Topic ClosedCamping Without Compromise

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Camping Without Compromise
    Posted: 31 May 2012 at 6:20pm
I like my latte so well that I roast my own beans.  I thus worried r-podding might involve a compromise, but fortunately it is not required. 

This gadget (http://mypressi.com/) allows me to brew espresso with air pressure, rather than steam, which makes a flavorful, but not bitter, brew.  It comes with a hand grinder.  Thus I can take a bag of my fresh roasted beans on a camping trip with which to pull a quality shot.

I picked up a microwavable pitcher and use that to heat the milk.  Frothing is easy with an aerolatte battery operated frother (http://www.aerolatte.com/). 

For those espresso addicts who like podding, there needn't be a compromise. 
Mike, Linda & Doxies
2013 Hood River Edition r-pod 171
Tow Vehicles: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 (Linda's) and a 2003 Dodge Dakota (Mike's fishing truck)
Camper Bob View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2012 at 9:44pm
I prefer my french press coffee.  First trip used the burr grinder at home and took extra ground coffee with us.  Not good.  Went to Costco and found a burr grinder for $26.  Gonna use it on our next trip.  Fresh ground each morning.  Yumm.  Safe Travels.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
tpierce220 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2012 at 10:53am
I roast my own beans as well and while I violate every rule of coffee roasting by putting the beans into a plastic container, I still do it.  It's must fresher than anything that I can buy in the store and so much cheaper. 

Adventures with ¡Podtástic!--Life in a Forest River RPod 182G with Tim and Louis and our two cats, Desi and Lucy. Check our website at http://podtastic.info for information on our journeys.
elko.mike View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2012 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by tpierce220

I roast my own beans as well and while I violate every rule of coffee roasting by putting the beans into a plastic container, I still do it.  It's must fresher than anything that I can buy in the store and so much cheaper.

Oh the humanity.  I put mine into a hand-painted and hand-fired clay container.  But for camping they are going into a Baggie.

I'm paying about $5 per pound for my raw beans and have no idea what they cost in the store.  When I guy 20 lbs, as I did with this last order, it comes with the coffee sack.  The wife really likes that.

In any case, we like the brew from fresh roasted beans much better than the stuff in pods, cans, or shipped already roasted.

Mike, Linda & Doxies
Tow Vehicles: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 (Linda's) and a 2003 Dodge Dakota (Mike's fishing truck)
g4royce View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2012 at 4:29pm
As we've mainly gone on short trips and try to find local coffeehouses, we haven't had to make our own that much.  For "emergencies" we have Starbucks Via Embarrassed (I know, I know....) mostly for the  caffeine.  We  usually grind our own beans, put them in an airtight container and French Press or bring along my old college Krups Espresso maker.  I also have a stovetop Bialetti and a Chemex and some filters somewhere in the basement but it really depends on what we remember to bring along when we head out Tongue  

For convenience, I did once consider the Nespesso, but then we still need the steamed milk.

-T
ChaiPod
2009 RP152
2011 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.5L V6
elko.mike View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2012 at 1:42am
Originally posted by g4royce

As we've mainly gone on short trips and try to find local coffeehouses, we haven't had to make our own that much. Approve

-T

At our last campsite it was a bit more than 90 miles to the local coffee shop.  Hence the need for an alternative to the local coffee shop.

Mike, Linda & Doxies
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2012 at 8:24am
Thankfully I have no coffee addiction. In fact never had a cup.

But I will admit the very first item placed in our pod after it parked in our driveway was a toaster.
g4royce View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2012 at 9:13am
Originally posted by elko.mike

Originally posted by tpierce220

In any case, we like the brew from fresh roasted beans much better than the stuff in pods, cans, or shipped already roasted.

We're trying to get my Foodie cousin to join us podding.  He's all into roasting and grinding his own immediately before brewing and frequently has his air-roaster, burr grinder and green beans with him.

ChaiPod
2009 RP152
2011 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.5L V6
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2012 at 3:44pm
I was thinking about this thread while making coffee this morning in my old fashioned stove heated percolator in the Pod.  Coffee always tastes best to me when camping.  
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2012 at 5:21pm
Everything tastes better when camping.  Especially when you've carried it on your back to the top of a mountain.  Smile
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>