Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRV'ing Vs. Motels

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: RV'ing Vs. Motels
    Posted: 10 Oct 2011 at 1:48pm
I live in Dallas and thinking about taking my family of 3 to San Antonio Sea World for the weekend. If i tow the TT with my 2008 Highlander, it will cost me about $.15/mile extra for the towing. Which = $86 round trip. Plus RV park fees. 

Couldn't I use that money to get a cheap motel room? I know you'll say I could cook my own food to save also but cooking requires work. Towing also has extra wear and tear on the vehicle. What are your thoughts on the economics of camping and driving vs. motels?
secretbard View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2011 at 2:22pm
That's a really good point.  I've thought about this and come up with the conclusion that a one night stay with the Pod really isn't cost effective and you'd be better off in a motel.  The longer you stay in one spot, the more cost effective it will become (say, you are taking a trip and plan to stay for 3 or 4 days instead of just one/ factor in the motel costs for each night and you will make out in the end, the more nights you stay beyond just one).  
2010 Rpod 172   :)
2004 Chevy Trailblazer
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2011 at 4:42pm
I'm sure everyone has heard on the national news about....BED BUGS!  You take your chances even in a top end motel/hotel. 

Another thing that has to be factored in is eating.  Motel = eating at a restaurant,  Camper = eat at your mobile home.  Make some possum stew!!

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2011 at 5:10pm
I just thought of something.  Outside of San Antonio is the small town of Castroville.  They have the Castroville Regional  Park with a campground.  Its a very nice campground and if I remember right it is cheaper than other places in the area.  The park itself has picnic tables etc. and sets along a small river.  Castroville is a very interesting little town.  It probably has more old historic houses than any other town of like size in the country.  There is even a hotel/stage stop from the 1800's still there.

Here is a link: http://www.castroville.com/  I check: Full Hookups @ $25.00 a day.

Terry

PS: there is good real German and French restaurants in town.
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
Podsible Dream View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2011 at 7:42pm
Soapbox time!!!!
It is NOT about the dollars, it is about the experience...
The closeness to the earth, the nearness of the stars, the completeness of the family- sharing the same space...
This isn't a poor man's recreation, by any accounting. It's all about the world, nature, and being together in it. Trying to compare the costs of living in a motel or hotel with the experience gained from camping as a family is beyond my metaphorical abilities...
Just do it!
Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Dodge Durango Crew 5.7 L Hemi V8
DocTom View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2011 at 8:29pm
Originally posted by Podsible Dream

Soapbox time!!!!
The closeness to the earth, the nearness of the stars, the completeness of the family- sharing the same space...
This isn't a poor man's recreation, by any accounting. It's all about the world, nature, and being together in it. Trying to compare the costs of living in a motel or hotel with the experience gained from camping as a family is beyond my metaphorical abilities...
Just do it!
Plus 1 - - if economy was only the issue, I'd still be tent camping! However, as the years go by I enjoy having the distance from the ground to standing reduced by the height of the bed . . . along with all the other amenities.  I will never give up on camping or being out of doors though. I've told my kids several times. "When I can no longer get my walker out in the woods, just point my wheel chair west and give me a shove."

But, to answer your question . . . modest motel, one or two nights = less expense!

We also travel with a dog, again, many motels do allow dogs at an extra expense, but I feel safe leaving the pup in the R-Pod, while it is prohibited in a motel.
Brush and Floss, It is the Secret of Life!
psaman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2011 at 8:31pm
Originally posted by Podsible Dream

Soapbox time!!!!
Just do it!
Agreed!! The view I get, looking at the stars ,sitting outside Spongepod at night cannot compare.
2011 R-177 "Sponge-Pod"
2011 F-150 XLT "Texas Edition"
Iteach5th View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2011 at 8:38pm
Don't know about you, but I sleep much better in my own bed. It's not about the money.

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, either way you are right"- Henry Ford

2011 RP-177
2009 Jeep Cherokee
1982 Coleman Redwood pup
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2011 at 9:36pm

As someone else said, for a weekend trip a motel can be cheaper.  Go for a week and the camper is  often cheaper.  The family experience... priceless.

For a reference, we took our pod 925 miles to Florida over spring break, then later took just our van, and then later our Prius (we were chasing the last 2 shuttle launches).  The cost in gas round-trip was $900 with the pod, $260 with the van, $135 for the Prius.  If we had stayed at an average resort hotel over spring break and took the Prius we would have broken even vs. towing the pod and staying at a great State Park.  For one of our later trips we did do that (but just for a few days not a week).  I much preferred the park.  

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2011 at 12:31pm
I feel much the same as the others........I RV/camp because that is what I want to do.  One could stay a lot of nights in motels for what one spends on buying & maintaining a camper, camping fees, increased fuel consumption, etc., etc. 

IMHO, do what you want to do.....which ever way you would enjoy the trip the most.   
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>