Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAll Year Long

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: All Year Long
    Posted: 21 Nov 2011 at 9:50am
Being here in south TX we will continue to camp about every other weekend.  This holiday weekend Port Aransas, IB Magee Beach Park.
2011 R-176 Nuestro Pod
2014 Silverado
George & Nancy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2011 at 11:33am
We've been camping in our 2012 176 RPOD since the middle of October. There is about 5 inches of snow now. The coldest it has been is -8 c and the water froze in the bathroom, it didn't take long to thaw out, though. We've noticed a lot of drafts from the slide-out, but other than that it's been very comfortable. We're at a campground in Castlegar, BC, so we are using an electric heater that has been working very well. 
George & Nancy
2012 RPod 176
Cranbrook, BC, Canada
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2011 at 12:43pm
Welcome George & Nancy.  When you say the water froze in your bathroom, do you mean in the shower faucet and/or toilet flush system?  Or are you storing jugs of water in the bathroom?  If you still have water in your water system with temps dropping to -8 C it is time to winterize it.  There are ways to get around this - like using heat tape and insulation on the water hose, but keeping the exposed parts underneath the pod from freezing will be much more difficult w/o some major modifications.  A lot easier to winterize it and store your potable water in jugs inside (and then use it outside).  You can use the toilet but use a jug of RV antifreeze as flush "water" to prevent the black tank from freezing up.

Click here for a long thread on how to winterize.  It only takes about 20 minutes to do it once you've done it a time or two.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2011 at 1:32pm
Techntrek - that 20 minutes is just the work on the camper, you still also have to find the wrench, get the equipment out, find a few beers to help drown the sorrows out, have a cook out, and then after that put it all away.  I figure a day project :)

Take the humor in my post - It is not hard at all and gets easier each time you do it. Just need to be careful of the freezing
George & Nancy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2011 at 1:40pm
We have heat tape on everything that needs it, we're just leaving the tap in the bathroom dripping at night, if it's going to be cold. We're in a campground with full services and most of the other trailers are skirted in, we're going home in 2 or 3 days so we'll winterize it before we go. We're really enjoying it for winter camping, just bought it in September so we haven't done any camping in the spring or summer yet, but we're both looking forward to it.
George & Nancy
2012 RPod 176
Cranbrook, BC, Canada
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2011 at 2:28pm
rpodcamper, too true when I take my car or camper over to my friend's house to get some work done.  Installing the weight distribution hitch took half the day due to the beer and grilling!  Big smile

G & N, happy to hear you are enjoying some winter camping.  Too often when a few leaves start falling people pack up and go home, not to be seen again until the leaves start reappearing.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Hansonz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2011 at 3:44pm
I think my favorite time for camping is from October to May. Here in Texas, the heat can be a problem in summer. Still go, but still enjoy the cooler months. 
pamspod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2011 at 12:33pm
I've been in a tent where I poured sweat all night long, and also when I had to sleep in my clothes and coat inside my sleeping bag and was still freezing!!  This is why I have wanted a camper - so I don't have to limit my getaways to a perfect weather scenario.  Of course I am sleeping in my new Pod for the first time tomorrow night - and the temp will be below freezing - so we'll see how I hold up!Ermm
Pam
'10 R-pod 171
'10 Chevy Equinox
P's in a Pod!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2011 at 3:17pm
Good luck!  Let us know how it went, when you return.  (Hint: we really like pictures, too)
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2011 at 8:51am
Originally posted by pamspod

I've been in a tent where I poured sweat all night long, and also when I had to sleep in my clothes and coat inside my sleeping bag and was still freezing!!  This is why I have wanted a camper - so I don't have to limit my getaways to a perfect weather scenario.  Of course I am sleeping in my new Pod for the first time tomorrow night - and the temp will be below freezing - so we'll see how I hold up!Ermm

How did you make out?
"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>