R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCan I tow an R-POD 171 with a 2012 MKX?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can I tow an R-POD 171 with a 2012 MKX?
    Posted: 25 Oct 2012 at 9:40pm
Originally posted by philstat

Quick question,

why are you "amazed" at what people are willing to tow? They are looking for advice from people on these forums that might have some experience on the subject. You missread what the poster said about the hitch, and continue to pontificate about your own setup. Towing capacity is determined by any number of factors; wheelbase, torque, drive layout (front, rr awd).

Forum members are relieved to hear that you tow a small 2000+ trailer with a TV that can tow three times that. Good for you. The rest of us have vehicles that we are trying to make safe to tow.

You are not helping

philstat

I had to go way back to figure out what you were referring to..

PM sent. Smile
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2012 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by techntrek

furpod, just think of it as an extension of your suspension system.  An extra set of springs that helps to dampen the big bumps.

Yep.. like I said we use it with the 'stream.. but it weighs twice as much and is twice as long as the pod.

And I don't tow fast. We ran 70mph accidentally the other day going to the dealer to get our spiffy new wing and fender bling.. It rolled fine, no sway or weirdness.... just felt wrong.

We were deep in conversation about something.. and after about 5 miles I thought "gee, something feels different".. lol.

Kept her under 60.. well 55 actually on the way home. Stayed off the interstate.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2012 at 9:26pm
furpod, just think of it as an extension of your suspension system.  An extra set of springs that helps to dampen the big bumps.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2012 at 8:07pm
So much variation in tow vehicles and differenct models, We pull a 2011 RP-172 with an 08 trailblazer with a 6 cylinder, its got a lot of low end torque, I use a single friction type antisway bar that goes on the right side of the TV between the hitch and pod, I have never had an issue with sway or getting crazy on me, now one time we were coming home with side winds gusting to 40 mph and got some wiggle and sway but nothing too bad. I have towed with the sway bar off and there is not much difference. Semi's don't seem to bother us much either.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2012 at 7:55pm
Be Nice philstat, this forum is for people trying to help each other through their experiences and knowledge.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
philstat View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2012 at 7:29pm

Quick question,

why are you "amazed" at what people are willing to tow? They are looking for advice from people on these forums that might have some experience on the subject. You missread what the poster said about the hitch, and continue to pontificate about your own setup. Towing capacity is determined by any number of factors; wheelbase, torque, drive layout (front, rr awd).

Forum members are relieved to hear that you tow a small 2000+ trailer with a TV that can tow three times that. Good for you. The rest of us have vehicles that we are trying to make safe to tow.

You are not helping

philstat

furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2012 at 5:09pm
Originally posted by techntrek

I've mentioned on threads here before, when I moved to the Suburban this spring my first trip out I didn't install the spring arms on my WDH.  Obviously there is no weight distribution issue with this TV.  In fact, the picture in my signature was in our driveway just before we pulled out for that trip.  You can see that there isn't anything running between the hitch head and the L brackets which are sticking down on the tongue.

However - the ride quality was nearly as bad as my Sienna w/o WDH.  "Porposing", and just that general feeling that you have a large trailer behind you.  I took the spring arms with me and installed them for the ride back home and never looked back.  Much, much smoother ride.

Really... HHmmm.. Interesting..

Our ex. sits well, nice and level, no squat, hitch maybe sinks 2 inches..  So I have never bothered to hook up the WDH, seems to pull fine, but I will admit a sharp "dip" at speed can set up a couple bounces.. maybe I will run the WDH this next trip.. just to see.. The only down side is the Airstream is a 2 5/8 ball, and the pod is 2".. We already have the lightest torque arms.. (550lb) but I even think the static hitch height is pretty close on them.. (19" for the 'stream)
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2012 at 1:42pm

I've mentioned on threads here before, when I moved to the Suburban this spring my first trip out I didn't install the spring arms on my WDH.  Obviously there is no weight distribution issue with this TV.  In fact, the picture in my signature was in our driveway just before we pulled out for that trip.  You can see that there isn't anything running between the hitch head and the L brackets which are sticking down on the tongue.

However - the ride quality was nearly as bad as my Sienna w/o WDH.  "Porposing", and just that general feeling that you have a large trailer behind you.  I took the spring arms with me and installed them for the ride back home and never looked back.  Much, much smoother ride.
sammycamper View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2012 at 9:53pm
I know there are some worthy posters here that advocate weight distribution hitches; but I'm not a fan of a weight distribution hitch for a single axle trailer unless the rear end sag in your TV makes it obvious that you need one. A WDH makes a lot more sense when the trailer has two axles. Double axle trailers are typically heavier, of course; but they also have a rear axle that a WDH can torque weight onto for better distribution. I used one for our previous trailer that weighed about 800# more than the R-Pod 173 that we just bought. That camper had two axles and it did tow nicely with the WDH. But, WDHs are very heavy to handle and they add a serious extra step to hitching up. I was glad to eliminate all that with our new R-Pod, and it towed like a dream. The loss of 800 pounds was very noticable for our Trailblazer's performance and mileage, too.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2012 at 10:03pm
Welcome.  You will definitely notice the trailer behind you once you get above 50 mph.  The pods are light, but have a lot of wind resistance.  Four cylinders may or may not be an issue, the question is what your horsepower and torque ratings are.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>