Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGenerator

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Generator
    Posted: 13 Jun 2012 at 12:07pm
What size of generator/inverter would be best for a 177 to run A/C + micro etc. 3000 watt or next size larger 4300 Watt?  The PugPod was at a dog show in Wheaton IL this past weekend and the main breaker in the service panel overheated.. Everyone on site was scrambling to start their generators. There I was putting the pugs in the tow vehicle to keep cool.  Took almost an hour for the main to cool down enough to stay on.  I think some of the big RVs stayed on generator to help out us little guys.
With the inverter/generator should I still use the surge protector?
We are off to a show in Iowa then on to Canada...but not without some kind of generator
Thanks for your suggestions..
Bagpiper Bill

RP-177
09 Silverado 4X4
Camper Bob View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2012 at 12:27pm
Look into the Honda twin 2kw generators.  Each weigh about 47 lbs and are carryable.  You can purchase a cord that connects them, effectively giving you 4kw.  Much easier to handle than a 3.5kw or 4kw.  One will run the microwave and give you some lights.  Two will allow you to run the A/C.  Safe Travels.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2012 at 2:19pm
3500 will do it I have a Champion 3500 watt that I use. It is no where as quiet at the Honda and weighs in at 100 pounds but two Honda 2ks go for at least $1600 and mine cost $375. If you have the money and use it all the time Honda is the way to go.
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2012 at 3:52pm
+1 on the Champion.  Seani said it well.  Hondas are wonderful, and will last longer no doubt.  My Champion on sale was less than $300.00 and I can replace it a number of times for the cost of the two Hondas.  In most campgrounds you will have to shut off any generator in quiet time.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2012 at 3:58pm
You definitely don't want to use an inverter with battery to power the big stuff.  However as others have recommended, I also recommend the inverter-gensets that some companies like Yamaha and Honda sell.  A 2 kw model should be enough to run the A/C in the pod, I measured its draw at about 1000 watts with the fan on low.  The inverter gensets can idle down when there is no load so they use less gas and are quieter.  Regular gensets run at full speed all the time.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Camper Bob View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2012 at 4:07pm
Well after reading "hard start" on Google.  I purchased a larger starting capacitor for the A/C.  Called Dometic for some help but they were worthless.  In any event, will add it next week and see if it works.  Have to take the A/C shroud on the roof off to access the replaceable part.  Safe Travels.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
Goose View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2012 at 6:27pm
   I looked at the Yamaha generators that have the tri-fuel set up, they run on gas, propane and natural gas. If I was to go the route of adding a genset I think that it would be worth the time and money to put a quick connect on the line from the propane tank and run it to the genset, I am not big on carrying a gas can on the trip.
  There are a lot of up-sides to the propane generators, the carbs will not foul on propane and a tank of propane will not go bad over time. They cost about the same as a Honda and claim to be as quiet.   Goose
Mother Goose's Caboose..2011 RP171..07 Grand Cherokee
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2012 at 6:55pm
All true, which is why my home generator uses propane. Also hooked up my grill to the same tank, no more filling up small tanks and running out half way through a steak!

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2012 at 7:17pm
If you are interested, in the June issue of QST (ARRL Ham Radio magazine), their test engineer compared 4 - 2000watt generators:
Champion 73536i
Generac iX2000i
Honda EU2000i
Yamaha EF 2000is

I can't reprint/publish the article without their permission and it is not available on their web site unless you are an ARRL member.  While they looked at a lot of parameters; load test, fuel economy, waveform, no load to full load test, etc. I can give you my "take" on what the article revealed that might be of interests to campers (in contrast to radio geeks).

In short, the Generac performed the worst of the bunch in just about every way.  Suggested retail $589

The Yamaha and Champion, I would say, tied for second place.  The main difference was - when a 2000watt load was placed on each, the Champion shut down in one minute, the Yamaha shut down in 20 seconds.  Sound levels were about identical.  Champion - $599, Yamaha - $990

The Honda won out overall.  The sounds levels were about the same as the above two.  The big difference was the Honda, when placed under a 2000watt load was still running after 30 minutes and showed no signs of overheating or other complaints.  It's no load to full load response time was the best.  Output voltage was a bit high @ 127vac with a 100watt load.  Price - $899

Outbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2012 at 7:52pm
The Yamaha EF2400iSHC is the one you want.  It'll run your A/C or microwave without problem, its relatively small & light, its quiet, and its dead reliable.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>