R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSunbeam Convection Oven

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sunbeam Convection Oven
    Posted: 07 Jun 2012 at 7:09pm
I just recieved a new sunbeam convection oven. Has anyone put a replacment in? The face plate  is totally different and it wont fit without some cabinet mods,I bought it direct from forest river and it doesnt say which part of the cabinet needs to be modified. They sent some simulated wood tape to patch the area that needs to be trimmed. Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks Steve
sjf
HerbL View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2012 at 7:21pm
I'm not much help. but in ours, the metal plate stopped rotating (all else is OK). How much did FR charge for a new Oven? Please let us know how your installation goes.
sfish View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2012 at 7:39pm

They charged me $330.00 including the new face plate. I dont want to screw up the cabinet but I will call them tomorrow for more advise if someone on the forum doesnt help first.

sjf
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2012 at 9:18pm
They've used several different models so it may be hard finding someone to help.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2012 at 11:22pm
It should come with a folded up template, or in the "specs" for instal in the manual give you a "rough opening" dimension...?

If not, you should be able to measure the backside of the faceplate to get an idea of how big a hole it will cover, then measure the microwave itself to see how big a hole you need to cut...
geklund View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2012 at 1:09am

Our dealer had to replace our oven and the new one they received had a different footprint/trim plate than the old one.  They removed the trim molding on the left side so the new oven would fit.  They didn't do a very good job of finishing off the removed trim but the new trim plate covers most of it.  I plan to touch up what shows with a little stain.  Sounds like they sent you something to cover that up.  You can see the exposed part on the left side in the picture.  I have marked it with a black sharpie.  Good luck.

182G 2011 Hood River Edition
F-150 5.4L
pugspod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2012 at 1:17pm
What's wrong with these Sunbeam convection/microwaves?  I may have to replace mine because, at first it was sparking inside with just a glass dish, and now it runs for less than 2 min. and then pops the breaker.  All I can use it for is the clock and timer.  Has anyone considered just going to Walmart with the dimensions of the old one and buying another brand?
Steve & Joy & Harley the pug
sfish View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2012 at 3:53pm
They didnt have a template and the specs were in some foreign language.I tried a metric conversion and it wasnt even close. Forest river told me to shave a little of the cabinet at a time until it fits. Pretty lame to say the least.The original units were basically junk. The picture above is the same replacment unit they sent me. It is a metal trim piece the original was plastic and the cradle the original rested on I was told to disgard. It shouldnt be this complicated.  ps. I asked  Forest River what the spec numbers were and what language and they said they didnt know either.
sjf
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2012 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by pugspod

What's wrong with these Sunbeam convection/microwaves?  I may have to replace mine because, at first it was sparking inside with just a glass dish, and now it runs for less than 2 min. and then pops the breaker.  All I can use it for is the clock and timer.  Has anyone considered just going to Walmart with the dimensions of the old one and buying another brand?
I haven't but, I don't know why one couldn't. 
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2012 at 6:44pm
I don't know if wal mart will have one that is a convection oven and a microwave... But if they do, no reason not to. Almost no one in the vintage airstream world has a factory microwave anymore.. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>