R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedInterstate battery replacement

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Interstate battery replacement
    Posted: 06 Jan 2012 at 11:35am
I recently took my Pod to Lazydays RV in Tampa, FL where I purchased it in April 2011.  The battery was boiling over and smoking.  The dealer checker the converter to make certain that the battery was the cause of this problem.  I ended up with a new Interstate battery and was charged almost $100 for it.  It should be under warranty and I am still trying to get a refund.  I contacted Interstate and they said that they had to have the battery as proof of defect.  I said that the dealer took it.  Result?  They could not help me.  Now dealer is contacting FR to see if they will do a "courtesy" replacement/refund to them.  I do not understand this entire mess as whom ever Lazydays got the new battery from, they are the ones who should have given me a new battery free of charge.

BlissfulDead
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2012 at 3:31pm
If the battery is boiling, it sounds like your charger is bad.  Do you have a voltmeter?  After an overnight charge, but while the battery is still on the charger, you should get a reading somewhere around 13.4 volts.  With what you are describing you may see something in the mid-to-upper 14's all the time, and not just during specific points in the charge cycle.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2012 at 4:17pm
Again, I agree with Tech.  What you describe sounds more like an issue with the converter/charger....which ruined the battery.

Warranties are frustrating.  It seems everyone wants to point the finger at someone else. 

I am not a lawyer or legal expert but, it seems if the RV dealer provides Interstate batteries, they should be an authorized "Interstate battery dealer".  If so, the RV dealer should have replaced the battery and worked out reimbursement with Interstate.   For example - the dealer didn't manufacture your camper, but provides warranty service on it, and then, gets reimbursed by the manufacturer.  Make sense???

Unfortunately, things don't always seem to want to go this way.  Good luck!
sfish View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2012 at 6:15pm
I fried a newer battery on my sob and it turned out to be the converter. I replaced the converter (under warranty) and I also took the battery to the dealer and they gave me a new one no questions asked. Good Luck.
sjf
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2012 at 6:23pm
I have never had problems on a camper, but have replaced Interstate batteries a few times on vehicles.  Always been a breeze.  Sorry to hear of your problem.  I guess I would not do lots of business with that dealer if they can't handle this.
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2012 at 7:47pm
At my A C Delco tech shop we carry Interstate batteries and they have always bent over backwards for me during a Warranty situation. I understand the battery is installed by the selling dealer and not F R. I state batteries are not cheap, but really high quality, they do fail sometimes like anything else mechanical. I plan on upgrading mine this coming spring, my battery was new 10/2011, but it is a low capacity battery. on the good note, I get them at cost. Opps I have not put my charger on, I better do that tomorrow. I know better.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2012 at 6:20pm
I put my charger on the battery and it is fully charged, does the pod electrical panel include an internal battery charger ? My pod is covered and winterized next to my outbuilding, but I have it plugged in so that sometimes when I go down there and hide I have power. I need to get my manual out and read up on it.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
lift kit
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2012 at 5:10am
Originally posted by dsmiths

I put my charger on the battery and it is fully charged, does the pod electrical panel include an internal battery charger ? 
Yes, it does.  The WFCO converter/charger (I'm working from memory) has a 3 stage charger built in (or maybe it's just 2 stage???).  One could leave the battery(s) connected to the Pod and just leave the Pod plugged in all of the time.  During the camping season, I do just that....stay plugged in all of the time.

Most everything I have read about the WFCO indicates it is a fine unit and I have had good luck with all of mine.  There is only one exception...it is a bit "RF noisy" for those of us who are Ham radio operators.  CB enthusiast would likely encounter the same issue. 

I bring mine in the garage during the winter months, mainly for my convenience.  Though this winter has been mild so far, I really don't want to go outside and check things on the camper (like the water level in the cells) when the temps are zero and below.
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2012 at 10:38am
David, thanks for the reply, I do understand QRM. I may remove the battery and take it in the man cave on a float charger. and I would think it wise to insulate the positive battery terminal, I assume if it touches ground it may damage to charger portion of the power panel.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
lift kit
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2012 at 12:03pm
That is what I do - on the camper.  I give both positive and negative leads a light coat of dielectric grease, put them in individual sandwich bags and then wrap both (individually) in black electrical tape.  Then I tuck everything up underneath the camper to keep it out of the direct weather.  If I would plug into commercial power, everything is OK and nothing should short out. 

I've read on another RV forum (RV net???) some other hams discussing the QRM (noise) so, it must not be uncommon with this unit.  In fairness to WFCO, they probably didn't design the unit to be a "communications grade" power supply (I don't know why they would).  One fellow actually changed out his unit for another brand and it helped.........but that's not inexpensive.  Me, if it gets to be annoying, I just unplug from commercial power and run off of the batteries.  I really only need commercial power for the air conditioner (don't use the microwave and can run the water heater on propane). Other than that, the WFCO seems to do just fine. 

Given your background, maybe you can answer this for me:

My TV is an 09 Silverado with the tow package, which included a second battery tray.  I was thinking, rather than lug around the generator, run the camper on one battery and put the second battery in the truck, which could be charged up when just driving around sightseeing, etc.  When the camper battery gets low, just swap the two.  Is there anything "special" about hooking up the second battery?

And, do I want to throw my back out lifting a generator or would I rather throw my back out lifting batteries???LOL

PS - This method would also get some weight off of the trailer tongue....I'm getting close to the maximum that I should put there without a weight distribution hitch.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>