R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFurnace/AC

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Furnace/AC
    Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 5:52pm
Thebegbie: I'm a long ways from being an expert but I pushed and held the mode button and the + temp button at the same time and the thing reset. Tried it a couple of times and it seems fine now. Given a couple of the comments above I'm wondering if some units don't have different thermostats.
Duanne & Ann
2011 177 R-Pod
2007 Toyota Tacoma
Racer|X| View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2012 at 9:32am
Tim, you saved me again!  Took our new 182g out for the first time yesterday....temps here in WI dropped pretty cold.  Couldn't get furnace to stay on.  After getting up frozen to fenangle on every few hours...my trusty iPad saved me by finding this post.

Forest River should have to fund these forums due to the BS crap documentation and manuals they pretend to provide.

One more question Tim.....my unit fan only has HI - LO and AU.  I know we both have 182g models.  It does not have an OFF.  The reset appears to have done the trick however.

A very big thank you to all fellow Podders....without these forums I would be lost.  There are so many things for. Newb camper owner to learn

Now wish me luck with my first water dump tomorrow.

X
tpierce220 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2012 at 11:20am
I can imagine that it would have been cold a little further north.  It was nice here during the day, but the temps did drop off during the evening.  Lucky you, though, for getting your Pod out.  I'm so looking forward to next weekend.  Smile

You have to cycle it to off by pressing the Mode On/Off button.  

The thermostat, once you figure it out, is not too complicated.  It reminds me of a more compact version of the electronic thermostat that I have at home.  

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Tim
Adventures with ¡Podtástic!--Life in a Forest River RPod 182G with Tim and Louis and our two cats, Desi and Lucy. Check our website at http://podtastic.info for information on our journeys.
Racer|X| View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2012 at 6:04pm
I have cycled and double checked...no OFF option.
tpierce220 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2012 at 8:53am
While it's not exactly the same thermostat, it's close: http://www.americanrvcompany.com/zoomify.asp?catalogid=10527&img=assets/images/Dometic/3313189000.jpg

Unless you have a different thermostat, you should have an "On/Off" button right below the temperature display.  That controls the furnace and the fan.  If the fan from the AC is blowing, cycle up to fan and turn it off.  Go back to Furnace and make sure that it's on or on AU.  

Edit: made the links clickable - techntrek
Adventures with ¡Podtástic!--Life in a Forest River RPod 182G with Tim and Louis and our two cats, Desi and Lucy. Check our website at http://podtastic.info for information on our journeys.
Camper Bob View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2012 at 11:43am
As we get closer to taking delivery of our 171 with the new thermostat, has anyone installed a heat strip in their A/C unit?  I did look on Dometics site and the heat strip is rather nominal in cost.  I wonder if instead of an additional electric heater for cold nights, or mornings,  this heat strip will take the cold up to an agreeable temp?
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2012 at 7:50pm
A small ceramic heater will do a better job and is cheaper.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Kickstart View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2012 at 8:28pm
Hey Camper Bob,

TNT is correct. the heat strips on an air conditioner are not efficient enough to make up for their expense. A small space heater IS much better. I've used them both and won't buy another strip.
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2012 at 8:57pm
TNT and Kstart are right, we run a 1500 watt electric heater with a thermostat that lets it cycle, it keeps the pod toasty and is very quiet, I would guess the strip heat in the dometic roof unit would run the fan on low (noisy at best) we have been out in the fall when temps dipped into the hi 20's the little 1500 watt heater would cycle every 10 or 15 minutes and it was very comfortable inside.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
Camper Bob View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2012 at 9:46pm
Ok Ok.  Got it.  So no heater strip.  Thank you all again for such terrific advice.  Will wait till Costco has them on sale again.  Probably winter.  Did see them this past season there but had not made the BUY decision.  Wish I had bought it then, however now were heading into the summer.  Making me crazy, waiting.  Will be calling the local FR rep tomorrow at his suggestion.  Said he would have a build date and even a VIN number.  Getting closer.  Did I mention that we already have two trips scheduled and paid for.  Who's excited?
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>