Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Events and Campouts
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWinter Camp French Creek, PA

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 11>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winter Camp French Creek, PA
    Posted: 04 Jan 2012 at 8:48pm
Is this it so far?  I'm considering it as a nice winter trip for the wife and I.  We'll have to see.

-Podsible Dream C33.
-techntrek C35.
-rpodcamper.com C37.

"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road
rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2012 at 8:55pm
yes it is so far!  still have sites open and not too hard to get to.  Your more than welcome!
Podsible Dream View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2012 at 9:14pm
I don't remember a club house, butvwe can always meet at the Hopewell Furnace site and kibbutz for a while. It's free entry and has pleasant rangers! We will have our dome up with a heater- should be able to seat 8 and be cozy!
Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Dodge Durango Crew 5.7 L Hemi V8
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2012 at 9:54pm

Originally posted by rpodcamper.com

Add some snow in the mix and it could get real fun. Reading got hit yesterday morning with a freak snow squal that really messed up rush hour in the morning the road crew were not ready at all for any of it. And it was a very small band but enough to cause gridlock. Looking forward to next weekend.

Same thing happened north of Baltimore.  I was lucky and was only 5 minutes from home when the squall hit so I got home w/o a problem.  My wife was an hour behind me and it took her forever.  Even small hills that normally get pre-salted were instead a sheet of ice.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2012 at 10:07pm
I think we can all squeeze under one Dome, but you may have to move the kitchenette outside.  Unhappy
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2012 at 7:55am
For those who have been here before, would C32 be the next logical site to get if we decided to attend or would C39 be better?  Any benefit to one of those sites over the other?

"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2012 at 8:58am
Nascar- from our review of the sites in November, we liked 32 but there is either a drop off the asphalt pad to the ground or it goes up hill from the pad. We were looking for the a level site to put up the dome, so we chose 33 instead. The higher 30s and 40s are handicapped accessible and have a larger pad suitable for chairs and folks with limited mobility. I don't think there is a restriction against the rest of us using them. I doubt that there will be a full house, so you might check when you get there to see which ones are open. At teh enrance to the camping area there is a little gatehouse contact station (closed in winter) and a bulletin board on the right side of the road that has the reserved sites noted. You should be able to occupy any unreserved site once you have set up and moved your reserved tag to your new site. We actually had reserved a site in November and found it unsuitable, so moved to an unoccupied site and had no problems.
BTW, the loop is on a hillside - 1 thru 6 are at the top then it goes down to the 10s and 20s and back up to the high 30s and 40s. 33 is just below where it reaches the top and is somewhat below 37 and 39.

Hope to meet you there! Walt
Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2012 at 9:00am
Tech - we can move the kitchen outside for company - but you have to leave the anti-gravity chairs at home and bring folding chairs!    
Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2012 at 11:22am
OK, thanks.  I'm assuming everyone is leaving their Pods winterized and will just bring water with them or use whatever the CG has?
"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2012 at 1:01pm

LOL, yeah I guess I'll need to bring a bag chair for this trip (just me coming this time so far).  I will also bring a propane-powered ceramic-log "campfire", which we use under our EZ-ups during cold weather or rainy trips for heat (I enclose the sides of the EZ-ups to keep in the heat and keep out the rain/snow).  Keep the corners of the doors cracked for ventillation, and we'll stay toasty inside - we can even roast marshmallows.  Hmmm, I may bring one of my EZ-ups, if there is room on the site we can put it up flush to one of the sides of the Dome and double the useable space.

Calling for 50 F tomorrow and the next day around here.  I was joking about warm temps, but maybe we'll really see them next weekend.

nascar, even if the temps are warm I will leave mine winterized.  I'm bringing several gallon jugs of tap water for hand washing, drinking, etc, and will use a basin in the sink to catch the water so I can throw it outside.  I'm also bringing a gallon of RV antifreeze to use as flush water but I'll try not to use that at all if possible.  Someone (I think) said the bath house is open and heated so I'll use that for showers.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 11>