R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCar Brake Controls

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Car Brake Controls
    Posted: 26 Apr 2012 at 5:51pm
I'm picking up my R-Pod in N.C. and driving up to Boston with a Toyota 4runner ( two limit 3500lbs.).  Can I drive north without installing brake controls and anti sway bars.

The reason I ask, once in Boston I can install myself and save 50%,  but I don't want to place myself in a dangerous  position.  I'm use to towing boats weighting in at 3000 - 4000 lbs with none of the braking and sway controls for trips up to 400 miles.

Edit - by Rpodcamper.com to remove misc HTML junk in the middle of the post
TIDALWAVE View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2012 at 6:56pm
Many states require some kind of trailer brake control if the tow weight exceeds 1,500 lbs.  If you were hauling 3,000-4,000 lbs without an electric brake controller, your trailer probably had built-in surge brakes. I know in the mid-west, you cannot get a trailer licensed if the haul weight exceeds 1,500 lbs and there are no brakes on the trailer.
As for sway control, many members tow without sway control...but sway bars are preferred.    If you encounter really strong side winds, you should slow down to a more sedate but safe speed.
I had a friend loose a $150,000 sailboat he was hauling, which got hit by a 50 mph storm gust...no sway control...the boat & trailer were on the shoulder and rolling in the ditch before he even could respond.
TIDALWAVE
rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2012 at 10:19pm
You may want to look at the laws of the states you are driving through to see what they state.  Have you thought about a wireless brake controller?  Also on some cars it just requires the right cable adapter to plug in under the dash about a 10 minute job.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 8:00am
Tekonsha has a wireless brake controller which is easy to install.  If your 4Runner is fairly new then you could also look at getting the plug-in wiring harness for one of the Tekonsha wired controllers, which would make it an easy job.  I recommend the Tekonsha line since they all are the "inertia" type and not a cheap "timer" type.  http://www.tekonsha.com/content/products.aspx?lvl=2&parentid=1400&catID=1435%20&part=0

Why not pre-install the brake controller before you get the camper?  I wouldn't tow without a brake controller.  You can get away with no sway or weight distribution, the pods tow very well most of the time (some of us have added that later after wind issues on long tows).

Edit - whoops, rpodcamper covered some of that already!
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply