R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFridge won't run on shore power?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fridge won't run on shore power?
    Posted: 15 May 2012 at 9:55pm
Well, last year after bought the 176 we got to take it out about 4 times, and it was perfect every time.  So I winterized the pod, parked it in the driveway and let it ride.  This spring I start going through the process of getting it ready for our first trip this weekend, and I run into a couple of problems. 

First, the ZX75 entertainment unit took a vacation on me.  I called up RVNation where I got the camper, and they were extremely helpful there.  I've already got a new unit on it's way to me (the Jenson replacement) and I've shipped the ZX75 back.  So I'm thinking, ok cool, got my one problem while under warranty and now I'm in the clear.

Not so much.  I turned on the fridge last night to cool it down so I could start packing the camper for the trip this weekend.  Went out tonight after work and the plug+all temp LED's were flashing.  According to the manual, that means the 120V heating element has gone south.  Great.  I've switched it over to 12v so that it can run through the converter, and assuming that's a separate element hopefully that will work.  I'll call RVNation back tomorrow about this obviously, and I expect they'll be helpful again, but I was just wondering...has anyone else had this happen?

The camper was just chillin' in the driveway all winter.  I can't even imagine why the element would have failed from just sitting there. 
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2012 at 11:23am
You could poke around in the lower compartment looking for loose connections.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
FISHTAIL View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2012 at 4:21pm
I will.  It was pouring last night when I noticed things weren't working.  I switched it over to 12V, so hopefully that's functional and the fridge will be nice and cool when I get home tonight.

I think the 120v is just plugged into a wall socket back there though, and that it leads right up into the backing plate if I recall.  I'll see if anything looks loose, but I kind of doubt it. 

I'll post up with what I find.
FISHTAIL View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2012 at 9:30pm
Well, the 12v element works great...fridge was nice and cold when I got home.  The inverter had the fan running though.  So, on a whim I swapped it back over to 120v.  No errors, and it's been swapped since 6:30.  The fridge does seem to be warming up though, so I'm guessing it'll be tripped in the am.

I also checked in the back, nothing is loose.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2012 at 10:05pm
Check your circuit breakers, and all GFCI outlets for a tripped condition.  The fridge "brain" operates from the 12 volt system so that would explain why it is still working while the 120 volt element isn't.
FISHTAIL View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2012 at 9:08am
I checked the breakers, but not the GFI.  It knows it has power though, because it defaults to the 120v element when I turn it on, which it's supposed to do if it's available.  I'll check it again tonight when I get home.  If it's blinking again, and the GFI isn't tripped, then I know the element is shot.

To bad I have no idea why.
FISHTAIL View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2012 at 10:47pm
Update:
Fridge is fine...problem was the plug.  I'm currently homeless while our new house is getting built, so we are living with family.  My Dad had the plug in his garage on a dimmer switch, and it just so happened that the camper was plugged into that receptical...so it wasn't getting a full 120v.  That explains why the converter worked, but the 120v didn't. 

I tried a different plug yesterday, swtiched the mode, and all was working great this evening still.

On a side note, my new Jenson DVD player showed up today.  Looks like a really nice unit, much more substantial than the thing I took off and mailed back.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2012 at 8:27am
Great!
 Post Reply Post Reply