R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed110 volt receptacle not working on battery

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 110 volt receptacle not working on battery
    Posted: 13 Jun 2012 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by Camper Bob

Even with the larger capacitor to start the motor I think you would be putting an awfully high load on the electronics in the Honda.  It probably would start it, but I wonder if you would be shortening the service life of the generator.  On the occasions where we can't get a full hookup will have to do without the A/C.  Thanks for the input.  Safe Travels.  P.S. Att. Slogger.  I believe the starting current is far higher than the running current.  For a brief moment, the A/C pulls more than 2 KW.  Your house supply can stand a brief moment of higher current draw.  The Honda does not have enough excess to start the motor.  Once running, the A/C pulls whatever but I think the Honda would be stressed even at that point.  I think the 2kw rating is for a brief moment.  I think they are rated at about 1600 watts continuous.  Anyone, correct me if I'm wrong.  Safe Travels.

You are correct on the wattage for the EU2000i, 2000w starting load, 1600 watts continuous.

Once running the 13.5k btu AC only draws about 1200 watts, well within the operating range of the Honda. It's all about getting it started. Honda has a chart on the website somewhere that covers it. Of course, with the AC running, best not to hit start on the microwave or fire up that blender for margaritas.. Wink

EDIT Here: 1st google hit: http://www.hayesequipment.com/honda_generator_wattage_guide.htm
Camper Bob View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2012 at 2:04pm
Now you have my undivided attention.  Any how-to's on adding the capacitor to the A/C?  Safe Travels.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
TIDALWAVE View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2012 at 3:22pm
Whatever AC generator you buy, it should be larger than the KW required to run your AC.  I agree with the above comments...you may be able finesse the A/C to run with a small generator.  But you should expect to replace the A/C or generator fairly soon.  If you continually jammed on the accelerator of your tow vehicle and then ran your TV+Pod at red-line speeds...how long do you suspect the TV or the Pod would last? 
TIDALWAVE
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2012 at 3:30pm

Now you have my undivided attention.  Any how-to's on adding the capacitor to the A/C?  Safe Travels.

Google "hard start" mod..

LOL, it's litteraly a 2 wire part swap deal, and the capacitor is >$20.

The hard part is getting up on top of the camper and undoing all the screws on the AC cover. About a dozen if I remember right from the 'stream..
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2012 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by TIDALWAVE

Whatever AC generator you buy, it should be larger than the KW required to run your AC.  I agree with the above comments...you may be able finesse the A/C to run with a small generator.  But you should expect to replace the A/C or generator fairly soon.  If you continually jammed on the accelerator of your tow vehicle and then ran your TV+Pod at red-line speeds...how long do you suspect the TV or the Pod would last? 

Apparently not according to my research. People report no observed shortening of life span on the genny or the AC, but since they both go bad "eventually" hard to know I guess. (This is specific to the Honda EU2000i)

The capacitor is what does the "flooring of the accelerator", and it's what capacitors are MADE to do. Once running, the AC is drawing less amps/watts then say.. a toaster, electric frying pan, or coffee machine.

The generator is rated to put out 1600 watts ALL day. You are only asking for 1200 or so. 75% load. Is that worse than say 50%.. probably, but I see no reason to assume it means the genny is going to self destruct.

But as always.. Do as you see fit and are comfortable with.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2012 at 4:10pm
As I posted on another reply I did order a starting cap. for the A/C.  About $20 and the hard part is getting on the roof and taking off the A/C shroud.  Then just push on two wires and remove the old cap.  I think I can do that.  Will report back when I install it.  Thanks for all the great input.  You are all the best.  Safe Travels.
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2012 at 4:25pm
I measured my A/C at about 1000 watts, well within the limits of a 2 kw genset (not including startup surge).  I wouldn't worry about shortening its life.  Another forum I visit had a several-dozen page thread about this very point and the conclusion most made in the end was that you'll be fine.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2012 at 7:54pm

As I posted on another reply I did order a starting cap. for the A/C.  About $20 and the hard part is getting on the roof and taking off the A/C shroud.  Then just push on two wires and remove the old cap.  I think I can do that.  Will report back when I install it.  Thanks for all the great input.  You are all the best.  Safe Travels.

Make sure you short the existing cap before removal.. things can get REAL exciting real quick if you do it unexpectedly.. And could even be "harmful" if you are part of the short "path".. Friend "welded" a great big one to his trunk wall in his hot rod (and burned out his ignition module).. when it grounded against it.

Oh, and he #%@ his pants. Really.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2012 at 9:39pm
Wow.  Cetainly don't want to #%@ my pants.  Thanks for the heads up.  I did read in one of the articles on Google about that very thought.  Ground out the cap before removing it.  Was wondering how to get on a roof that really isn't built to support camping bodies.  You know who you are!  I am approaching being one of them myself.  Have now ordered the clear cover for the fan and now this capacitor.  Will be on the roof, big time.  Hope I don't put my foot thru it.  Will advise.  Safe Travels.
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2012 at 12:28pm
On anticipation of changing the A/C starting cap so my Honda 2 KW generator will run it, I came across this website.
I believe it has all the answers to an easy replacement of the cap.  I purchased the cap from Amazon for about $26. delivered.  Just heard from my local RV dealer and they want to sell me the cap for $36. plus $130-0$160 additional to install.  A tad overpriced in my book.  Will take out my ladder and attempt the 5 minute changeover myself.  Do read the attached website article, as it has some safety items that should be adhered to.  Then just disconnect two wires on the old cap and install two wires from the new one and put back the A/C shroud.  I think I can do that.  Safe Travels.

c
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>