Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFirst time out

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: First time out
    Posted: 16 Oct 2011 at 7:32pm
Picked up the RP-172 last Thursday and set out Saturday morning for Hoosier Nat Forest, was better than expected, its pulls great, seems like it likes 55 to 60 mph (remember when u double the velocity the drag increases 4 times) really hilly in Southern Ind. I did not break anything, Wife and I are going to have to work on hand signals when I am backing into a spot. (folded arms tells me nothing) We had a Blast, cooked outside and in, I(yes the smoke detector went off for a good laugh) we walked about 3 miles in the hills (good for 62 year old bellies) Just like a couple of High School kids. The furnace is a little noisy in the middle of the night, time for a ceramic heater. making a too do list. Can't wait for the next trip, I think we can get in at least 1 to 3 more trips before having to winterize. Donna is alreay planning on next spring. thanks to all for the tips, it made our first trip out really a great memory with more in the Future.
see ya on the road. Dane and Donna.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
sfish View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2011 at 7:47pm
Congratulations on your maiden voyage. I hope you have many more Happy Camping trips in the future.
sjf
psaman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2011 at 8:09pm
That's the thing about Podders, always looking forward to the next trip!!
2011 R-177 "Sponge-Pod"
2011 F-150 XLT "Texas Edition"
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2011 at 8:43am
Glad to hear your first trip out was a good one.  A little ceramic heater is definently a wise purchase.  We were in Souther Indiana this past weekend also and our little heater we take had us hot and opening windows in the middle of the night.  Plus it's very quiet!

Good luck on the hand signals.  Let us know how those work out!
tpierce220 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2011 at 8:54am
It looks like you had a wonderful time being out.  It takes practice getting backed in...there are times when all I hear is a voice but no partner telling me where to go...yet in the great scheme of things, we're getting a lot better backing into a camping spot.  

Happy Podding!
Adventures with ¡Podtástic!--Life in a Forest River RPod 182G with Tim and Louis and our two cats, Desi and Lucy. Check our website at http://podtastic.info for information on our journeys.
pmjensen View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2011 at 11:21am
Happy you had a great time.  We are in our 60's also and have enjoyed our 176 for a little over a year.  Fortunately, we don't have to put ours away as we can camp here in So. TX year 'round. 

Happy Podding
2011 R-176 Nuestro Pod
2014 Silverado
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2011 at 12:32pm
Congrats on a good trip. You'll get the hand signals down with practice. Things like "instead of waving your fingers, show me with two hands how much room I have left". My wife is still working on that one. I also have some safety rules, like "everyone stays in the car (except Mom of course) while I'm backing up", and for my wife "I'm not moving until I can see you in my side mirror, if you later disappear I'm not moving until I can see you again".

On a related note, my wife knows some basic sign language because she uses it in her classroom. We were talking to another family this weekend who taught the alphabet to everyone in the family partly so they can communicate with each other from a distance. I thought that was a really great idea so I'm going to ask my wife to teach us. Might help with backing up, too!
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2011 at 2:32pm
Backing.. uhoh.

But glad you enjoyed your first camping trip. Hoosier is very nice, about 45 minutes north of us.

Our backing "problem " stems from the fact that I learned how to back a trailer, or tank, in the Army, and they have a very easy to use set of signals...... that my wife doesn't know yet.. "pushing" her hands at me is (A) nearly impossible to discern in the rear view mirror, and means "personal foul" to me.. not "stop"...lol
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2011 at 2:58pm
LOL!

Well, if you keep backing up and put a dent in your rear bumper, that would count as a personal foul.   
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Hodge-PODge View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2011 at 3:19pm
Gee, y'all are lucky.  I have to keep getting in and out of my car to make sure I'm backed up in the right spot!  No spotters for me . . . but then again, I'm not apt to run over anyone, am I?  (Oh, and I do have a back-up camera - makes hitching up so-o-o-o-o much easier, so, on second though, maybe I do have my own kind of luck.) Tongue

Diane
2011 RP 177, the Hodge-PODge
2011 Mercedes ML350
"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it."

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>