R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAxle Risers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Poll Question: How many have axle risers on your Pods?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
65 [75.58%]
9 [10.47%]
11 [12.79%]
1 [1.16%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Axle Risers
    Posted: 28 Sep 2011 at 6:20pm
This sewer solution works well and will pump uphill.  Sold by Camping World.
Marshal
2011 R-177
Longview, Tx
Rabbit View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2011 at 11:36pm
What are axle risers and what are they used for?
Rabbit
Rabbit View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2011 at 11:38pm
Does Forest River sell full covers for the different R Pods?
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2011 at 8:09am
Originally posted by Rabbit

What are axle risers and what are they used for?
Rabbit

Does Forest River sell covers for the different R Pods?

Axle risers are spacers that go between the axle and the frame, lifting the BODY of the camper about 4" higher. If you search for pictures of a "Hood River Edition", they all have them.. I think in the west, any place with Pods will have HRE's , or heck maybe that is all you have out there...?

Forest River does sell covers, most think them a bit expensive and get one from Northern Tool or Cabela's, among other places that carry them. If you get or have an 18 series.. right now the only source is F.R.

secretbard View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2012 at 9:31pm
I think you guys may have convinced me to get the risers.  If I am correct in your assessments, they will help me level out the Pod to where the hitch hooks up.  Right now, I have a 3 1/4 inch drop on my hitch and the Pod is nose up... enough that it is not level when I am hanging out in the Pod while still hooked up to the Trailblazer.  I was doing some measuring and even after getting the risers, I may still have to get a different hitch or a 5 1/4 inch drop hitch in order for the Pod to be more level when hitched.  Why the hell is my Trailblazer so high?  Anyone else have or have had a Trailblazer in the past encounter this conundrum?  As I mentioned before, when my Pod is hitched the Pod is a bit low on the back which does bother me some and I did scrape the back stabilizers a couple of times on the drive down the bumpy backroads in VA last year.  I know I mentioned before about the increase in height, but I guess I will have to deal with the increase in 4 inches and avoid those bridge underpasses that are lower.  

Questions.

Am I to believe that the height will increase 4 inches?  How high will the whole Pod be with the risers (with the A/C)?  

I am not crazy about installing my risers myself, but the nearest Pod service center is quite a distance away from me.  I figure that if I can grease my own bearings, I should be able to do the axle risers.  What is the torque pounds one has to have on the bolts that hold the risers in place?  I have a torque driver that will go as high as 180 pounds of torque.  Another reason I am considering the axle risers is that there are a few places (namely a Duncan Donuts in Marshalls Creek, PA) where the dip in the parking lot entrance is so deep that I can see scrape marks in the macadam that were made by many other vehicles passing over that spot.  I just know that I would bottom out there and in a few other spots.  Thanks again to those on this forum who have posted information on this and are willing to answer my questions.  I love you guys.  Broken Heart  
2010 Rpod 172   :)
2004 Chevy Trailblazer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2012 at 9:47pm
I am actually thinking about keeping the same hitch which is a 3 1/4 inch drop because it may actually work with the 4 inch axle risers.  In other words, I'll see what the difference is after installing the axle risers.  It might just level out without the lower ball hitch.

In addition to the other questions in the above post, can anyone point me to the post with the picture of the different Pods side-by-side (one with the risers and one without).  I know there is a thread here that shows the step-by-step with pictures of how to install the risers.  Can you guys point me to that thread.  Thanks.    

Edit:  I just remeasured and it looks like with the 4" axle risers, my Pod will level up almost to within one inch of my Trailblazer hooked up with the 3 1/4" drop on my hitch that I have now.
2004 Chevy Trailblazer
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2012 at 8:46pm
I would wait to see how it levels out in the real world.  In the end you want the tongue either level or slightly nose-down.  I think the instructions say how much to torque everything down, but its been a while so I don't remember off the top of my head.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
TIDALWAVE View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2012 at 8:22pm
Determine if you have a Dexter or Lippert Axle before ordering risers from Forest River.
Your manual should be able to tell you which you have.
TIDALWAVE

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2012 at 11:04pm
Originally posted by TIDALWAVE

Determine if you have a Dexter or Lippert Axle before ordering risers from Forest River.
Your manual should be able to tell you which you have.

So, I couldn't find anything in the manual that indicated whether it is a Dexter or Lippert axle.  Which is it?  When I called Forest River, the nice lady took down the last four numbers of my VIN number, so I assume she gave me the right ones.  The riser they sent me is the Lippert.  Doesn't anyone have any insight as to if I received the right one.  I briefly looked under my pod and it looks to be about right.  Thanks for the info.  
2004 Chevy Trailblazer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2012 at 6:00pm
It's supposed to be warm tomorrow (53 degrees), so I plan on doing the axle risers and greasing the bearings in the morning.  Unfortunately, I won't be able to dewinterize the pod as the temperature is still going to be in the 20s for the next couple of weeks.  I peered under the Pod to look at the configuration of the axle and bolts and it seems to match up to the Lippert one they sent me and the picture of the DIY thread.  I'll let you know if I have any problems.  I'm hoping that this will be pretty straight-forward and not too time-consuming.  
2004 Chevy Trailblazer
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>