Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed1st dry camp

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1st dry camp
    Posted: 25 Jan 2012 at 3:38pm
I bought a 40w solar panel.  Seems to do a good job of keeping the batteries charged as long as the sun is shining.
ajzuma View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 9:26pm
Hi Everyone,  Again great ideas. Considered a generator, but decided against it. Trying to minimize the ecological footprint. Solar panels might be the way to go. Base on some solar power and deep cycle battery reseach I estimate I would need 80 watts of solar panels to charge two group 24 batteries within one 6 hour day of good sunlight. Is this correct? I found a store located in Az that sells a portable solar panel package. The system includes  solar panels that folds in half, a charge controller, and a neat aluminum hard case. I like it but very expensive. About $500. What do you guys think?
            Thanks, ajzuma
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2012 at 1:19pm
I highly recommend you go to the Wind Sun Solar Forum and discuss your plans there.  There are members there that have lived off-grid from solar since the early 80's - thousands of years' experience combined.  http://www.wind-sun.com/ForumVB/index.php

I can tell you that 80 watts of panels will only give you about 16 amps @ 12 volts over a full day of charging.  This includes 5 hours of sun (you'll get less in the winter, don't count on more in the summer), times 80 watts, divided by 2, divided by 12 volts.  Between charger losses, line losses, battery losses during charging, etc, you end up loosing half of your input power.  You'll need more panels.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
ajzuma View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2012 at 5:53pm
Hi Guys, I'm not a full time RVer and don't plan to be. It looks like a wonderful life but I love the city life and don't want give it up yet, Just want to escape from the city a few months a year.  The rv parks I've used up to now just don't do it for me. The're like small cities. Just want to live off the grid a few weeks at a time and have a few comforts.
              Thanks, ajzuma
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2012 at 8:37pm
You'll be pulling more than 16 amps out of your batteries each day if you aren't careful, especially if you use the factory incandescent lights and the furnace (the fan uses a lot).  Not a big deal for a week out since you can plug in at home after the week is over, while putting 16 amps back in every day to extend your runtime during that week.  But go a few weeks out and you'll never keep up. 
ajzuma View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2012 at 7:43pm
Hi Again,  Thanks for all the information guys. I'm just going to go out there and wing it. Finally loaded some pictures into the computer. Hope they loaded.
Thanks, ajzuma
bobthrash View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 9:32pm
We dry camp almost always.  We have 2 batteries with a isolation switch then a solar panel, and led lights.  It is good to have the isolation switch then when if you run out of juice you have back up and can further conserve.  Our solar panel is portable so we can chase the sun if need be.
Bob & Maureen
2006 Tundra
ajzuma View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 5:02am
Hi Everyone, I considered all the suggestion and decided to buy one AGM group 24 battery and later a 80 watt portable solar panel. The current wet cell  will be use solely as a house battery. I will pickup LED lights and conserve power the best I can. The AGM battery will be carried in the POD and stowed securely. The AGM will be used mainly during extended trailer dry camping, tent camping, fishing trips, back-up to the house battery and running my radio. Thanks again guys. I'm going sign off from this post because we're kind of getting away from camping adventures. (My fault) I'll start a new post when I return from Death Valley. Happy Camping, ajzuma    

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 9:52pm
Sounds like a good start.  A second battery will go a long way.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12