R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCan I tow an R-POD 171 with a 2012 MKX?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can I tow an R-POD 171 with a 2012 MKX?
    Posted: 03 Jun 2012 at 2:21pm
Thank you again, ALL:

Well, the MKX came with the tow package so antisway is included. It also has a class II hitch. So, are you saying that I can get the class II taken off and add a class III? If so, doesn't the MKX still have the 3500 lb. max as recommended by Ford/Lincoln?

We are going to go to a few dealers today and one of them has the R-PODS. We will have the MKX with us so it will be great to see what they say. It is where another person on this forum bought his 171 and from the same salesman.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2012 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by PDX97229

Thank you again, ALL:

Well, the MKX came with the tow package so antisway is included. It also has a class II hitch. So, are you saying that I can get the class II taken off and add a class III? If so, doesn't the MKX still have the 3500 lb. max as recommended by Ford/Lincoln?

We are going to go to a few dealers today and one of them has the R-PODS. We will have the MKX with us so it will be great to see what they say. It is where another person on this forum bought his 171 and from the same salesman.

So, are you saying that I can get the class II taken off and add a class III?    If it were me, I would. (Though I'm not sure what is available for your particular vehicle)

If so, doesn't the MKX still have the 3500 lb. max as recommended by Ford/Lincoln?  Yes, this will not change.
We will have the MKX with us so it will be great to see what they say.  I'm going to go way out on a limb and guess that they will tell you it's OK ....and hope you sign on the dotted line. LOL 

You CAN tow a Pod with a 3500lbs capacity vehicle, but it will work very hard in doing so (I towed my Pod with a 3200lbs capacity vehicle).  In regards to the Class II vs the Class III....
The actual weight of your Pod will be a few hundred pounds more than the advertized unloaded vehicle weight.  The tongue weight will be more once you add 1 battery, 1 propane tank, camping stuff in the storage bays, etc.  I fear you would be reaching the overall limit of 3500lbs and the tongue limit of 350lbs.  If you like dry camping and add a second battery and tank, things get worse.  Also, as mentioned, the Pod is over the frontal area in the 3500lbs rating of the vehicle.

To put it bluntly, I am advising upgrading the hitch because; it is one thing to work the vehicle to it's maximum performance, it's another to have a light hitch break and have your Pod become a "rolling SCUD missile".  A side benefit would be that with the Class III, you could add weight distribution and sway control if you wanted.  As much as I like Pods, I wouldn't want to look through my windshield and see one crossing the median - in my direction - at highway speeds. 

KDHfan View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2012 at 10:32pm
Originally posted by Kickstart

Semi suck and sway is not usually much of a problem for a properly set up towing combination. Again, good luck with a decision that works for you.

Preface by saying I'm a newbie at campers and towing a trailer. This is really the only thing about towing my Pod that makes me a little nervous. What are the biggest factors of the "suck and sway"?... TV weight? Or combined weight? Weight dist? Or tightening of the sway bar? Or whatever? I'm good with most types of big trucks.... But the standard big boxed rigs suck and sway me more than I'd like. I typically hug the white line so if one sneaks up on me, i dont get moved to much. My TB is rated at 5200lbs... My 182G came in at 2930 dry... And i havent towed with a full water tank... So I don't think I'm even close to capacity.
So... I guess I'd just like some more advice on this... Considering upgrading my TV but that won't be until next summer at the earliest.
Mark, Beth, Nolan & Madeline
2012 182G... "NoMad"
TV - 2012 Nissan Armada
SB/WDB
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2012 at 9:53am

The wheel base of your TV is one factor - longer wheel base is more stable.  Lack of a sway bar or weight distribution system which includes sway control is another.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2012 at 7:53pm
     The MKX, isn't that about the same as a Ford Edge? There is a member I believe his name is Larry that towed his 171 to Alaska with a Ford Edge. The trouble I had with the class 2 hitch was the limited tongue weight. We felt safer changing to a class 3 with more tongue weight capacity. I went back and rechecked on the Rpod nation forum. Larry traded his Ford Edge and Rpod 171 in on a 5th. wheel and Ford truck. He did do a lot of camping with the Ford Edge and did tow the Rpod to Achorage Alaska with the Edge. Its been along time but I believe I remember he had a class 2 hitch. And he had said the Edge towed The Rpod well with Good MPG.     David
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

bhamster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2012 at 3:22pm
I'm not sure if you made up your mind yet, but I thought it might make you feel a little bit better that we pull our 171 with a Subaru Outback. They're similarly sized, but you've got twice the power (we only have a 4-cylinder). We've gone half way across the country without any issues. We usually cruise around 55-60mph though. We added a class III hitch, transmission cooler, brake controller, and a friction sway control. Keep in mind that not all hitches will allow weight distribution systems (ours didn't). It bounces a bit when you go over bumps, but the friction sway control keeps it perfectly stable when the wind picks up or trucks go by. Based on the specs that I saw I think you'd be fine, but pack lightly and drive carefully.
sonamc View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2012 at 10:18pm
I am also a concerned driver. I have been pricing and looking to buy a small camper, hopefully one I can pull with my Equinox 2012.  The dealership says I can haul up to a 3500 lb weight, but I am worried my little 4 cylinder cannot pull that.  I have looked at an Outdoorsman 19 foot, single axle and the saleswoman told me her husband pulled one with a 4 cylinder....but still a little shy at a salesman!
Tamera McLemore
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2012 at 10:03pm
Welcome.  You will definitely notice the trailer behind you once you get above 50 mph.  The pods are light, but have a lot of wind resistance.  Four cylinders may or may not be an issue, the question is what your horsepower and torque ratings are.
sammycamper View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2012 at 9:53pm
I know there are some worthy posters here that advocate weight distribution hitches; but I'm not a fan of a weight distribution hitch for a single axle trailer unless the rear end sag in your TV makes it obvious that you need one. A WDH makes a lot more sense when the trailer has two axles. Double axle trailers are typically heavier, of course; but they also have a rear axle that a WDH can torque weight onto for better distribution. I used one for our previous trailer that weighed about 800# more than the R-Pod 173 that we just bought. That camper had two axles and it did tow nicely with the WDH. But, WDHs are very heavy to handle and they add a serious extra step to hitching up. I was glad to eliminate all that with our new R-Pod, and it towed like a dream. The loss of 800 pounds was very noticable for our Trailblazer's performance and mileage, too.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2012 at 1:42pm

I've mentioned on threads here before, when I moved to the Suburban this spring my first trip out I didn't install the spring arms on my WDH.  Obviously there is no weight distribution issue with this TV.  In fact, the picture in my signature was in our driveway just before we pulled out for that trip.  You can see that there isn't anything running between the hitch head and the L brackets which are sticking down on the tongue.

However - the ride quality was nearly as bad as my Sienna w/o WDH.  "Porposing", and just that general feeling that you have a large trailer behind you.  I took the spring arms with me and installed them for the ride back home and never looked back.  Much, much smoother ride.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>