Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMattress topper

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mattress topper
    Posted: 28 May 2012 at 11:19am
The dinette bed in our RP-172 is ok comfortable, but I know down the road the cushions will fail fairly quickly. After much gnashing of teeth and looking on this site, We bought a "Canopy" topper from Walmart. It has 2 inches of foam and 2 inches of memory foam. I plan to make a tri fold 1./4 inch luan plywood support between the topper and the factory cushions, I think this will help spread the "load" out evenly and make the cushions last longer. We bought a full sized, length is ok, but 4 inches narrower than our "Short Queen". I tell you laying on our hard wood floors this topper seems real comfortable. I will give you a field report as soon as we try it. We did not dare to take the pod out this weekend. Patoka lake about 40 minutes from home and other nearby camping sights will be Wild. Sorry I like quiet, we may go out next weekend. P.S. the topper with a washable cover was $109.00, I think this will greatly improve the sleeping experience.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2012 at 1:21pm
I totally agree about camping this weekend.  We never camp on the big 3 holiday weekends over the summer.  Brings out the party crowd.  I don't knock them for wanting to party - but a campground isn't your own private back yard where you can be rowdy until 3 am w/o bothering anyone.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2012 at 5:09pm
I was considering a new matress but, after reading some comments here on the Forum, I decided to try a matress topper.   It made a world of difference....no more springs poking me!  Also, I saved a few bucks in the process. Smile

I agree about the Holiday camping, though I was one of those out there.  I do have a spot where the situation has always been OK - hope it stays that way.

Anyway, with temps in the 90's and tree sap falling like rain, didn't do much outside

But wouldn't you know the weekend was saved by that hero of heros

48 of the original episodes from the 1930's (black & white)!

Followed by some intense truck and camper scrubbing (sap).
KayakkrazyUP View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2012 at 9:57pm
We bought the same "Canopy" memory foam mattress topper. It's very nice to sleep on, but we will need to trim it down a little to better fit the "Queen" bed in our 177.
tpierce220 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2012 at 10:45am
We have a double size foam topper, and I've been thinking of moving up to the queen size. How much trimming do you need to do for it to fit?

We were out Memorial Day weekend with some tenting friends.  The area that we were at was nice and quiet, but the minute we were up in the tent area it was party central.  Our friends complained that one large group was up to 3 am playing techno and running around with flashlights, which made me think that they were in some sort of German discotheque.  On Sunday night there was another group with a Karaoke machine blasting Meringue music that was awfully disturbing to the point that we were making up songs to go with the music.  

It's amazing what can happen from one section of  a campground to another.
Adventures with ¡Podtástic!--Life in a Forest River RPod 182G with Tim and Louis and our two cats, Desi and Lucy. Check our website at http://podtastic.info for information on our journeys.
Podsible Dream View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2012 at 6:52pm
Love those PA state parks! No alcohol, no rowdies. We spent the long weekend at Frances Slocum SP just north of Wilkes Barre. Quiet, calm and peaceful!   
Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Dodge Durango Crew 5.7 L Hemi V8
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2012 at 9:06pm
We did a trial run in the drive way, made the 1/4 inch luan folding (hinges were made of duct tape). used a hole saw to make a carrying hold, fold out. put that on top of the cushions and with the 4 inch double foam/memory foam on top We could not believe the difference, it is as good or better than our home bed. We can't wait to try it overnight. good investment for peaceful sleep. Hope we can make a run this weekend and give it a real try.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
greynomad View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2012 at 7:10am
I just bought a 2013 177 model and within a day I realized that the cushions were going to be a problem.
I am having new form material with a little more firmness installed, me thinks I am going to mail the original cushion material to Forest River collect......! Nice to see that there are others out there that have the same problemCensored
greynomad View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2012 at 7:15am
LOL So you have the same size "Queen" bed also.......... I wonder if you measure from corner to corner diagonally if that would mean QUEEN?
Tri-Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2012 at 6:49pm
We purchased the 3" memory foam topper and cut it down to fit the converted dinett bed. It makes all the difference to a good night sleep. We store it under the left side storage area, it is kind of like wrestling an octopus to get it in and out. Wouldn't go camping with out it.
2010 PR 176 sold 2012 replaced with
2013 SP 240 w outside kitchen
2012 Toyota Tundra Crew Max 4x2
5.7L V8
Me, My Honey, and Max our GSP
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>