inverters, especially the nonprogrammable ones, is they are set to cut off at 10.5 volts.  At that point you have damaged the battery.  See the colorful chart 2/3 of the way down on this page:  http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Battery_FAQ.htm
Most of the time you want to keep it above 50% SOC, occasionally you can go down to 30%, but that is 11.75 volts, far above 10.5.

Let me know the amp-hour draw of the unit at 120 volts and I can work with you to figure out if your 2 batteries are even enough.  There are losses and inefficiencies in the inverter, plus that 30-50% SOC you don't want to go below... which is why I was saying you may need more than that.
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2012 at 5:53pm
According to the manufacturers website My wife's  CPAP machine needs 46 Amp hours for 8 hours with with a 50% safety margin on an inverter. 
cane2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2012 at 6:41pm
Does your wife have a newer machine, if so they run on 12 volt check your manual. You can get a patch cord made at battery plus or shack. You will not be able to use the heater but you should not need it in the summer.
Cmtpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2012 at 7:12pm
Let me just throw this out there, but I had a similar issue but found that it was way cheaper and easier to buy a unit with a built-in battery.  Cpap.com was the site I've used. Got one with built-in heater and battery for like $400.  You can charge it pretty quick with the generator if you are off grid, or just charge it via 12V and then run at night on battery.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2012 at 10:12pm
Seanl, those numbers don't add up.  Dividing that up would mean 5.75 amp-hr at 120 volts, or over 60 amps-hr from a 12 amp battery.  That would kill a battery in less than an hour.  From what I've read people can run these for 1-3 nights from one battery.  That's why I asked if you did an actual measurement on it, that's the only way to know for sure.
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2012 at 12:30am
Ok re read the specs and it says "Battery size for 8 hours use (amp-hours) (includes 50% safety margin) 46 amp hours." I don't have any way to measure the current at this time but the spec sheet says the power supply uses 2.5 amps at 110 volts. So that's 275 watts. I still think 2 batteries should carry it. The only reason I have a 750 watt inverter is that was all I could find in Watkins Glen New York when my 400 watt inverter gave up the ghost a few years ago. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>