Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIllinois Newbies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Illinois Newbies
    Posted: 11 Feb 2012 at 5:52pm
My wife and I  pop-upped for about 10 years while raising the kids. As they got older and found interest in other things, we sold it and took about a 6 year break from camping (bought a boat). Now that they are adult, we bought a new 182G in June 2011 on a whim, with the idea that we could "move up" later if we wanted. I can't tell you how much fun it has been. We had it out 5 times in 2011 from the heat of summer till late fall. We just love having AC and and a comfy furnace and a potty for those middle of the night urges. The garage feature on the 182G is amazing, and was the selling point for us, as we are usually "indoors" only if it rains or to retire in the evening. We pack a cassette butane stove that stays in the garage and use it and the campfire to do nearly all of our cooking. We did use the the convection oven once for a meatloaf and found out just how sensitive a smoke detector is in a confined space. We love our pod and are having a ball with it. One upgrade I would suggest is the riser kit. I bought it direct from Forest River for less than $100.00 and installed it myself. It's really not that difficult for someone with average mechanical skills and the right tools. The trailer, especially the stabilizer jacks, is just too low from the factory. We tow with a V6 Highlander AWD with trailer package. No problem at all.
Randy and Anne
2011 R-Pod 182G
2009 Highlander V6 AWD
Goose View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2012 at 6:14pm
   Glade that you are having fun and welcome.   Goose
Mother Goose's Caboose..2011 RP171..07 Grand Cherokee
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2012 at 6:27pm
Welcome.  What cassette stove do you have?
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
2Poders View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2012 at 7:05pm
We have a Camp Chef stove purchased from Cabelas for about $30.00. Very compact, and burns very hot. There are several similar models widely available for about the same price. Finding 8 oz fuel canisters was problematic until I discovered they are available at Gordon's Food Service (GFS) for less than $2.00 per can. Internet prices are higher, and you need to pay a Haz Mat shipping fee.
Randy and Anne
2011 R-Pod 182G
2009 Highlander V6 AWD
Podsible Dream View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2012 at 8:51pm
Welcome! Next time you are out, make sure you take some pictures and post them!!
Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Dodge Durango Crew 5.7 L Hemi V8
2Peas-n-Rpod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2012 at 1:37am
Originally posted by 2Poders

Now that they are adult, we bought a new 182G in June 2011 on a whim, with the idea that we could "move up" later if we wanted. I can't tell you how much fun it has been. We just love having AC and and a comfy furnace and a potty for those middle of the night urges. The garage feature on the 182G is amazing, and was the selling point for us, as we are usually "indoors" only if it rains or to retire in the evening. We love our pod and are having a ball with it.

That is exactly our experience with our 182G. We use an EZ-Up over the garage area and spend almost all our time back there, happy as clams! We love ours as well, and can't wait for warmer weather to get out on the road again. Many happy travels to you!
2011 R-Pod 182G Hood River Edition
"Ribbitt" Pod (now sold)
2000 Ford F150 5.4L V8 TV
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2012 at 7:05am
Welcome to the group!  I know you'll enjoy your Pod.  Feel free to post any questions you may have.  There are lots of friendly folks around here who are happy to help.
tpierce220 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2012 at 9:58am
Welcome Randy and Ann!  The 182G is a great pod to have.  I agree that the axle risers are a must.  We bottomed out a couple of times when driving to Wisconsin last summer.

Where did you get your pod?

Tim
Adventures with ¡Podtástic!--Life in a Forest River RPod 182G with Tim and Louis and our two cats, Desi and Lucy. Check our website at http://podtastic.info for information on our journeys.
2Poders View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2012 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by tpierce220

Welcome Randy and Ann!  The 182G is a great pod to have.  I agree that the axle risers are a must.  We bottomed out a couple of times when driving to Wisconsin last summer.

Where did you get your pod?

Collier RV, Rockford
Randy and Anne
2011 R-Pod 182G
2009 Highlander V6 AWD
neadmo View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2012 at 10:21pm
Welcome to the rpod experiance.  We have a 173. Got it about 3 years ago. We are in Pontiac IL.
neadmo 2016 rpod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>