R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThere's Always Something ...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: There's Always Something ...
    Posted: 25 Oct 2011 at 8:10pm
Winding down to the pick up of our 177 HRE and just found out we have to buy a controller for the electronic brakes. It all makes good sense but we're ready to get our Pod home, covered and plugged in for the winter. Allready snowing like crazy out there.

MJ
Livin' the Dream    ...'Slogger
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2011 at 9:28pm
Hey Slog, when I picked up our 172 2 weeks ago, they said we need to cut into the wiring under your dash and install a controller $125.00. Nope, as an A C Delco tech Automotive shop owner resist any attempts to cut into factory wiring period. They had a Tekonsha prodigy rf brake controller.  basically it has an inertia sensor that is mounted on the frame of the pod, the harder the tow vehicle brakes the more it applies the trailer brakes. It has a remote that plugs into your 12 acc socket, it has a push button on one side for applying trailer brakes only, and it has a thumb wheel to change the settings. Our son and daughter have vehicles that can tow the 172, hook up, plug in brakes work. it works in reverse also. at the rv dealer it was $460.00 , you may be able to get one on line for less, takes 15 minutes to install it, a monkey can set it up. the bad part is our son and daughter now can hook up and go without any "brake controller installation" hey wait a minute who took our pod ???????
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
Footslogger03 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2011 at 9:50pm
Thanks for that feedback man. I've got a 2011 Toyota Tacoma with the factory towing package. The truck is already pre-wired for an electronic brake controller    ....and they gave me the connector/wiring harness when I bought the truck last December. So, I'm a little less reluctant to let them install the controller. Toyota doesn't make a controller so either way it's a bit of a dice roll. I'm gonna go ahead andnlet the rv dealer do the install.

Thanks again    ...

MJ
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2011 at 7:38am
I highly recommend the Tekonsha line of inertia-sensor-based controllers. Do NOT get an older timer-based controller. The difference is night and day and worth the $50 difference. I got my Prodigy a half-dozen years ago for around $100. The next time around I will probably go with the wireless version that dsmith mentioned.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2011 at 11:49am
Where is your Prodigy controller mounted ? I understand that there is some choice as to where it is placed.
By the way    ...the brand/model this dealer installs is the Tekonsha Prodigy - - so it looks like I'm getting started on the right foot.

Thanks   ....

MJ
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2011 at 12:28pm
I too have the Prodigy and am well pleased with it.  Mine is mounted (the only place I could put it) under the dashboard - within reach.  I have the factory tow package and installed myself.....pretty easy on a Chevy - don't know about Toyota.  I have found that a setting of 1.4 works well for me.  Mine (if memory serves) just had to be mounted at less than a 45 degree angle.  I'm thinking the newer ones can be mounted even at a 90 degree angle.

There are a couple of "agressiveness" settings that can be used, but I don't.  I believe they might be used for bigger/heavier trailers. 
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2011 at 12:33pm
Mine is under the dash, too. It allows for a fairly high mounting angle and mine is probably pushing the limits, facing upwards.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2011 at 12:41pm
Mine is the rf (wireless) the controller mounts on the left side of the trailer frame behind front jack, plug in back goes toward the trailer wiring, plug in front goes into tow vehicle, the controller is about 5 inches long 3 inches wide and 2 inches deep, is water resistant ( dont submerge) there is a hand held unit that plugs into cigar lighter and you can view the settings while braking.  An interesting note I was about a block away from the pod and could see .c. which means the remote could see the pod a block away, I understand my remote/controller are paired so that others going down the road cannot interfere or cause my brakes to apply. Happy Pod Haulin
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2011 at 2:35pm
All I can say is that this has been quite an education     ...and I sincerely thank each and every one of you for your feedback and input/experience. In our previous rv life the trailer was equipped with a "surge brake" system which did require annual lube and inspection but no controller and no additional wiring of any kind, aside from the standard 7 pin connector

Based on previous projects and my background I am fairly certain that I could just buy the controller unit oitright and install it myself. That being said, I have a heart condition and working upside down in tight spaces isn't really feasible. It's not going to break the bank to let the rv dealer do the install and that way I have someone to blame if everything goes to sheit in a handbasket. Another reason for letting the dealer handle the install is that the temps over the next few days are supposed to stay below freezing and I don't have a large enough (or heated) garage to work in. The dealer has an enormous service garage and will handle the install while my wife and I are getting the rv orientation.

The good news is that this dealer installs the Tekonsha Prodigy and I am getting the more expensive model - - not sure if I'll go all the way to the RF level. I'll most likely initiate a "We're home and safe" thread.

Thanks again   ....

MJ

We pick up the camper at 10 on Saturday and, weather permitting, we should be home by mid afternoon. At that point we will have about 2 hours of R-Pod towing under our belt.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2011 at 4:51pm
And there's not a thing wrong with what you are doing. Smile  Working under a dashboard, even for a short while, is not my favorite thing....one has to bend in all sorts of un-natural positions Cry.  Good luck bringing the new Pod home.  I think you'll like the Prodigy.  Price vs. what you get ....it's a good deal.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>