R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHanging a lcd/plasm TV

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hanging a lcd/plasm TV
    Posted: 25 Apr 2012 at 3:51pm

Hanging a lcd/plasm TV
I would like to hang  a 19"- 27" lcd or plasma from the ceiling near the dome lights above the dinnet in a R-POD 176T so we can enjoy while dining and can watching  from the drop-down tent-bed adjacent to the dinnet table. 

Questions:

1)  How can I bring power to that area (unseen)?
2)  How do I attach a monitor frame to the ceiling, Glue or self tapping screws or none of the above?  

My concerns are: (1)  Will Glue hold  and if it doesn't, what would be the damage  to the ceiling/roof should it not hold?  (2)  Using screws (I don't know where the electrical wires connecting to the dome lights are coming from one)  I prefer not to penetrate  the roof if I can help it???.
Any help would be gratefully appreciated.  

The mount weights 3.5#'s + the monitor 10#'s

Peerless PARAMOUNT Ceiling/Wall Projector Mount with Adjustable Extension PPA - Mounting kit ( extension column, ceiling plate, mounting adapter, horizontal adjuster ) for projector ( Tilt & Swivel ) - cold-rolled steel - black

ANY COMMENTS AND SUGGESTIONS?
The Spongediver of Paradise Coast
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2012 at 4:41pm
I can't be of much help with your question.....sorry.  I believe there are some wood framing pieces that make up the curved portions of the Pod's roof.  I can't tell you their exact placement or if they would hold your desired equipment.   

There are some members who have done some very good installs on the vertical walls.....if you wish to consider another option.

Looking at all of the additional wording in your post - I'm guessing maybe you are trying to "copy" and "paste" an image.  I have not found this to work.  The best way is to save the image to a jpeg or other image format to your local drive.  When you want to place it in your post, click on the "little tree" icon and you will be prompted to upload the image in a child window.  In the child window, you can adjust the size, etc.  Any images uploaded must be under 500KB or they will not upload.  It's a bit cumbersome, but it is a limitation of the forum format.

Good luck!
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2012 at 10:05am
There isn't much structual support in the ceilings so I wouldn't attempt it.  The cross-members that do exist are fairly thin.  Others have mounted larger TVs on the walls...
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
dressscoome View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2012 at 11:38pm
I have the some problem like you .BUT i cannt attempt this ceillings as @techntrek !Embarrassed

------------------------------------------------

Nancy Nancy
Podsible Dream View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2012 at 8:02am
Sponge diver, the previous owner of our 171 liked his TV too. He had someone make a 1/2" oak plywood panel supported by oak verticals running up the back wall of the shower over the queen bed. The risers were glued and nailed (with pin nailer) to the corner supports of the shower enclosure. The tv mount was screwed to the panel and could be rotated to be seen from the bed or the dinette. I left the panel after we took out the tv- it is not our thing when camping. It is sturdy enough to handle what you are requesting.
I hope the explanation is clear. It's tough to take photos in there!
Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Dodge Durango Crew 5.7 L Hemi V8
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2012 at 8:44am
dressscoome, welcome!
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Happymom View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2012 at 10:41am
Has anyone hung a tv in a 172 model?  We are thinking of hanging our 19" on the side of the cabinet over the sink.  It would need a swing arm.  Would it be too heavy if we put a board on the inside of the cabinet to anchor it?
GoofyNewfie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2012 at 9:11pm
Hey, I actually just installed a 19" LCD on the wall above the sink with the swing arm mount. I also installed a blu-ray player. Great for rainy days.
The ribs oof the 172 are alluminum so I had to use a stud finder to locate them. there was one in just the right spot to locate the mount perfectly. keep in mind the height of the tv so that when the tv swings out, the bottom of the tv clears the top of the spout of the sink...
I found that the entertainment unit that came with the pod was a cheapie and the screen was too small.. hard to see from the bunks.. plus it wasnt capable of side viewing.

I can post pics if you like...

2010 RP-172
Tow Vehicle - 2003 Rendezvous
 Post Reply Post Reply