R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTowing with a Jeep Rubicon - Event Date: 18 Jan 2012

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Towing with a Jeep Rubicon
    Posted: 18 Jan 2012 at 5:30pm
HI!
We are looking at buying the 182G R-pod.
Wondering if anyone has experience towing with a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
We are looking at buying the 2012 4 door version that supposedly has a more powerful engine than the previous years- However the tow weight
is listed as 3500 lbs and the r-pod 182 dry weight is 2800 lbs.
Loaded would be probably at least 3500 lbs -
Does anyone else have experience towing with other vehicles that have a 3500 pound tow limit?
Thanks
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2012 at 6:33pm
Welcome.  My 2003 Sienna has that limit and isn't quite powerful enough or has a stiff enough suspension for all situations for my 171 - all due to the frontal area of the Pod when towing at highway speeds.  Back roads aren't a problem.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2012 at 7:40pm
I think you would be really cutting it close.  The engine would handle it.  My Jeep Liberty 3.7L 4X4 does just fine and you would have a bigger engine.  The tranny, brakes and suspension would be the weak points.  The brakes and suspension would be easy to fix.

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
Tidalwave4455 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 7:37pm
I would recommend a weight distribution hitch.  My Jeep Wrangler used to porpoise like mad on bumpy roads when towing a small travel trailer.  My Pod towed solidly behind my Jeep Liberty with a WDH installed.
dcrispin1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 12:38am
I just started towing an RPod 173 with a 2008 Rubicon.
my 173 weighs 2150lbs. My 173 is about 400 lb lighter than your 182.
there have been some improvement in the jeep rubicon since mine was made on 08.

My jeep has the 4 spd auto and you will  have either 6 spd manual or 5 speed auto. you will also have the new Pentaflex engine with about 25 or so more HP and more torque. This all matters.
I pull mine in 3rd gear with overdrive off. I cruise at 55-60 at 2500 rpm. I am at my limits of capacity with that. I cant get torque converter lockup in overdrive so I keep it off and cruise in 3rd. I do pull it steady with no seesawing, no swaying, tracks like a dream, electric brakes work quite well. So far I am pleased and satisfied that I can tow anywhere I want.  at 2500 rpm the engine is not over revving and not overheating and my tranny is cool and good.
you will be able to do better with your increase in power and torque and more gears. You will be towing in higher gear at lower rpms and can downshift when you need to higher rpms and more power without having to be in too low a gear. 

you will find that every lb of weight matters. I plan on taking off my hard top and travelling with my trek top which will save about 150lbs. going to take one propane bottle, keep water tanks empty till I get to where Im going, carry minimal extra clothing and general gear.

keep to minimal weight on gear and stuff you plan to travel with.

may have to keep speeds aroung 60 or so but thats OK with me. Mileage will drop drmatically as mine is around 10-12
remember the rubicon is very hevay duty with oversize axles and differntials, heavier shoks, springs, overall suspension. bigger brakes etc. It all helps.  THe Jeep is plenty strong and can handle the load on the frame and suspension.  You may consider a tranny cooler add on too.  I have flash chip that also gives me a bit more HP that could help you too.
I think you will be fine. I kow of a few other Jeepers pulling trailers in this weight class and are doing fine. and they arent in Rubicons.
I think you will be happy but it wont be like pulling a jet ski behind you.

If you think you are cutting it to close you may consider other 4X4s if you arent stuck on a jeep (I am so I accept the comprimises) 
If you can find a good jeep Commander with a bigger engine that is a kick arse rig,  a Grand Cherokee,  of a Ford F-150 Pickup, severl other vehicles could fit your needs with more power.

see my post under camping in Ocala.

good luck
dcrispin1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 12:47am
sorry didnt realize there is almost 700 lbs weight difference in our trailers.  but with this generation of Jeep Rubicon you still have the strongest suspension, frame, axles and diffs available in a production vehicle short of an F -250 dually pickup.  

Again its all about weight and comprimise.

again best of luck

dave

marwayne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 1:32am
Hi sostler, welcome to the group.
I hate to burst your bubble, you say the dry weight of the 182G 2800#, you can add another 350 to 450# for things like batteries, propane tanks, AC, microwave, furnace, hotwater tank, fridge, cooktop ect.
Dealers dont tell you that, I found that out after the fact.

Good Luck
If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

TIDALWAVE View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 8:58am

I stopped over at my local Jeep dealer.  I took  my Pod Spec sheet with.  The sales person looked it over and asked me how much did my dual tanks weigh and an estimate on how much stuff I bring with in the Pod.  He shook his head and said that with four people in a Rubicon and a full tank of gas...that the jeep exceeded Chrysler's weight limits.  He mentioned that the Liberty could handle the Pod but he was worried about using a Wrangler Rubicon.  The jeep was designed to haul itself and passengers, not a heavy tow load.

TIDALWAVE
sostler View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 10:09am

Thanks for your replies and suggestions.
My husband is really stuck on getting the jeep wringer rubicon so I guess we will need to find
an additional vehicle for towing or look at other travel trailer options. Does anyone know of a good
lighter weight camper than the r-pod? I found one in canada called the safari condo but it is listed
as 24,000-33,000 dollars!-
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 10:58am
Originally posted by sostler

Thanks for your replies and suggestions.
My husband is really stuck on getting the jeep wringer rubicon so I guess we will need to find
an additional vehicle for towing or look at other travel trailer options. Does anyone know of a good
lighter weight camper than the r-pod? I found one in canada called the safari condo but it is listed
as 24,000-33,000 dollars!-

Consider a pop-up camper.
"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>