Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Folornhope View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: I like this camper - Chalet Takena
    Posted: 14 Mar 2012 at 12:53am
Heh, here at the RV park had a couple with an Aliner stop and check out Eddy.  They were on their way out when they saw him, but had to stop and come over when they saw the slide out.
Eddy the Escape Pod...177
Ford F150
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 7:34pm

Too true, sorry for mixing up the A-liners with the A-frames from Chalet!  Some interesting models in that video, love the sauna!

I don't have an answer about the window.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
g4royce View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 5:00pm
Here's a video from Messe Frankfurt, a German tradeshow that includes everything from sporting goods to raw cotton (but at different time frames).  Apologies in advance bc the video is in German.

The first camper is awesome for you 2-in-1 camper & houseboat needs ;) while the last one looks like something that would've been nice for the French Creek Roundup :D

ChaiPod
2009 RP152
2011 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.5L V6
g4royce View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 4:12pm
I know this is a bit off topic, but look at the windows on the Aliner doors.  Are they double-hung? Do you think they would fit the pod door? It would be nice to have airflow on that side of the pod.

Just to avoid completely confusing every, the Aliner is another company that makes A-frame style campers and is not related to Chalet mentioned in this thread.

We originally looked at hard-sided pop-ups, A-frame and decided we liked the T@B.  Then instead of bringing in the newer (and bigger) designs from Germany, they discontinued the entire line!  Cry  We were hoping they'd import their high-end model T@B L400.  A German friend of mine sent us the link and we fell in love with that large sunroof.  It can open and has built-in track netting and blackout shade in the frame. <drool>

Just around that time, the r-pod was introduced and so we went for it Big smile  
ChaiPod
2009 RP152
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 3:58pm
Will keep that in mind if I ever tour the Takena.  I'll have an extra-critical eye on contruction now!
Kickstart View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 3:04pm
Tech,
We had a 1930 (one of the larger Chalets). We purchased it new, and it wasn't cheap. We had hoped to keep it for a long time, but the bubble roof windows warped around the edges and leaked profusely, as did the roof vent. The frame rails rusted worse and more quickly than any other trailer we had owned (2 Skylines, and an Arctic Fox). The  cabinets were very poorly constructed. After 5 years of ownership I was spending more time with maintenence than camping. I know lots of people love their Chalets, but I'm not one of them. It did tow nicely and I got good mileage compared to the Pod @ 12-15 mpg compared to the Pod standard 10-12 mpg.

The Arctic Fox and our current RP 175 are much easier to live with. RVing is supposed to be fun, and it wasn't for us with the Chalet. The low end Skylines (Aljo and Layton) were even better built at much lower prices.  
Hodge-PODge View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 8:59am
I seriously thought about getting the Chalet A frame - but that was before I found the R-Pod.
2011 RP 177, the Hodge-PODge
2011 Mercedes ML350
"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it."

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 8:01pm
Very interesting, thanks.  A lot of A-frame owners I've spoken with (in person and online) seem to be satisfied - what model did you have?
Kickstart View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 3:11pm
Hey tech,

When we bought our RP 175, we really liked the layout of the Takena too, but immediately eliminated it from our list of possible purchases. We had a Chalet, and weren't impressed with the quality. The longer we owned it, the more tight jawed we became with it. Five years was way too long-leaks, poor construction, and cheap accessories. Of the 5 trailers we've owned it was our worst experience. Just my experience, but never again with that company for me!
g4royce View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 1:22pm
We've been dreaming about going up to a 172 or 171 because of the dog situation, but it all comes down to the fact that we got the 152 for the low hitch weight and if we got anything bigger, we probably won't take it out as often which would kind of defeat the whole purpose of owning one.

Originally we had planned to sleep in the bunks and leave the dinette up, but the dog wouldn't settle down and played musical beds throughout the night.  So we ended up extending the dinette so we could both squish in with the dog.   

ChaiPod
2009 RP152
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>