R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBlack and Gray Water Stuff ...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Black and Gray Water Stuff ...
    Posted: 12 Mar 2012 at 11:54am
We moved to a Pod from a T@B that only had an internal 5 gal holding tank that was used for pumping water into a small sink. We captured the drainage (gray water) in a 7 gallon container and then manually emptied it into the reservior as we left the campsite.

But now we have a Pod, with plumbing, gray and black water lines. We are by no means "clueless" but honestly this is the fist time we will have to deal with all that stuff. It seems like we have seen both types of drainage in various campsites    ...some with both gray and black and some with gray only and then a "sanitary dump station" centrally located in the campsite.

That brings a question to mind    ...if you are at a campsite where both black and gray lines are available in the ground - - how do you know which one is which AND    ...would it then be smart to own 2 separate drain hoses so that you could have both hooked up to your Pod at the same time ?

Mark J
Livin' the Dream    ...'Slogger
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2012 at 2:42pm
Wow.  I've never heard of a separate opening, at either the trailer or the campground, for black and grey.  Every trailer I've ever seen has one common outlet to which both black and grey are fed.  At the campground, there's one sewer hole only to accommodate the black and grey waste.
"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2012 at 4:45pm
+1 on nascar's comments.  All I have ever encountered was one dump pipe/hole.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2012 at 9:16pm
 Some pod models have two outlets, but as they've said, there is always one sewer connection.  You should keep the black tank closed and let it fill up.  Leave the gray tank open until you know the black tank is getting close to full, then close the gray tank and let it fill up with a shower or three.  Then dump the black tank, close it, dump the gray tank (this clears the hose), and leave it open.  
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 7:38am
Originally posted by techntrek

Some pod models have two outlets, but as they've said, there is always one sewer connection.  You should keep the black tank closed and let it fill up.  Leave the gray tank open until you know the black tank is getting close to full, then close the gray tank and let it fill up with a shower or three.  Then dump the black tank, close it, dump the gray tank (this clears the hose), and leave it open.  

Wow.  What a huge inconvenience this must be.  I can't see the logic behind designing it this way.

"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road
turncoat3 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 8:37am

Personally, I have not found that draining the Black tank first then the Gray tank to clean the hose inconvient in the 2 1/2 years I have been in my POD. 

Ben & Lorrie
2013 Surveyor 264
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 12:01pm
nascar, some models must have two due to the slide-out and tank arrangement.  Apparently the mechanism gets in the way and doesn't allow connecting the black and gray tanks to one outlet.

Since you can leave the hose on the gray tank 99% of the time and only have to move it around during dumping I can see it not being too bad - but I'm glad ours only has one.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 7:00pm
My RP173 had separate black and gray connections.  One was in front of the wheel and the other behind (I don't remember which was which, however).  I had to move the hose from one to the other to dump both tanks.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2012 at 12:48pm
LOTS of TT's have two outlets. Just go to a dealer and walk around looking at them. We camp with two other families pretty regular, and all of us have separate drops.. sort of. our 'stream has only one combined, but the pod has separate. It's absolutely no big dealeo.

So I guess we are ambidextrous.

It takes about 10 seconds longer to dump and flush the pod then the 'stream.

The inconvenient thing I see about pods sewer layout is in the garage models, where the grey water from the garage goes to the black tank..
rid415 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2012 at 9:20pm
yers is the correct anser
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>