R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedwhats a good price ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: whats a good price ?
    Posted: 07 Mar 2012 at 8:51pm
Maybe an Admin needs to pick this up and run with it, but ?
I have seen several posts recently about I got a good deal, price, etc.
maybe we need to have a survey of what we paid. new, used, or maybe this is not a good idea. Donna and I went to local rv shows for the last several years, we
did not want a 24/26/30/32 ft, a gazillion slides, auto tracking satilities, booming, blasting, etc. We wanted something like a Airstream bambi layout, but alas, it was doggone expensive, a great unit. we wanted light, effcient, good layout, good sized holding tanks,some comforts of home and something different than the toaster being pulled down the road. Then a RP-151 passed us about a year ago, I hollared remember that R POD thing so I can research it. I paid $11,300 for a new (but end of the model year) 2011 RP-172, it was a showroom demo, never pulled or titled. I think I got a great deal.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
Rabbit View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2012 at 10:20pm
I paid $11,500 for the same model.  Did not include the tent or microwave.
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2012 at 10:22am
ohh I forgot, ours also has the microwave with convection oven and included the R-dome.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
lift kit
Camper Bob View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2012 at 10:56am
We are contemplating purchasing a 171 right after tax season.  Locally here in Oregon, the only type available is the Hood River Edition, which includes larger tires and wheels, diamond plate on the lower front end, and the axle risers.  Starting price is about $14,495. this includes an additional $1,400 for deluxe interior and the same for the deluxe interior.  Also a "reserve charge" of approximatley $495. for gel coating.  I believe other than the HRE edition, all of the other charges are bogus.  Have checked prices at CouchesRVNation and they are asking $12,195 for a fully loaded 171.  Will be doing some tough jawboning on these dealers when we are ready.   
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2012 at 11:31am
We've had discussions on price before.  That's one of the advantages of this forum vs. the other one - you can talk about other camper models, other manufacturers, other dealers, price....   all good here.  Big smile

In 2010 we paid just over $12,000 for a fully loaded 171.  Originally they were asking well over that - I seem to remember it was like $17,000.  Then they wouldn't go below $14K after the first round of negotiations, until I pulled out prices from other dealers, then they immediately came within a few hundred dollars.  That tells you just how much padding is in the sticker price!
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2012 at 1:20pm
We have a early 2009 R-Pod 171 with the White Interior (They no longer make the white Interior as less than 5% of the R-Pods have this option)  We went with every option less the Axel Risers at the time of order which was Jan 2009.  We had to wait for Forest River to build the unit and took delivery in early April 2009.  We had the Dealer install a Dual Propane Tank on the camper.  Total we paid after much back and forth was $11,500.  What sealed the deal was walking into the dealer with other price quotes and letting them know this was what I was willing to pay for it and pulling out the check book.  They took the check right before I headed out the door as they said they could not go that low.  This was the Third Camper I bought from them.  Since then I have purchased another camper from them and right now have 2 campers. 
Pricing can be a tricky issue but with good skills of going back and forth helps.  I'm even worse when I go shopping for cars.
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2012 at 7:13pm
wow, sounds like most of us did get a good deal, Rite Stop RV in Lebanon Jct Ky is about 35 miles south of us, they started off telling us that the RP-172 listed for $18,500, and then the haggling started, and back and forth, so far with what I have seen the R Pod is a great value compared to a lot of other models. With the hi price of fuel I still think most of us can find a lot of fun spots within a couple of hours of home, I love to ride in jets, but I think we can get more bang for our buck with the R-Pods. P.S. I love the looks you get going down the road, like what is that ?
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
lift kit
tpierce220 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2012 at 8:42am
We bought our 182G at the Chicago Boat and RV show last year and signed a contract for $15500.  We were told at the show that we could back out of it if we wanted and get our deposit back.  It gave me enough sense after we got home to look around online and see if the price was fair.  We ran across RV Nation and saw that their price was about $1000 less and included the R-Dome, which our dealer was going to charge $700 for.  

I emailed the dealer the quote from RV Nation and said that they needed to do something about the price because I could drive to Ohio to pick it up or pay Couch's the $400 they would charge to deliver it.  They came down to $14900 and threw in the R-Dome, which was good enough for us.

I know that there's a lot of markup in the price--in some ways I know that they need to do that, so finding a price that is fair for both parties is important.  The nice thing about our dealer, Collier RV, is that their service department has been fantastic towards us and has gotten us in quickly whenever something has gone wrong.  
Adventures with ¡Podtástic!--Life in a Forest River RPod 182G with Tim and Louis and our two cats, Desi and Lucy. Check our website at http://podtastic.info for information on our journeys.
rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2012 at 10:12am
Originally posted by tpierce220

We bought our 182G at the Chicago Boat and RV show last year and signed a contract for $15500.  We were told at the show that we could back out of it if we wanted and get our deposit back.  It gave me enough sense after we got home to look around online and see if the price was fair.  We ran across RV Nation and saw that their price was about $1000 less and included the R-Dome, which our dealer was going to charge $700 for.  

I emailed the dealer the quote from RV Nation and said that they needed to do something about the price because I could drive to Ohio to pick it up or pay Couch's the $400 they would charge to deliver it.  They came down to $14900 and threw in the R-Dome, which was good enough for us.

I know that there's a lot of markup in the price--in some ways I know that they need to do that, so finding a price that is fair for both parties is important.  The nice thing about our dealer, Collier RV, is that their service department has been fantastic towards us and has gotten us in quickly whenever something has gone wrong.  

You do bring up a VERY GOOD POINT.  Pricing is not everything when looking at the camper.  You want to look at the dealer and make sure they can service you when you may need it.  Any Dealer can sell a unit but can that dealer help service it if needed.  Also I try to deal locally as much as I can.  BUT my dealer lost the service for State Inspections as they want me to drop off the camper on a Monday Morning and they MAY get it done sometime during the week (Even with an appointment).  My Auto Repair Shop is able to inspect the Trailer.  All I do is take it down and grab a cup of coffee in the waiting room as they inspect it and then I'm on my way with the trailer even before I'm due at work.
Dreisler View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2012 at 9:51pm
We picked up our 182G last August with everything except the risers for $13,500 from Jeff Couch's RV Nation in Ohio. They were quite helpful and I made the purchase easy. Though fortunately we haven't had any problems. 
A man, woman, and two little ladies in a pod.
2012 RPod 182G
2011 Toyota Tacoma TRD Quad Cab
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>