Topic ClosedNew toy - log splitter

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: New toy - log splitter
    Posted: 20 Oct 2011 at 6:56pm
For the last few years I've had a small electric 4-ton log splitter. Did most of what I wanted but the stationary wedge ripped off the base last year. Logs were starting to pile up so I knew it was time to get a new one. Today I received and assembled a full-size 16-ton splitter. I chose the electric option, in the past when I rented them I hated the noise and exhaust in my face from the gas engine. This one is nice and quiet. No ear plugs or cans required. I only had time to split one thick log but it cut through without a problem. But I'll be camping the next 2 weekends so those piles of logs will have to wait...
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2011 at 7:50pm
I have been using a sledge, wedges, splitting maul and a ax, however I am 62 and don't seem to be able to split as much wood as I did 30 years ago, Donna and I are enjoying a fire right now on this cool 45 degree Indiana night, I was thinking about an electric splitter but have never talked to anyone that has experience with them, buying a gas unit $800.00 for junk or $1400.00 for a nice one is out of the question, I love splitting wood, it is a form of therapy, but you pay for it tomorrow with a sledge.  
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2011 at 9:36pm
If I may... if you are splitting by hand, as I do most of the time, pick up a Fiskar's X25 or X27 Super Splitting Axe. I would have never believed the thing would work as well as it does, but the wear and tear on my joints is down about 80%, split and stacked over 8 cords this year. We heat with wood, and we wanted to get ahead a few years worth of wood.. We are community owners of a very nice 35 ton splitter, and I will use it for very large stuff, but that Fiskars is all I have used for the last 3 years otherwise.

Obligatory wood heat referanced photo..

OK, one more..

Smile
iamsmonk View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2011 at 9:37pm
Interesting thread...I'm fixing to buy a log splitter.  Am in the process of having about 30 really big trees cut down in my yard.  LOTS of hickory trees (oh how I hate those hickory nuts) and a few pines.  It was cheaper to have the guys leave the trunks in firewood size pieces, but now they have to be split.  I have 2 fireplaces in my house, not to mention the firewood would come in very handy while camping.  I'm also gaining enormous amounts of mulch, an added bonus Thumbs Up.  I figure once I get all the wood split, I can resell the splitter and still come out somewhat to the good.  Who knows, maybe I'll hire myself out on weekend to split wood for others LOL
You can see from the photo why I'm having so many trees cut.  The house is practically hidden and we get no sunlight.  Starting to do bad things to the house with all the overhanging branches and with all the shade I can't get grass to grow and dad gum it, I want a grass yard!!!Pig  It's not a very good picture of all the wood, but it's a huge pile already and they've only taken down 5 trees.

Sherrie & Carol,
Henri, Jay & Tanner
2004 Dodge Dakota w/4.7 V8
2011 r-pod 177

Let's go camping!
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2011 at 9:55am
Well, the shade has its advantages. Our A/C bill is far lower than others in our area who sit in the middle of open fields. We are completely surrounded by trees. But I do understand issues with mold and dampness can be a problem, too.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
sfish View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2011 at 10:00am
Play before work !! Thats what I would do as well.
sjf
 Post Reply Post Reply