Topic ClosedReady to camp!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
2Peas-n-Rpod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ready to camp!
    Posted: 06 May 2012 at 11:30pm
Originally posted by techntrek

My wife has seen the same thing with her students over and over - the "problem" is usually the parents and home environment.  Not only a lack of leading by example and general life education, but in most cases today an expectation that the schools are there to teach the kids everything.  Everything, in the mere 1170 hours they have them per year out of a total of 8760 hours (about 13%).

My kid doesn't know their colors?  That's your fault, you are their teacher.  It's not my job to review them at home.  He doesn't know how to blow his nose?  That's your fault.  He only knows how to steal other kid's toys instead of sharing?  Your fault.

AMEN, BROTHER, AMEN!!
2011 R-Pod 182G Hood River Edition
"Ribbitt" Pod (now sold)
2000 Ford F150 5.4L V8 TV
mountain mist View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2012 at 2:12pm
Just came online. dewinterized myself!

Congradulations on the wonderful news.  Now we need for you to write a book on your travel via Pod. Like publish or perish!Tongue
'11 Forest River r.pod 171
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
Trudi and Austin mini-schnauzers
change here, Trudi has gone, Austin now has a small black schnauzer buddy, Bentley
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2012 at 9:54am
My wife has seen the same thing with her students over and over - the "problem" is usually the parents and home environment.  Not only a lack of leading by example and general life education, but in most cases today an expectation that the schools are there to teach the kids everything.  Everything, in the mere 1170 hours they have them per year out of a total of 8760 hours (about 13%).

My kid doesn't know their colors?  That's your fault, you are their teacher.  It's not my job to review them at home.  He doesn't know how to blow his nose?  That's your fault.  He only knows how to steal other kid's toys instead of sharing?  Your fault.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Podsible Dream View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2012 at 11:04am
Very interesting, Podding' Dr D. You know, we've always held that one of the most important factors in a child's success in our education system is the home environment. The example posed by the parents, the expectation of success, and all those related components of a higher SES home, are contributors to the eventual higher achievement levels. We see it here in the local Trenton schools, where even the charter schools, composed of lower SES populations, have great difficulty in meeting state and national achievement goals. We often ask if that perhaps the money would be better spent providing each student with a 'parent' able to provide an example and some motivation to learn. Although I have been in some high SES homes where a book, magazine or newspaper was not to be found!
Enough soapbox....!
Enjoy your accomplishment
Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Dodge Durango Crew 5.7 L Hemi V8
Hodge-PODge View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2012 at 8:28am
Podsible,

Actually, I didn't do my dissertation on ESL students - I was afraid I would have too much researcher bias in that area.  So my research was on Response to Intervention [RTI] for at-risk students (2nd grade students in an Early Intervention program).  I compared student achievement in reading 2 years before RTI to student achievement in reading 2 years after RTI as measured by Georgia's CRCT.  Bottom line . . . . RTI worked (overall).  The catch . . .  it only worked for WHITE students of HIGH socioeconomic status.  It made no difference for Black students, Hispanic students, or White students of low SES.  

We DEFINITELY need to "rethink" what we're doing!  Thanks for asking.

Poddin' Dr. D. Smile
2011 RP 177, the Hodge-PODge
2011 Mercedes ML350
"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it."

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2012 at 8:26pm
Yeah, sometimes I wonder if my posts are too pedantic :). I hope your dissertation was a rewarding experience. What does an ESL candidate propose for a thesis?
Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
Hodge-PODge View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2012 at 10:51am
Sounds like fun, Podsible! And thank you.  You can't quite ever "quit" teaching really, can you?
2011 RP 177, the Hodge-PODge
2011 Mercedes ML350
"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it."

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2012 at 7:36pm
Congratulations, Diane! From one pair of PhuD's to another new one. We're a couple of biologists, done and doin' our share of teaching. Once we retire (soon!) Chris hopes to get back to teaching science to Girl Scout troops around our area. Walt.
Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
2Peas-n-Rpod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 7:37pm
For all of us teachers, I think the Pod is our way to get as far away from our students as we can! LOL I always tell my student before summer break, "I love you guys, but if you see me this summer, there will be no pointing, laughing, or snickering. Just say 'Hi' then turn and walk away!"
2011 R-Pod 182G Hood River Edition
"Ribbitt" Pod (now sold)
2000 Ford F150 5.4L V8 TV
The Principal View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 5:52pm
Congrats, just retired as a School principal.
The Principal
R-176
Fish Pod
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>