Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Delivery today
    Posted: 11 Jun 2012 at 9:50am
It definitely sounds like your converter isn't working - your AC appliances are all working and the 12 volt DC appliances are only working when hooked up to your TV.  You know you are getting AC into the camper, which is the first step.  Did you check the reverse polarity fuse, usually in the bottom position?

I believe I found the technical support number for the WFCO converters - 1 (877) 294-8997
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
McLagman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2012 at 10:36pm
OK... here is a little more info... I messed with it some more today:

-- I left it hooked up to shore power overnight. When I checked it this morning, the batteries were dead as a doornail (no charge at all).

-- While hooked up to shore power AND with the dead batteries, the lights and furnace would not work. However, the television, air conditionaer, microwave and fridge would work fine.

-- I hooked up the TV, cranked it, and with it hooked up, the lights, furnace and pump worked fine.

-- I let the TV run for about an hour and it charged the batteries up to where the indicator said 2/3 full.

-- I disconnected the TV but left the shore power connected (with the 2/3 battery charge). Everything seemed to be working fine, but after an hour or so of using the bathroom fan and a couple of lights and television, the indicator said it was down to 1/3 battery left. Is that normal?

So I think the tow vehicle will charge the battery, the AC stuff will work on shore power, but the inverter or shore power is not charging the battery or putting out DC (for the lights, furnace, etc.).

Does anyone know what might cause this or how to fix it? I checked the fuse box and it didn't appear that any fuses were blown. 

Also, the dealer where I bought the R-Pod is in another state. My local deal sells Forest Rivers, but not the R-pod line. Will the local dealer make warranty repairs or do I have to re-tow it back where I got it?

(I'm going to post this in the repairs thread too.)

Thanks for any help!

- Davis
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2012 at 8:24pm

If the battery is too low the WFCO may not try to charge it.  I keep an older transformer-based battery charger around because it is dumb and won't shut down like my newer electronic battery charger will.  The electronic one is great for putting a proper charge on a battery, but the old dumb one is good for kickstarting the process if necessary.  An alternative is to start up your TV and hook up the pod battery to the TV battery with jumper cables for 15 minutes.  The high amp charge might get it back to a point where the WFCO will do its job.  But down the road the battery will die much sooner than later, my bet is very soon.  A complete discharge is just too hard on it.

Don't feel bad, I did the same thing this spring.  I charged my battery 2 months ago and then unplugged my pod.  Forgot to disconnect the battery... with the battery almost 3 years old it couldn't take the abuse.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2012 at 6:31am
Originally posted by McLagman

OK, so I've made my first Podding mistake. I was messing with the fridge settings on Thursday and put it on "battery." I went out to check things today, and the batteries had drained down... nothing works.

So I have plugged in the 30 AMP power cord... how long will that take to recharge the batteries?

I noticed that even with it plugged in, the microwave works but none of the lights work. If I crank the TV and plug in the brake controller cord, all the lights work fine.

So, I guess the question is, when the power cord is connected and the battery is charging, shouldn't the lights work? Or do they get bumped down the priority list until the battery is recharged? Do I have to wait for the battery to charge before everything will work, even connected to the power cord?

Thanks for any help!

It's difficult to troubleshoot a problem, in person.  From several miles away, it's real difficult.

The lights and all things 12vdc should work when you are plugged into shore power - even with no battery connected!  So, the first thing I would try would be:
1. disconnct shore power (120vac) from your Pod.
2. disconnect the battery(s).  Insulate or make real sure that the bare ends do not touch each other or any "ground" - like the chassis of the Pod.
3. Plug the Pod back into shore power and see if the 12vdc stuff works. It should.

The WFCO converter/charger is rated at 55amps (if memory serves) and should have enough muscle to charge batteries and operate the other 12vdc stuff.  If everything does work, then the battery(s) could have been damaged by the severe discharge.  Most of the chain auto parts store (like AutoZone) will test a battery for you - for free.

The WFCO also has reverse polarity protection and will shut down if it senses this.  In the case of a really bad battery, it may have shut down.  So, if things still do not work, after doing steps 1,2,3 above, that would be a next step to look at.

Personally, I don't promote the use of 12vdc in regards to the fridge.  It consumes power - kind of like I consume Doritos Taco flavored chips - at an alarming rate! LOL  If I don't have 120vac available, I run on propane.

Let us know how it goes.
McLagman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2012 at 2:15am
OK, so I've made my first Podding mistake. I was messing with the fridge settings on Thursday and put it on "battery." I went out to check things today, and the batteries had drained down... nothing works.

So I have plugged in the 30 AMP power cord... how long will that take to recharge the batteries?

I noticed that even with it plugged in, the microwave works but none of the lights work. If I crank the TV and plug in the brake controller cord, all the lights work fine.

So, I guess the question is, when the power cord is connected and the battery is charging, shouldn't the lights work? Or do they get bumped down the priority list until the battery is recharged? Do I have to wait for the battery to charge before everything will work, even connected to the power cord?

Thanks for any help!

Camper Bob View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2012 at 8:24pm
Welcome. Good luck and Safe Travels.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2012 at 7:12pm
Welcome!  I agree that they look good together.
rex View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2012 at 6:55pm
WELCOME! HAPPY TRAILS TO YOU  rex pHp stuart fla
jrr
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2012 at 4:54pm
Welcome!  Smile
Podsible Dream View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2012 at 4:18pm
Great to have you on board the R-Pod express with us. Hope to see you on the road- at 6' 4" you'd be hard to miss!
Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Dodge Durango Crew 5.7 L Hemi V8
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>