R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedmonitor panel question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: monitor panel question
    Posted: 09 Apr 2012 at 10:56am
We are newbies and after dumping black water the monitor panel remained at showing 3/4 full. Anyone out there who can reccommend what to do to reset???

thanks
gary
Gary C
Camper Bob View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2012 at 11:48am
Attach a hose to the cleanout and flush it out.  Do not use your drinking water hose. 
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2012 at 11:49am
A common problem with black tanks on all campers.  As recommended on other camping forums, I've started to add water softener to my black tank - the stuff makes the walls and components slippery so theoretically it will help to keep it cleaner and thus prevent the sensor problem.

After dumping, you are supposed to add a few gallons of liquid to the black tank.  Add the water softener before you add this water.  Then when you are ready to dump, make sure the black tank is at least 2/3 full - preferrably completely full - before you dump it.  Do not leave the black tank drain valve open if you have a sewer connection.  You can leave the gray tank valve open w/o problems, but close it and get a few showers in before you dump the black tank so you can use the gray water to rinse out the sewer hose.

Following this should help with the sensor problem (although mine are still not working right) and will prevent solids from drying on the bottom of the black tank which will cause big problems down the road.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
David and Danette View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2012 at 1:41pm
  I have never tried this but I have heard flushing ice cubes into the black tank before going on a trip. The ice cubes sloshing around in the tank, was told would help clean the tank sensor.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2012 at 5:01pm
If your Pod has the connector for flushing the blackwater tank that should take care of it for you.  If I have a site with full hookups hookup my hose (not the potable water hose) to the water line and flush while I am draining the tank.  The flush connector directs the stream of water over the probes and will wash off all that gives you a false reading.  I have needed to do that several times.  I also hooked up water at home, flushed off the probes, then went to the nearest dump station and released the water.  That works too.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
Bill-GA View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2012 at 8:00pm
Originally posted by Keith-N-Dar

If your Pod has the connector for flushing the blackwater tank that should take care of it for you.  If I have a site with full hookups hookup my hose (not the potable water hose) to the water line and flush while I am draining the tank.  The flush connector directs the stream of water over the probes and will wash off all that gives you a false reading.  I have needed to do that several times.  I also hooked up water at home, flushed off the probes, then went to the nearest dump station and released the water.  That works too.

I don't have a flush connector so I purchased a wand from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BGHYDO/ref=oh_o03_s01_i00_details .  I'm not experienced in this yet, but I'm going out first time next week.

You mentioned going to a dump station to dump flush water ... Aren't these only at camp grounds? Isn't there usually a charge? It sounds like you went someplace and got a free dump? Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated. Thanks.
Bill & Bev
13 yr old dachshund 'Elsa'
2010 RP-176T (tent & slide-out)
2011 Toyota Tundra 2WD TV
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2012 at 9:31pm
In Wisconsin many of the rest areas have dump stations, as do some sanitary plants in cities.  In my case there is a county park a couple miles away with a camp ground that has a dump station and they have never given me any trouble when I use their station.  I do live in town, and have a storm sewer grate in the alley behind my house near where I park my Pod.  I have on occasion dumped small amounts of grey water down the storm sewer, but don't want to make a habit of it, and will not use it for blackwater.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 8:01am
Forget using the black-tank dummy light on any and all campers.  It's simply not worth the hassle to keep them working.  You want to know if the sh*tter is full or not?  When you flush, look down there and you'll be able to tell.  That's about the best it's going to get.  Spending the time, effort and money with water softeners, black tank sprayers, etc will only work (sometimes) for so long.
"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 8:21am
Another option for dumping at home is the sewer cleanout, you should have one whether you are on a private septic or public system.  I've used mine multiple times.  Especially nice when we are ready to leave a campground and there is a line, I'll bypass it and take care of it at home.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
TIDALWAVE View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 12:06pm
Some RV dealers carry a black water sensor cleaner.  I have only used it once.  I used a garden hose to partially fill the tank via the toilet...added the cleaner and then drove on the trip.  It did seem to work quite well...but it was fairly expensive.  Since then I dump the tank if it appears through the toilet valve to be fairly full.  At MN State Parks, the dump stations are just before the campgrounds, so I dump the waste tanks before going to a site if the tanks are more than 1/4 full.
TIDALWAVE
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>