R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedStabilizer Education ...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stabilizer Education ...
    Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 10:39am
Aside from the trip home from the dealer last October we haven't pulled our 177 on a trip yet. Been winterized and undercover since. We'll be towing it with a 2011 Tacoma 6cyl, 4 Dr Short Bed (6 spd manual transmision). I have seen a variety of comments about "sway bars", "load stabilizers" etc. At the moment we have nothing but a hitch. It seemed to tow fine over the 3 hour trip home in October but we do get a lot of wind up here in Wyoming and there are a lot of 18 wheelers. So   ...I'm thinking some form of sway control might not be a bad idea, but I'm not quite sure where to start. I am looking for the simplest and most basic apparatus that will minimize fishtailing.

Anyone out there with a good handle on the various types, brand names and typical prices? Also, are these devices something that can be installed by the owner or do you have to find a dealer.

Thanks in advance,

MJ
Livin' the Dream    ...'Slogger
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 12:40pm
Slogger, I have a friction type antisway, it is basically like a disc brake pad that has a l shaped handle to tighten the pad to a flat friction surface, a socket on each end fits onto a ball on the hitch on your tv and a ball on the side of the pod tongue, mine is on the passengers side. I have pulled the pod down the interstate with out sway control and did not have any problems, even with semis going by. However if on flat ground and strong cross winds and then semis you might want anti sway, mine was make by Reese and was fairly inexpensive, I dont think would be a problem to install as long as your hitch on the t.v. has a place for the ball.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
Footslogger03 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 12:48pm
Thanks for the reply. I'm leaning more towards the basic "Anti-Sway" style device at the moment. Plus, my current hitch only has a single ball on it so I would have to get a different one.

Thanks again   ...

MJ
Footslogger03 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 1:29pm
That "Equalizer" device looks like something I could wrap my brain around and even hook up myself. Anyone here using one ? Are there different models ?   ...and what is a typical price ?

Thanks in advance,

MJ
Pawpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 6:48pm
They have two arms that come out and chain to the toung of the trailer. Really easy to hook up, and as a Side benefit act some what as an antisway too.
Ready to pod around!
Snowbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 8:10pm
We drove to Ontario last summer without the anti-sway bars and equalizer. It was not fun going up and down some hills when the trailer began to fishtail.  Tom had them installed before we left Alberta for a fall trip to the Grand Canyon. We were very happy we had it done and felt it was well worth the money. (He is not handy around vehicles like some of these guys.)

You sure do get some wind in Wyoming! We saw lots of antelope there but the wind gusts were the most memorable of the entire trip. We ended up pulling off the highway to avoid been blown off.
B
Tom and Bette
in our 177 "The Gastropod"
TIDALWAVE View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 11:33am
The weight distribution hitch not only transfers some of the trailer weight to the tow vehicle's front wheels (keeping the TV more level) but it also smooths out any 'porpoising, up and down' motion also.  Not only will you have better control over the rig but loose objects in the Pod tend to not bounce around as much. The anti-sway bar(s) do a really good job on keeping the pod from swinging from side to side if it gets hit with a sudden wind gust.  You may not feel that you need it...but will wish you did if the Pod begins to bounce violently up and down on a rolling road way, or
you are in a violent wind gust from a storm or passing big rig and the Pod whips side to side.
I only towed the Pod once before installing a WDH+sway control.  The difference was like night to day.  The Pod now smoothly follows along with not sensation of being out of control.

TIDALWAVE
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 12:17pm
I have the E2 Equalizer - sway control and weight distribution all in one.  Really makes the ride more comfortable.  The E2 is cheaper than the original Equalizer, but lacks about 50% of the original's sway control.  Works fine for my 171.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2012 at 11:29am
Originally posted by techntrek

I have the E2 Equalizer - sway control and weight distribution all in one.  Really makes the ride more comfortable.  The E2 is cheaper than the original Equalizer, but lacks about 50% of the original's sway control.  Works fine for my 171.

Which particular one do you have?  Are they purchased based on trailer weight or something?  I've always wanted the Equalizer brand WDH for my RP-151 Tacoma combo, but didn't want to spend a grand on it.

"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2012 at 2:34pm
I got the 600 pound model so I can use it if I get a larger camper. The company confirmed that you can go much heavier than your actual tongue weight. Mine was about $450.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>