FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPropane & Battery usage

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Propane & Battery usage
    Posted: 05 Mar 2012 at 10:25am
Hi again fellow Podders,

On average, how long can I expect a 20lb tank of propane to last when using the furnace thru much of the night ?
Also, what do you prefer via experience when running the fidge....propane or the battery?
I am just trying to figure out how much usage I can get and the most efficient way.
I bought an extra battery and am wondering if I really need an extra propane tank. Thanks.
HuronSailor View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2012 at 10:43am
If you don't have access to shore power, you'll definitely want to run the fridge on propane. The fridge will suck the battery dry within a day or so depending on outside temps. It's the biggest battery hog in your pod. 
.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: 2018 rPod 180 :.
John & Kris View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2012 at 11:13am
DABABE:  After you have the fridge chilled down and on the road we use the battery as the TV is also charging the Pod battery. When camped and no electrical use the propane as suggested as iit will suck the battery down quickly. When pluged in we use an electric heater and it works great and saves the propane if we are ij a Walmart or Flying J. Depending on how "warm" ypou want it the propane should last a decent amount of time...you will just have to test it after running the stove and heater for a days use and see how much propane has been used ( you will have to take into consideration the outside temp and your internal setting as that will vary the amount used)
Hope this helps...I am sure others have more expeience with the Pod Porpane usage as we are new to our unit.  Have FUN podding SmileThumbs Up
John
John.Kris & "Sarah" our Golden
Aiken SC
"12 R.Pod 182G
TV "12 Lexus GX460
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2012 at 11:46am
We spent a week in Estes Park late September and ran the heater nearly every night.  It dipped into the twenties most nights.  We still had most of the tank when we got home.  Not scientific, but the gas use was quite small.  For us one 20 pound tank seems to be what we need. YMMV.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2012 at 12:10pm
The fridge will kill the battery in a few hours in 12 volt mode, but will last for a month on propane (assuming you keep the battery charged periodically - it still needs some battery power even in propane mode). Depending on how cold it is outside and how warm you have it set inside, the furnace will last from several days to a week on one tank. Usually you have to worry about the battery more because the furnace fan is a hog. 2 or 3 nights tops for the battery if you keep your other useage low, like lights and water pump.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2012 at 12:14pm
two batteries work best when charged and used together, make sure you connect them properly. After paralleling the + and -, connect the campers + to one battery and the - to the other. Connecting the campers lines to only one of them will cause them to charge and discharge unevenly killing one of them early.

Snowbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2012 at 3:23pm
Your propane will last far longer than you think it will for refridgerator and stove ad heating. Last year we camped 70 nights.  We used the stove on average once per day and had to heat the pod at night about 6 times. We ran the fridge on propane except when actually on the road when we switched over to battery.
We refilled the 20 lb. propane tank once and still have some left.

The first time we took it out our propane ran dry after 2 days. Our camping neighbour smelled propane and we discovered we had a leak. We used the dish soap test to track it down.( Dish soap bubbles around the leak) The RV people fixed the leak and re-filled the tank and we have had no problems since.
Tom and Bette
in our 177 "The Gastropod"
Outbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2012 at 9:44pm
My experience has been: using my furnace in 0C-10C overnight temperatures, propane will last 4-6 days.  Running just the fridge on propane, on the other hand will last 20-25 days.  The water heater will consume a tank in around 15-20 days.

Each burner on your stove, on high, uses about 1 pound of propane per hour.

So, as far as propane use, I tend to use a tank about every 4-5 days in spring/autumn.  In the summer, a tank tends to last about 15 days.

But, as others have mentioned, your weakest link is the battery.  With reasonable use of lights, powering the propane detector and water pump, plus charging my cell phone, a group 27 battery will last me 3 nights (maybe 4) during the summer.  A group 24 battery (which is the standard size installed by many RV dealers) lasts me 2 nights.  In the spring/autumn when the furnace runs frequently, the group 27 lasts 2 nights; a group 24 will get me through 1 night.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2012 at 9:59pm
Good info, Outbound, thanks.
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2012 at 6:02pm
Outbound sums up quite well our experience with propane and  battery usage.  We use a lot of lights and battery usage is longer because we changed all our interior lights to L.E.D.'s which only consume about 1 watt/bulb and are brighter than the factory installed ones.  At that rate we could use all our interior lights at the same time and still use about the same amount of watts as 1 factory installed bulb!  We camped out at Glacier for a week last September and had mid-upper 30's each night, furnace worked quite a bit, we only used them a night as we were hiking during the day.  We managed to get 12 days out of 1 tank, that included a fair amount of stove use for cooking as well.  We were thankful to have 2 batteries, they would run to about 1/3 charge after 4 days, after that we switched to the other. 
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>