FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFirst real trip with the pod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Topic: First real trip with the pod
    Posted: 02 Oct 2011 at 6:30pm
Just got back from a weekend of dry camping Smile and dug out my reservations..........

Smoky Mts. - Elkmont - Friday thru Tues - B loop
Shenandoah - Big Meadows - Tues thru Fri - E loop

Fri & Sat ?????  Undecided
FISHTAIL View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2011 at 11:17pm
Friday the 21st?  If so, that's when we are arriving, although we'll be in D loop.  There weren't enough spots open on E for everyone we have going.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2011 at 7:17am
If all goes to plan, I'll be leaving that morning.  It's about a 12 hour drive back to Indiana.  This time, I plan to stop somewhere in West Virginia overnight (making it 2 - 6 hour drives).  12 hours "in the saddle" is a bit much.

The E loop was pretty full when I booked a few months ago.  There were none along the outer edge.....where I wanted.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2011 at 7:43am

Its too bad I can't squeeze in a trip at that time, Shenandoah is only about 4 hours from me.  I've backpacked there a few times but haven't been there in probably 12 years.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2011 at 4:27pm
Sorry we all couldn't meet up!  Maybe next year we could throw something together????  It would be nice to meet a few other forum members.

I haven't been to Shenandoah since 2007.  I was going to go last year but, ended up just staying longer at the Smoky's due to the weather.  Big Meadows is going to be a new one for me.  I've driven past it 2 or 3 times while driving on Skyline Drive, but never went back to look.  I just guessed it was a...well...BIG MEADOW!  I'm a tress and mountains sort of guy.

If anyone has any hints/tips as to a good route/exit to take - I'll be coming up 81.  When I have stayed at Loft Mountain, I just came in the South entrance of the Park.  I seem to remember a low tunnel somewhere on Skyline but, I can't remember if it is North or South of Big Meadows.  (They caution RVs) 
Leaflin View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2011 at 9:00am
Originally posted by David

Sorry we all couldn't meet up!  Maybe next year we could throw something together????  It would be nice to meet a few other forum members.

I haven't been to Shenandoah since 2007.  I was going to go last year but, ended up just staying longer at the Smoky's due to the weather.  Big Meadows is going to be a new one for me.  I've driven past it 2 or 3 times while driving on Skyline Drive, but never went back to look.  I just guessed it was a...well...BIG MEADOW!  I'm a tress and mountains sort of guy.

If anyone has any hints/tips as to a good route/exit to take - I'll be coming up 81.  When I have stayed at Loft Mountain, I just came in the South entrance of the Park.  I seem to remember a low tunnel somewhere on Skyline but, I can't remember if it is North or South of Big Meadows.  (They caution RVs) 

I think you are going to love Big Meadows. Don’t let the name fool you as the elevation is 3,500 feet. The land was cleared to house the CCC when Skyline Drive was being built. A lady I visit in a local assisted living facility served food to the workers and was the first civilian to officially cross the drive.

The tunnel is at Thornton Gap, north of Big Meadows. I believe the clearance in 12’ 8”. We have been through it with and without risers, no problem.

Our favorite site is E-185 because of the fantastic view. At night you can see the lights in the valley. It does get rather windy on the sites overlooking the valley.

Enjoy!

Leaf-Pod 173
97 Ford Explorer
http://www.leaflin.net
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2011 at 7:46pm
Originally posted by Leaflin

I think you are going to love Big Meadows. Don’t let the name fool you as the elevation is 3,500 feet. The land was cleared to house the CCC when Skyline Drive was being built. A lady I visit in a local assisted living facility served food to the workers and was the first civilian to officially cross the drive.

The tunnel is at Thornton Gap, north of Big Meadows. I believe the clearance in 12’ 8”. We have been through it with and without risers, no problem.

Our favorite site is E-185 because of the fantastic view. At night you can see the lights in the valley. It does get rather windy on the sites overlooking the valley.

Enjoy!

Thanks! Smile  You were one of the ones who made me decide on Big Meadows, this time.  Also, thanks for the info about the tunnel.  I tried to get site E-185 (I referrred to your previous posts) but, all the ones right on the AT were taken.  I settled for E-189...I hope it's OK. 
Leaflin View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2011 at 9:07pm

Thanks! Smile  You were one of the ones who made me decide on Big Meadows, this time.  Also, thanks for the info about the tunnel.  I tried to get site E-185 (I referrred to your previous posts) but, all the ones right on the AT were taken.  I settled for E-189...I hope it's OK. 

You're welcome Smile

We had E-189 last time. It's a large site and a bit unlevel but most of them are.
One good thing is it isn't as windy as the outer ones.
I'm glad you didn't get E-187. The table and fire ring end up on the drivers side of your trailer.
I suggest you get a map and rate the sites you like for the next time.
A-69 looks good. It is in the generator free zone which to me is a plus.
Which way are you going when you leave?

Leaf-Pod 173
97 Ford Explorer
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2011 at 4:59am
Originally posted by Leaflin

I suggest you get a map and rate the sites you like for the next time.  LOL I always do this..."scout" out the "good" sites for the next visit.
A-69 looks good. It is in the generator free zone which to me is a plus.  I prefer the generator free sites, also.  With dual batteries, I just don't need to use one.  Plus, it makes for a more peaceful stay.  Ya gotta love these guys with gensets that sound like Top Fuel Dragsters! LOL Pig
Which way are you going when you leave?  Nothing "set in stone" yet.  I've been playing with Mapquest and I could go a couple of ways - North and eventually pick up 70 West to Indy or South and West going thru West Virginia, Kentucky and then to Indy.  The latter has a KOA about exactly 1/2 way, just West of Charleston, WV.  Mapquest says about 6.5 hours but, it would probably more like 8 with the extra fuel stops and an occasional "Dixie" stop.  I like WV but, (on the secondary highways) one can really use up a set of brake pads quick.

Leaflin View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2011 at 7:29pm
David and Fishtail
We took 'Leaf Pod' up to Shenandoah on the 16th, 17th and 18th. We were going to stay longer but the heater wasn't working.
We returned on the 20th for a hike in the bitter cold. I didn't see anyone in your site David and figured the rain and cold had shortened your stay.
We did fix the heater, mud daubers had build a nest in the combustion chamber.
Leaf-Pod 173
97 Ford Explorer
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>