Topic ClosedPropane & Battery usage

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
jato View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Propane & Battery usage
    Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 4:30pm
Sure, the Putco page is hard to maneuver.  Do a google search.  Type in  " putco, led light bulbs for travel trailers."  On the result page go down about 5 entries to where it reads " putco  white 921 Type 360 degree Hi Intensity LED premium replacement light bulb."  Click on that link and you can read all the comments on the bulb.  You will read some negative comments but I am still sold on them 1 year after purchase.  A few of my friends who have purchased the same also have nothing but praise for the bulb. 
Some replied these are dim but IMHO if they were any brighter, they would be too bright.  Price is $ 20.16/pair on Amazon.  You can order them - look at the upper right hand corner to order.  Hope this helps.

God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 4:14pm
Thanks Jim.  I having difficulties finding the correct one from that website that you provided.  Can you narrow it down for me please?
"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 4:00pm
Ray,

Those would work however the one I use is nearly identical in size to the one you have removed, so it will fit inside the lens nicely w/o having to fabricate an additional piece to hold it in place, as you would probably have to if you purchased the one you posted on your link.  My 1 cents worth.

Jim
God's pod
'11 model 177

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 7:36am
OK, thanks.  I'll check them out, but was also considering these.  The price is right and I've read of at least one other person using them.

"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2012 at 8:50pm
I changed out the existing 921 bulbs with ones from Putco, go to their website or you can purchase them in pairs for $ 20.00 at Amazon.  I got mine from Putco last April, but friends of mine ordered theirs from Amazon (got the exact same thing) for the same price, I guess the choice is yours.  Expensive up front BUT, use very little off your battery AND they will last a long time AND they don't give off any heat AND they give off more light than the factory installed 921's.
God's pod
'11 model 177

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2012 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by jato

Outbound sums up quite well our experience with propane and  battery usage.  We use a lot of lights and battery usage is longer because we changed all our interior lights to L.E.D.'s which only consume about 1 watt/bulb and are brighter than the factory installed ones.  At that rate we could use all our interior lights at the same time and still use about the same amount of watts as 1 factory installed bulb!  We camped out at Glacier for a week last September and had mid-upper 30's each night, furnace worked quite a bit, we only used them a night as we were hiking during the day.  We managed to get 12 days out of 1 tank, that included a fair amount of stove use for cooking as well.  We were thankful to have 2 batteries, they would run to about 1/3 charge after 4 days, after that we switched to the other. 

Can you share the details of the LEDs you installed and if you have a weblink, that would be great.  Thanks.

"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2012 at 6:02pm
Outbound sums up quite well our experience with propane and  battery usage.  We use a lot of lights and battery usage is longer because we changed all our interior lights to L.E.D.'s which only consume about 1 watt/bulb and are brighter than the factory installed ones.  At that rate we could use all our interior lights at the same time and still use about the same amount of watts as 1 factory installed bulb!  We camped out at Glacier for a week last September and had mid-upper 30's each night, furnace worked quite a bit, we only used them a night as we were hiking during the day.  We managed to get 12 days out of 1 tank, that included a fair amount of stove use for cooking as well.  We were thankful to have 2 batteries, they would run to about 1/3 charge after 4 days, after that we switched to the other. 
God's pod
'11 model 177
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2012 at 9:59pm
Good info, Outbound, thanks.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2012 at 9:44pm
My experience has been: using my furnace in 0C-10C overnight temperatures, propane will last 4-6 days.  Running just the fridge on propane, on the other hand will last 20-25 days.  The water heater will consume a tank in around 15-20 days.

Each burner on your stove, on high, uses about 1 pound of propane per hour.

So, as far as propane use, I tend to use a tank about every 4-5 days in spring/autumn.  In the summer, a tank tends to last about 15 days.

But, as others have mentioned, your weakest link is the battery.  With reasonable use of lights, powering the propane detector and water pump, plus charging my cell phone, a group 27 battery will last me 3 nights (maybe 4) during the summer.  A group 24 battery (which is the standard size installed by many RV dealers) lasts me 2 nights.  In the spring/autumn when the furnace runs frequently, the group 27 lasts 2 nights; a group 24 will get me through 1 night.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
Snowbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2012 at 3:23pm
Your propane will last far longer than you think it will for refridgerator and stove ad heating. Last year we camped 70 nights.  We used the stove on average once per day and had to heat the pod at night about 6 times. We ran the fridge on propane except when actually on the road when we switched over to battery.
We refilled the 20 lb. propane tank once and still have some left.

The first time we took it out our propane ran dry after 2 days. Our camping neighbour smelled propane and we discovered we had a leak. We used the dish soap test to track it down.( Dish soap bubbles around the leak) The RV people fixed the leak and re-filled the tank and we have had no problems since.
Tom and Bette
in our 177 "The Gastropod"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>