R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPowering a Pod with a Prius

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Powering a Pod with a Prius
    Posted: 24 Sep 2011 at 9:19pm

As I type this I'm running most of my home from my wife's Prius.  No, it isn't April 1st.  Three years ago I bought a large inverter and a large battery bank, so I could run most of the 120 volt circuits in my house at night when I wouldn't want to listen to a generator (during an outage).  I knew at the time that I could hook up the inverter to the traction battery (the big one that drives the electric motors) in our Prius, but I didn't.  Without going into geeky details, the inverter is a special type which can accept the high DC voltage output by the Prius, most of the ones you find at the store and online can't work with that high voltage.

I finally decided what the heck, and made the connection after a few hour's work today.  I'm going to run it overnight to measure the amount of gas it consumes.  Reading discussions online from others that have done this, it could run for 3 to 5 days on one tank of gas although I'm only going to shoot for about 15 hours.

So how is this a podmod?  Now our Prius is a big generator on wheels.  We can go dry camping and still use the microwave and A/C without hauling around and listening to a loud generator.  Smile

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
secretbard View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2011 at 10:04pm
Awesome.  Cool

Too bad the Prius can't tow the pod, but there are some SUVs I see coming off the production line right now that are hybrid and can tow the Pod, so I'm sure there will be more posts exploring this option in the future.  Thanks for sharing and keep us posted.  This is very cool.  
2010 Rpod 172   :)
2004 Chevy Trailblazer
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2011 at 3:33am
That is a great idea!  Can you post some pictures of the setup?

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2011 at 12:11pm

I took pics but I need to resize and post them first.  I ended up running it for 14 hours and put 2.8 gallons back in the tank, which works out to 0.2 gallons per hour.  Comparable to the Honda and Yamaha inverter-generators.  Very efficient.

It is too bad I can't tow with the Prius, like you said, maybe in the future!

furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2011 at 2:19pm
It seems that.. if the Prius can't tow the pod.. but the tow vehicle can carry the regular genny..

It's a net loss in the Co2 factor because you are driving a second vehicle...

BUT, I am very impressed with the ability to use the power in the Prius battery pack.. details would be awesome, as my parents have a Fusion hybrid, and it seems it should work with it also... Could be handy info for them if another "big one" hits northern Cali..
Hodge-PODge View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2011 at 8:19pm
Doug,
I swear, that inventive mind of yours never stops!  I love your Prius Pod Mod!  Thumbs Up  I think it's a great idea - you get to "drive" your generator instead of carrying it.
Diane
2011 RP 177, the Hodge-PODge
2011 Mercedes ML350
"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it."

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2011 at 10:16pm

I wish I could take credit for the idea, but others went before me.  I did an in-depth write-up on a solar forum I frequent if you want pics and the boring tech details.  http://www.wind-sun.com/ForumVB/showthread.php?t=12962

Sorry I didn't post them directly here, but its a pain getting them up on one forum let alone 2!

furpod, the Fusion probably has its own voltage range which may make it difficult to find an inverter or UPS that can handle it.  Not impossible, it will just take some investigation.  A much easier alternative is to stick with the 12 volt system.  Most hybrids drive the 12 volt system from the high volt system (no alternators like your standard car) through a DC-to-DC converter.  A Prius can handle a 1000 watt load on top of its internal 12 volt loads (its converter is about 1200 watts).  A Volt can handle 1500 watts (its converter is 2000 watts).  You would have to do some checking online to find out what the converter in the Fusion will do, then deduct a few hundred watts to see what you can use yourself.  1000 watts is more than enough to keep a fridge running, plus a few CFLs and a TV.  And you won't have to dig in any deeper than the 12 volt battery.

TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2011 at 4:20am
Doug: I couldn't get your link above to work.  Message said "Server not found".

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2011 at 10:55am
Cool stuff......a "generator" that you can drive! Smile
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2011 at 12:27pm
Odd, I've now made 2 posts to this thread that later disappeared.  The 2nd post that went POOF, I was trying to say that I've fixed the link above.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>