Topic ClosedWashington Island, Wisconsin

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Washington Island, Wisconsin
    Posted: 12 Jun 2012 at 4:24pm
We are half way through our second outing of the season.  This one is at Washington Island Camping Resort, and it is great.  This is our second trip up here and across Death's Door on the ferry with the Pod, and maybe our sixth or seventh time on the island.

This campground is nice with wooded sites.  We have a water and electric site but primitive sites are available also.  The owners are great and the lodge is well stocked and clean.

Dar is here for a quilting week at a fiber arts school, and the dogs and I are enjoying the quiet of the island.

The 200 mile trip up here was done at less than 60 mph all way, and I got 15 mpg.  On our last trip to Paducah, KY done at 75 mph I averaged 10mpg.  I guess it pays not to rush.

Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2012 at 5:20pm
Any pics?
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Podsible Dream View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2012 at 6:29pm
Is this Door County?
Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Dodge Durango Crew 5.7 L Hemi V8
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2012 at 7:03pm
The very northern tip of Door County.  The Ferry leaves Northport and Washington Island is half hour away.  From here half he radio is from Wisconsin, half from da youpee of Michigan.
Keith-N-Dar
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
DocTom View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2012 at 8:14pm
That speed really does make a difference. What's the temperature up ther now?
Brush and Floss, It is the Secret of Life!
PodSquad View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2012 at 6:14am
Keith and Dar,
We are headed to Door County in exactly one week!  Got any suggestions for "must do" things to do or places to see?  Can't wait for our trip!
The PodSquad - Drew, Deb and Marsh

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2012 at 6:51am
Door County is a beautiful place.  The east side is along Green Bay and is full of neat villages with shops and interesting restaurants.  By the time you get here they will be filling with tourists as well.  The west side is less populated. 

Door County was known for cherries but now is becoming a wine producing area.  There are several wineries to tour.  Shops all over the county sell wine along with other door county food like fruit, cheese, maple syrup, honey and other things.

Door County looks lots like coastal New England, with harbors, boats, lots of fishing things around.  One of the things to try is a Fish Boil, where chunks of Whitefish are boiled with potatoes and vegetables in a large cast iron pot over an open fire.  Kerosene is thrown on the fire at the end and the pot boils over and puts out the fire.  The fish and vegitables are removed ftom the pot and served.  Normally accompanied by beer, it is a faovorite.

We started coming to Washington Island years ago when we didn't need things to keep the kids busy.  One of my friends from work asked why we like it because there is "nothing to do."  That is one of the attractions for me.  This is one of the spots on earth where time stands still.  I like this camp ground with  its wooded sites and nice owners.  We were nearly alone until last night and now it is starting to fill for the weekend.  Lake Michigan is known for smallmouth bass and walleye fishing around the island and there are charter boats available if you wish to fish,  There are nice resorts and restaurants all over the island if intrested.  And the year round population (around 800 folks, are great, friendly people.  Everyone waves, and soon you will be waving back.

When you get to Coor County pick up some of the literature and visit this things you see.  Relax, and have a good time!  
Keith-N-Dar
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2012 at 8:23pm
We got home tonight after a great trip and I found that somewhere between breaking camp this morning and getting home I bent one of the jacks.  I will take a look in the morning and see what I have to do.  I guess risers are in my future...
Keith-N-Dar
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2012 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by Keith-N-Dar

We got home tonight after a great trip and I found that somewhere between breaking camp this morning and getting home I bent one of the jacks.  I will take a look in the morning and see what I have to do.  I guess risers are in my future...

Sorry to hear that I have bent both of my rear jacks. That is why I put the risers on. It is great that the pod is so low to the ground but it's about as practical as a Ferrari to drive on regular roads.
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
 Post Reply Post Reply