Topic Closedrpod to Colorado

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: rpod to Colorado
    Posted: 23 Sep 2011 at 11:20am
We got back last night from a two week trip to Rocky Mountain National Park.  We put about 2500 miles on the pod and slept in it for 12 nights.  It was the best trip we have taken, and we are now more sold on our pod than ever!

In the 1100 miles out and back we only saw two other rpods: one in Madison, Wisconsin an hour after leaving home, and one in Estes Park, Colorado.  I thought we would have seen more.

When in the camp grounds we felt like a guppy in a pod of whales, so many large trailers and motor homes.  But we had lots of kind comments and interest from others and it was fun.

We went to watch the start of the annual Elk breeding season at the park, and it is in full swing.  It is like being in a wildlife video all the time!

We are cleaning the pod, and getting it ready to go into storage for the winter.  We take it to have it put away in the morning.  We are taking measurements and thinking about storage options to try in April when we have our next trip planned.

In a few days I have some questions about heater operation among other things.  For now back to pod cleaning.

Keith
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2011 at 12:17pm
Sounds like a neat trip.  Hopefully not too X rated.  Confused
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Butterfly_Lee View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2011 at 2:44pm

Colorado is on my bucket list for places to go...Maybe in another year I try to mountains.  

Like you I just got back from a 3600 mile round trip and only saw two Rpods, both headed west on I-80 in Iowa.  (This was Labor Day weeked)

LeeStar
Still a work in progress, lots of pictures.
http://podterfly.blogspot.com/
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2011 at 7:16pm

I hope you enjoyed the Rocky's as much as I did Thumbs Up

This was July of 2009 and my 2nd trip in the Pod.  I was at site B-20 in the Aspenglen campground.  I had hoped to make it back this year, but it wasn't meant to be.  I am dreaming of a Rocky's - Yellowstone - Glacier trip..........if only gas would get down below $2  CryLOL
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2011 at 9:21pm
We stayed in Aspenglen twice before when we camped in our van.  This time I stayed in town on a parking lot (MOL) because I was concerned that it may freeze at the higher altitude.  We would have been fine.  Next time it will be in Moraine Park if we are there for the elk.  They had animals bugling in the campgroune!
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2011 at 9:37pm
Sweet pic.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2011 at 7:46am
It is a beautiful place.  My wife is a birder, and was able to watch dippers in the river that was on the back side of our campsite three years ago.  Dippers are a small bird that swims in fast water and feeds on bugs.  They are not around Wisconsin, and not very common in Colorado.  It was a treat for her to see them, and a great site for camping.  We had a massive bull elk that walked through the campground every day we were there.  I would recommend Aspenglen to anyone.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2011 at 8:22am
+1 on the recommendation.  I was hoping to see some big horn, but didn't.  I liked Aspenglen because it is smaller and I stayed in the B loop because it is "no generators".  Myself and the camphost were the only 2 hard sided campers in the loop - everyone else was a tent or pop up.  This made for a nice peaceful stay.  Site B-20, while large enough, had no shade (it was the last one available for my desired reservation dates).  Next time, I'm going to get B-7 or 8.

When I was standing here admiring the view, there was a large hawk that was riding the updraft and came literally close enough to touch.  We looked at each other for a few moments, as he lingered - almost as if we both "understood" each other...it's hard to describe, but was really cool.

Yes, the Rocky's are cool.....way cool! Smile
DocTom View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2011 at 4:16pm
Colorado is awesome, and camping there with an R-pod is great. Would love to see pictures of your trip. We spent a week near Leadville (our favorite place in CO) at the end of July. We live a little closer than you, in KCMO, but it is worth the drive no matter where you begin.

Brush and Floss, It is the Secret of Life!
Iteach5th View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2011 at 8:48pm
Glad you had a great trip. We're looking forward to next summer's adventures too. If the weather holds we'll have 1 more trip to the Catskill Mountains Columbus Day weekend.
"Whether you think you can or think you can't, either way you are right"- Henry Ford

2011 RP-177
2009 Jeep Cherokee
1982 Coleman Redwood pup
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>