R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPortable Generator

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Portable Generator
    Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 11:47pm
We have a Honda EX 1000 watt generator that is at least 25 years old.  Used it for years when camping in the past.  Just had it serviced.  Runs fine.  My question is if we are dry camping and use the generator to power the Rpod can I plug a computer directly into the power outlet in the camper.  Will the output of the generator be "clean" enough to power a sensitive computer without damaging it?  This generator was built before the "I" versions were made.  I believe the "I" versions are designed to generate a proper syn wave for sensitive electronic equipment.   Or?
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2012 at 5:13am
Don't know for sure.  I am inclined to think it would be a "non-inverter" (modified sine wave) type generator and your computer may not like it.

I have a "non-inverter" generator but, have not used it.  I figured on extended dry camping trips, I could use it to just recharge the batteries only, with an automotive type charger.  However, two group 24 batteries have been sufficient to get me 4 days OK.  By then, I'm ready to move on to someplace different anyway and the TV charges the batteries while in tow.

For my 120v. needs (like the television) I have a 12vdc to 120vac pure sine wave inverter.   
Camper Bob View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2012 at 9:44am
Unfortunatley, I believe your correct.  Was hoping for a different answer.  Will try and call Honda on Monday just to be sure.  Bought a new laptop to keep in touch with and instead of a separate tv bought a USB adapter that the cable from the campground plugs into.  Just have to scan and in business.  Are there any aftermarket filters that could be plugged into the 110 plug in the trailer that would create a cleaner output?  For the most part we will be camping with full hookups, however we have booked a trip in July to Big Sur and the campground doesn't have any hookups.  Will bring the generator and see if there is a relatively inexpensive solution.  I guess I could always add a 12v outlet in the trailer and purchase a low wattage inverter.  Certainly a possiblity.  Are there any 12v outlets already installed in a 171?  That would ease the pain somewhat.
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
Outbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2012 at 11:03am
I'd advise against plugging electronics into an old generator.  To tell you the truth, you may want to call WFCO and see what they advise about using your r-pod's converter with your generator too.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2012 at 11:38am
Good advice.  Although, your not making me happy.  Will make the calls on Monday.  Since I don't have the rpod yet, delivery scheduled the week of May 7th. could you forward the phone number of the inverter installed in Rpods?
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2012 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by Camper Bob

Unfortunatley, I believe your correct.  Was hoping for a different answer.  Will try and call Honda on Monday just to be sure.  Bought a new laptop to keep in touch with and instead of a separate tv bought a USB adapter that the cable from the campground plugs into.  Just have to scan and in business.  Are there any aftermarket filters that could be plugged into the 110 plug in the trailer that would create a cleaner output?  For the most part we will be camping with full hookups, however we have booked a trip in July to Big Sur and the campground doesn't have any hookups.  Will bring the generator and see if there is a relatively inexpensive solution.  I guess I could always add a 12v outlet in the trailer and purchase a low wattage inverter.  Certainly a possiblity.  Are there any 12v outlets already installed in a 171?  That would ease the pain somewhat.

Are there any aftermarket filters that could be plugged into the 110 plug in the trailer that would create a cleaner output?  There are power "conditioners" out there.  I looked into them a while back and, if memory serves, they are kind of pricey.  Also, I have never spoken with anyone who has used them so, I don't know how well they work.

I guess I could always add a 12v outlet in the trailer and purchase a low wattage inverter. Certainly a possiblity.  This could be done inexpensively.  "Cigarette lighter" type plugs can be purchased at most any automotive store.  12vdc can be tapped at the antenna amplifier - should you not wish to run a separate circuit.  If you do, there are a few empty places on the distribution panel.  If memory serves, positions 15 & 16? (the last 2) will handle up to 30 amps, though you won't need this much for a small inverter. 

Are there any 12v outlets already installed in a 171?  I don't know.  On my 173, there were none.

Will bring the generator and see if there is a relatively inexpensive solution.  As mentioned above, your generator powering an automotive type battery charger could work.  Another method....sometimes (if you ask real nice and they have an outdoor 120vac plug) the folks at the check in station will let you use that.  Many of the campground "Hosts" also have 120vac plugs  and will help - using the same nice tactic Wink.  Using the latter 2 choices, (assuming you have just 1 battery) you would have to disconnect it and carry it to the electricity source - which means you would have no power at all while it is away charging.  This includes your fridge, since it needs 12vdc to run it's "brains".

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2012 at 2:38pm
David:  Excellent advice.  This is why you get the big money.  I did not order our 171 with a tv antenna.  Sooo, will have to install a 12v line for an inverter.  Probably the cheapest way to go.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the built in inverter have a charge line for the battery.  My understanding is when the trailer is plugged into 110 there is also a battery charging circuit for the trailer battery. 
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2012 at 5:24pm
Yes, the WFCO converter does have a 3 stage built in charger for the battery.  I think Outbound speaks wisely in checking with them regarding using the generator with that unit.  Like him, I don't know how well it would "cope" with "rough" power directly to it.  I agree in checking with them for advise.  I'm guessing, since it is somewhat "smart", it may have some "sensitive electronics" it it????

Another method I have used is to connect jumper cables to the tow vehicle and the camper battery and let the TV idle for about an hour.  Turn on the headlights so that the alternator output will be high.  Yes, there is (supposed to be) a 12vdc line in your Bargman connector but, the wire is usually small enough and the lenght long enough that it really doesn't do a good job of charging the camper battery unless driving for a few hours.  If you are running your fridge on battery while driving, you may not get much of a charge at all, as the fridge uses a lot of power when on 12vdc.

Hopefully, someone with a 171 will post soon with a suggestion on the best place/way to get 12vdc where you need it.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2012 at 7:02pm
We just added a couple 12v plugs, then use a 400w inverter if the 'puter needs a charge, or what have you.

I stole power in the front from the propane detector, and in the rear from the heater fan motor power.

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2012 at 8:57pm

Actually its a big myth that computers - and most other modern electronics - can't handle the rough output from a non-inverter genset.  Computer power supplies must handle wide voltage inputs (roughly 100 to 250 volts) so only their plugs must be changed when sold in different world markets.  So they can handle wide voltage fluctuations from a genset.  They are designed to maintain a steady DC output even with wide AC fluctuations and even brief dropouts due to their filtering and rectification circuitry.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>