R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPre-purchase of used pod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pre-purchase of used pod
    Posted: 21 Nov 2011 at 11:22am
Howdy folks,
    I'm looking at a used 2011 model 177 being sold on a used RV lot.  The story is that it was purchased in Tennesse, driven to Oregon and traded on another RV.  It looks new other than a bathroom door that doesn't open smoothly.  It doesnt't appear that the frig or stove were even used. 
     My question is this.  What should I be looking for?  I'm a 'car guy' and think that I can pick out a damaged vehicle but I've never owned a trailer before.  Any tips on a pre-purchase inspection?

Thanks,
Rob
sfish View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2011 at 12:24pm
I would ask for the previous owners name and call and ask them if there were any issues. You can usually tell by their response. I would also look at the axels and check the under carriage for anything that might look suspicious. Good luck.
sjf
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2011 at 12:40pm
Welcome, Robwid.  I agree that a careful look underneath should tell you if its been in an accident, damage or repairs to the frame should be obvious.  I would also run every appliance on every mode (gas/AC/DC) before purchase.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2011 at 1:27pm
If it was me, I would try out everything in all modes that it can run on.  Ask will the dealer give you any warranty on the used unit (30 days or something but make sure you are able to use it several times before it would expire)? How much difference is the pricing new vs used?  Look under the camper any signs of rubbing or scrapes.  Hook it up to water and try the city water, fill some of the water tank and try the  water on the pump.  Hot Water Heater - does it heat?  If the pricie is right look to see how much it would cost you to fix it yourself.  Good Luck! 
Podsible Dream View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2011 at 6:00pm
I would also check under the dinette and bed in the closed compartments for signs of mold and water damage.
I have had to tighten or re-do the screws on all of the cabinet hinges on my '10 171, check those out.
The AC is notoriouly loud, so don't obsess on that. Your car buying instincts should be valuable in any case.
Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Dodge Durango Crew 5.7 L Hemi V8
Robwid View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2011 at 9:56pm
Thanks all for the good suggestions.  The dealer is asking $12500 with a 90 day guarantee (I didn't pursue what was covered).  Our local Forest River dealer is asking 15500 for a new model 177 so you you can see my temptation.  That $3000 will but a lot of gas!

I appreciate the help!
rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2011 at 11:19pm
One thing you might want to do if you are planning on storing it for winter is to ask them to store till spring and then once you pick it up start the 90 days. I bought a used camper like that a few years back. 

Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2011 at 5:57am
You mmay want to do a little shopping.  I bought my 2011 177 for just a few hundred dollars more than 12,500.  I don't know if the prices are higher in Oregon.  You may be able to come close to the price of a new one.  Then you may be able to bargain down the used trailer's price.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2011 at 1:31pm
I agree with Keith-N-Dar, the new price sounds quite high.  Many of us have found the cheapest deal from a dealer that advertises heavily online - and then used that as a bargaining chip with a local dealer.  I got my local dealer to come within a few hundred dollars of the deal I found online (roughly the price of your used one), after starting out around the price of your new one.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
sfish View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2011 at 3:30pm
There was a dealer west of St. Cloud Minnesota that had some new 2010 and 2010s still for sale a few weeks ago and the prices were really cheap. It would be a great place to camp in the spring if you are in for a road trip.
sjf
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>