Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed1st dry camp

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1st dry camp
    Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 6:09pm
Hi Everyone,    Got back last week from my first dry camp trip with my trailer (rpod 151). This was a check out trip to determine what is needed for longer trips. Stayed 3 nights at the Corrizo Plains National Monument. The park is located in a very secluded area about 50 mi west of Bakersfield,Ca. off of hwy 58. The Corrizo is definitely dry camping. You have to or should pack in your own water.  The two camp grounds are  nice, clean, level, free and have vault toilets. The main features of the park would be Soda Lake (which was dry), San Andreas Fault (which was'nt shaking) and a abundance of wild life. During my hikes into the plains I spotted 
coyotes, maybe a fox?, hawks, eagles, other birds and a herd of
Tule Elk.  I would imagine strolling around the Corrizo would be like strolling though the plains of
africa except without the lions rhinos and whatever.  The park is beautiful.
What I determined afer this trip is I need more battery capacity (have a grp 24) and evenutally a higher clearance vehicle with more power. (used a 4 cyl 2 wheel drive truck)
Thanks, ajzuma

g4royce View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 7:30pm
The park sounds gorgeous.  Can't believe that there were so many animals.  

I think we tried dry camping a few times for a long weekend (3 days) but not longer.  What did you find consumed the most power?  We did use LED puck lights inside and votive candles and headlamps outside. Anything that could be set to propane, was.

ChaiPod
2009 RP152
2011 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.5L V6
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 8:09pm
If you move to 2 batteries, I highly recommend going with two 6 volt (golf cart) deep cycle batteries in series vs. two 12 volt deep cycle batteries in parallel.  
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
ajzuma View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 3:42am
Hi again, I saw the elks while hiking for about 3 hrs into the plains. Spotted  the other animals and birds while driving around the dirt roads.
                 The battery power were mainly consumed by the using the furnace a few times, lights, and a 400 watt inverter  that  powered a satellite radio.   The golf cart batteries is a great idea but maybe a bit heavy. Trying to stay lite as posible. Pulling the 151 with a Toyota 4 cyl.  
 Thinking of two inexpensive 12 volt batteries until I buy another truck.  Expecting my dependable 14 year old toy to blow up soon  from all this abusive driving and tolling.
                My next trip will be a week in Death Valley during early Spring.
    Thanks ajzuma
    Oh! Word of advice guys. Always test your gear before you go out to sticks. While tolling my toy only has 140 mi range so I bought gas cans. Discovered the gas can spout were too short to reach the gas tank fill hole. Did'nt have a funnel so I was screwed. Had to improvise. Took my solar shower apart and used the tubing. Duct tape the tubing to the mouth of a disposible water bottle then cut the bottom of the bottle off and feed the fuel intravenously.  

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 3:52pm
In general the weight of a similar-sized battery (group 24, 26, etc) will be the same.  Not exactly, but close.  If you are going to add a 2nd battery it really doesn't matter if it is another 12 volt battery - or if you change out to two 6 volt batteries.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 3:54pm
Creative way to get around your gas problem.  I recently bought a new 5-gallon gas can and wondered the same thing about its short spout.  Now I need to check to see if I can use it to fill my cars!  I specifically bought this one to keep gas long-term (with Stabil) for emergencies.
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2012 at 3:45am
If you were NOT using the fridge, it should be unplugged.  If left plugged in it still uses power.  The same with the TV.  Using a regular battery powered radio for over the air radio, although not as nice, will save a lot of battery drain on the Pod also.

As you found out, the furnace draws a lot of power.  Its the blower that does it. 

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
ajzuma View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2012 at 4:39am
SmileHi Again Everyone,  Thanks for the replies guys. Great ideas. Did'nt consider uplugging the appliances. The 4 blue ice placed in the refer didn't quite last the trip.
                 Have some ideas on saving battery power. Thinking of wiring the battery compartment of the satellite radio so it can plugged into a 12 volt outlet. The radio will accept 8 C cells. Then I won't have to use an inverter. For heat I'll use a portable buddy with a extension hose  that will reach the trailer propane bottle. I'll be sure to leave the windows, and  if nessesary the door open for ventilation.
                  Picked up a transmission fill funnel for the gas cans and try it out. Works perfectly.  Built some shelves made of bamboo cutting boards and brass fittings then installed a couple 12 volt outlets to them. The shelves were mounted on each side of the  entertainment console. I'll post some pictures when I learn how its done. Had the axle bearings repacked for the first time. Trailer should  just about be ready for the Death Valley trip.
                  Thanks and happy camping,   ajzuma

Hodge-PODge View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2012 at 7:56am
Looking forward to seeing those pictures!
2011 RP 177, the Hodge-PODge
2011 Mercedes ML350
"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it."

this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2012 at 8:58am
If dry camping is going to be a regular activity for you, I'd suggest a generator.  That's assuming your definition of dry camping is going to a place that doesn't have electric but you desire it vs. you  not wanting to use electric at all.  Look at the Honda or Yamaha.
"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>